Paddy Pimblett: Not being paid enough to fight ranked opponents

“Fuck that. I’m not fighting a Top 10 on the money I’m on, lad,” Pimblett said when YouTuber James English asked whether he would take on a big name fighter next (ht MMA Mania ). “Nick Peet was saying he’d like to see me against Tony Ferguson. And, lad, I’d like to see me against Tony Ferguson, but not on the contract I’m on now. Fuck that. Get paid that money to fight Tony Ferguson, lad. Yeah, he’s still one of the best 155ers in the world, lad. I want six fucking figures, lad, then I’m fighting him.”

“Suga” Sean O’Malley has been taking a similar approach. He’s been taking on lower-ranked opponents – he declined a fight with Frankie Edgar – while he’s on his current contract, which expires soon.

Anyone have a problem with that strategy?

2 Likes

God bless them if they could pull it off but they’re flying high on the trapeze without a safety net. Proper love from a company Matchmaker could make or break a young fighter trying to come up and there’s a million young hungry Fighters underneath them

2 Likes

I remember when he was more interested in showing us what he can do, not what he won’t.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Talking like that after one bout is going to get him wrestle fucked to death.

10 Likes

Not a chance. The UFC wants this kid to succeed. They’re not about to blow his wad too early. I think the kid will be good no matter happens.

3 Likes

I used to laugh so hard at this dude and his “mom” I’d cry.

1 Like

Tail dont wag the dog…

1 Like

They will do a huge show in Liverpool with him headlining , that’s down the road a year or two, he’ll get that money, he’s a star already over there

“I want 6 figures”

Think about that. He’s getting less than $100k (not sure how much less)

I think it’s reasonable and fair if an exciting young prospect with a bunch of hype that’ll draw a ton of views wants $100k to fight a top name on a PPV

7 Likes

He reportedly received $30,000 to show, $30,000 to win and he earned a $50,000 performance bonus for knocking out his opponent.

1 Like

He said 6 figures! That’s only 3!

3 Likes

What are talking about? That’s like $180,000.

Honestly can’t blame him here, if you’re fighting atop ten you should get 6 figures.

He could fight Ferguson and get his egg scrambled, end up broke after the hospital bill and all the other expenses, and possibly not be able to fight again.

High risk, low reward.

2 Likes

Perfectly reasonable. The higher the risk, the higher the pay.

Show/win/bonus = 3 things.

I was making jokes.

1 Like

his last fight showed him a taste of what can happen in the UFC, he got nailed ,right on the jaw.

So was I. Poorly.

1 Like

lewd anastasia ashley GIF by Barstool Sports

Logo Podcast GIF by Barstool Sports

I get what’s he’s saying. But…

1-he’s only had one fight in ufc and came close to getting KTFO.

2-he don’t deserve to fight Tony yet.

3-Tony would absolutely have his way with him.

He needs to worry about a winning his fights and the money will come.

1 Like