O'Malley doesn't want to fight in NYC, not even for Frankie Edgar

Did O’Malley miss out on a major opportunity by passing on fight in NYC against Frankie Edgar?

I would pass too. Fighting is about the money at this point. It may not sit well with the Purists out there but it’s the truth.

1 Like

And it’s well documented how much you get ass raped financially fighting in the state of NY

2 Likes

O malley is in no position to pick n choose he should fight a top 10 fighter not cherry pick

3 Likes

I think he just doesn’t wanna right in that state…I think he’d fight Edgar

But didn’t read the article

The ufc will learn not to be nice & build fighters. Cause soon the fighters think that it was all them that got them there

4 Likes

Except that he is. Being popular in the ufc doesn’t have nearly as much to do with being a good fighter as it used to. More people know who he is than stipe at this point.

The ufc created this monster fast tracking people to success and title shots they thought would be most popular vs letting the cream rise organically to the top like an actual legitimate sport. Now fighters see it for what it is and are reacting accordingly.

If he doesn’t want to fight it’s his choice. UFC will keep on keeping on.

He probably shouldn’t turn too many of these opportunities down unless his goal is to be the next MVP. Entertaining never-was with a following that never seriously steps up the competition.

Principles are priceless

You think he’s ducking Frankie?

Maybe, maybe not. “But mah taxes!” could be an easy out.

O’Malley threw everything at his last opponent and couldn’t KO air. Old iron chin Frankie with solid wrestling would make quick work of this guy. Too bad they are trying to put him over against older chinny Frankie.

not sure but his next fight should be a top 10 fighter

If he wants to be famous, what a better way to get more celebrity spotlight than fighting in the legendary MSG.

He doesn’t have to go there ever again after this, but one time should give him the popularity boost to start cutting the line in the division.

3 Likes

I’m not sure this guy is the smartest chicken in the coop.

But this is smart. Waiting a month and taking home much more for the same work makes sense.

He didnt specify the amount / but if NY takes an extra 30k in taxes, then wait a month it shouldn’t be a big deal.

It is however easy to argue that the UFC is good at making things difficult for up and coming fighters when they say no to fights though.

1 Like

Fighting is a little different.

He can do as he pleases but we’ve seen many times over that you just never know what will happen with fights. Look at Chimaev.

O’Malley could wind up just great, but this could also be a huge missed opportunity. Not sure how many shots he’ll get against a huge name former champ that is in a much more beatable stage of his career. And as someone said above, to do it in exciting fashion in MSG?

Forest for the trees bro.

Need to strike when the iron is hot, maybe invest in yourself a bit with the big old taxes then don’t go back after.

1 Like

He needs to avoid frankie, that’s a high risk low reward fight.

Are none of you aware that MSG is a dump these days?

They can make him irrelevant real quick though

I think he knows Frankie would have crowd support in NY.

2 Likes

Not without looking like the bad guy. They can’t control his social media presence.