Should modern "muay thai" styles have a different name?

So muay thai as practiced in Thailand is usually pretty different from other modern kickboxing systems that heavily incorporate muay thai techniques. Not just in the competition rule set, but also in how they fight. Stance, kicks vs punches, combinations, etc. Then we have modern striking styles that have developed that though they rely heavily on muay thai techniques, are taught and practiced differently and also fight differently. I’m thinking of stuff like Roufus MT, Bang MT, Cordeiro MT, etc. It seems to me we should refer to these modern styles under a blanket term like kickboxing (different from the 80s above the waist crap) or “modern MT” or something. It gets confusing when these modern styles start giving out belt ranks in “muay thai” which don’t actually exist in authentic muay thai. Discuss.

Different styles of Muay in my opinion. Even in Thailand, different camps have different focus for what they want their muay thai to look like and have certain effect.

There’s an american girl on YouTube called Sylvie who lives in Thailand and goes and trains with different fighters. She goes in to the different styles

1 Like

Wouldn’t Bang’s style be considered “dutch” style kickboxing? I’ve trained at a very authentic “muay thai” gym, I’ve also trained at bang muay thai. Definitely different styles, but close. It’s like two different approaches to training the same rule set.

Same as how danaher teaches very different than a Royce.
I generally says Dutch style when someone stands more like a boxer. At mma schools typically they call the striking class kickboxing unless they don’t understand that thai is a very specific snd different thing

That’s a good point

Her videos are pretty good.

Nothing but respect. 180 fights and trains with legends.