10-8 round.

What makes a 10-8 round? Near finish? Uninterrupted dominance? I'd really like fans (and judges) to get some clarification on this. Phone Post

Complete dominance with damage

near finish where the ref is thinking of stepping in should count too (Like the Wandy/Franklin rd. that easily could have been stopped)

forrestfan - Complete dominance with damage

near finish where the ref is thinking of stepping in should count too (Like the Wandy/Franklin rd. that easily could have been stopped)
It was a near finish towards the end of the round but Franklin was controlling the round all the way up till the point he was hurt by Wanderlei towards the end.

That round could have easily been a 10-8 but a 10-9 round for Wanderlei wouldn't be a robbery. Phone Post 3.0

The way it is today.

10-8 is dominance with a beat down involved. If a finish is real close.

They way it should be.

10-10 is a pickem round

10-9 is a close round with a winner.

10-8 is a fairly dominant round,  no question about who won.

10-7 complete domination, beat down. Maybe near finish.

They way it should be.

10-10 is a pickem round

10-8 is a fairly dominant round, no question about who won.

No it shouldn't. More 10-10 rounds are fine, but there is no room for 10-7s especially in 3 round fights. 10-8 does the trick, they just need to use it more.

i wish theyd use the full range of scoring

10-0 for an absolute domination and several near finishes and no  effective offense by the loser

as it is now a very clear round win and a too close to call win are both scored 10-9. thats a fualty system.

forrestfan - 
They way it should be.

10-10 is a pickem round

No it shouldn't. More 10-10 rounds are fine, but there is no room for 10-7s especially in 3 round fights. 10-8 does the trick, they just need to use it more.

i didn't mean it like that, i meant pickem rounds are 10-10 instead of, "guy i like more", or to make the fight more even.

There is room for 10-7s.

Why does a dominant round hold equal weight to a significantly less dominant round?

They need more than 2 different measures of winning a round besides, "meh you kind of won", and "wow you won by a shit ton".

What they need to do is get rid of 10 point must Phone Post 3.0

that equals a lot of draws.

forrestfan - 

that equals a lot of draws.

and?

I would rather have a draw than have a fake winner decided just for fun.

You squeak out 2 rounds, i beat you down in the 3rd.

It should at least be a draw.

rockwell - What they need to do is get rid of 10 point must Phone Post 3.0

Definitely, the whole system is just inapplicable to MMA, particularly 3 round fights. Phone Post

In boxing it's a knockdown, so in MMA it would have to be lopsided round with something near a finish.

I think the ideal situation (though not marketable to television) would be limitless rounds, fights continue until they are finished. Just a pipe dream, I know, but can you imagine if Shogun vs Hendo were another round or two? Or Maia vs Fitch, would Demian eventually gas and give Fitch the upper hand? And point fighting strategies become a thing of the past too. They should totally start making PPVs this way, but they won't. Phone Post

Usually, it's a dominant round where there's been a knockdown with some visible damage done. If there's isn't a lot of damage, Judges look for the fighter getting beat to cover up to where the Referee might/is thinking about/or could have stopped it at certain points during the round, but didn't. Then there's the round where there isn't a Knockdown but the fighter getting dominated by getting his/her chin tested/getting rocked, and is taken down and there are dominant positions gained while giving out a lot of strikes mixed in with near submissions for the whole round.

Sodomy is neceesary for a 10-7