Featherweight deadlifting 500lbs

I was watching the video below and towards the end, it looks like Giorgio Petrosyan was deadlifting 10 or 12 plates. For a featherweight Muay Thai fighter, that seems like world record weight lifting.

That’s nowhere near world level deadlifting. While that’s strong, it’s not insanely strong. I was a bantamweight deadlifting around 430, and I wouldn’t consider myself a great deadlifter. In my small gym alone I could think of several better deadlifters than me. If you go to any performance based gym, or gym with a decent power lifting or Olympic lifting program and you’ll see a lot more than that.

2 Likes

He pulled it off a box in a split stance with trap bar. Still definitely a strong bloke for his weight

I’d hazard a guess that he’s probably on the monkey juice too but still a legend of the sport

He lifts that weight almost too effortlessly.

Anyone else a bit suspect?

Does the split stance work different muscles? Is it better than the traditional deadlift stance?

The sumo deadlift works more legs and less back than a traditional deadlift. There are people who think it’s a form of cheating since it shortens the range of motion, but many successful power lifters use it as their competition lifting style.

In this case, using a trap bar and blocks for exercise, the ROM isn’t a concern. He’s probably using the style to take it easy on his back.

Depends on your goals. All variations work similar muscles but changing the form is going to emphasise different things.

Most traditionalists will say conventional is better than sumo due to ROM but sumo is powerlifting comp approved and as a rule allows athletes to pull more

Giorgio is doing neither. If you have a look he is in a runners stance one foot in front of the other. I’ve never done it but if I had to guess it is a tailored strength and conditioning exercise to try and make him more explosive- kicks and knees are thrown from that stance so makes sense

Muay Thai/Kickboxing is a filthy sport for peds so yes