Smolka Out vs O'Malley

UFC 264 has taken a hit with the withdrawal of Sean O’Malley’s opponent Louis Smolka, but the promotion is currently looking for a replacement for next Saturday’s card in Las Vegas, sources told MMA Fighting following a report from Ariel Helwani.

O’Malley vs. Smolka was scheduled to be part of the pay-per-view portion of the show at T-Mobile Arena. The trilogy match between Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor headlines the event.

“Sugar” (13-1) is looking to keep the momentum going after a third-round knockout over Brazilian bantamweight Thomas Almeida in March, his first octagon appearance since the first setback of his career in August 2020 when he lost in the first round against Marlon Vera.

One of the biggest signings from Dana White ’s Contender Series , O’Malley has won five of six UFC appearances with three knockouts.

It’s still unclear what kind of injury has forced Smolka off the card. “Da Last Samurai” was most recently seen inside the cage in December 2020, stopping Jose Quinonez in the second stanza to improve to 3-2 since his return to the UFC.

I’d love to see him fight Kyler Phillips but it’s probably too big of a risk for Omalley

1 Like

Maybe they’ll sign Wayne Weems to take on Omalley

So it begins

Diaz @ catch weight? For Fun
Dom, Frankie,Cody, Jose, Rob?

All a step up, and a legit challenge for contention

Hope he gets a dance partner.

List some potential fighters.

I’ll throw some in the mix

Marlon M
Aldo
Cruz
Cody
raf assunsao coming of 3 losses
Edgar
Merab
Valiev
Casey kenny
Said nurmagomedov

1 Like

Can Marlon Vera give him a rematch?

1 Like

Plenty of guys ready at Xtreme Couture

2 Likes

@Fighting_Shatner
U affiliated with XC

What fighters do u have in mind

Would he be clear to fight?

1 Like

O’Mally doest deserve the rematch.
Lost fair n square.
They are both young. I’m sure they will cross paths sooner or later

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. I didn’t check the medical suspensions from that event and forgot if he was cut or not.

1 Like

I agree. Part of me just wants to see it again and I’m hoping Marlon would beat him even more decisively. Hah

1 Like

Agreed after thinking it over

Stylistically it was great and we were robbed of a barn burner.
Not quite robbed but chito did his thing.

The rematch eventually will probably be a closer affair and I look fwd to it

1 Like

tea

3 Likes

tea

Feed him to Frankie so everyone can end the hype for the fraud

1 Like