10 mins of best 2017 judo ground techniques

The turnover where you step in and flip the opponent up and over is classic judo technique.   The pin is the #1 follow-up from this move. rarely see the armbar. It would be very difficult to pull guard unless she could of half guard the leg. 

Good to see you on here, JBB.  Judo board has been dead for a while now so I just post judo stuff over here since more views.  36 days to go til Paris Grand Slam.  All my faves already past their prime I'm afraid to say: Zantaraia, Sobirov, etc.  Meanwhile, a lot of new talent.  Abe continues to impress me.  

btw, I so often see in BJJ where people have experience with ‘regular black belts’ or even ‘national level black belts or medalists’ or even ‘competed internationally at some tournaments’.

No – there is a massive gap between top active, Olympic level players like say Khalmurzaev, Riner, etc and your ‘very good Judo black belt that competed in some international tournaments’. I know because I’ve trained with international level players in Judo at different levels and I still do occasionally.

Another case in point: rolled with a cadet world medalist last month (kid is 17). Never did BJJ and was much lighter. Couldn’t sweep him once or sub him. Crazy base, natural stability, grips and feel. I saw him finish a 3 hour hard training, then 5 min after, he went to the weights and did 140kg squats 15 times (he weighed may be 65kg that day), 3 sets. He told he had just started lifting weights for the first time a couple of months ago. Insane.

BJJ is just awesome, it really is, and I love training it. It has made my ground game better and its more nuanced and technical than Judo on the ground, but in certain positions, not all.

But regular BJJ lacks the mentality of 1000’s of reps of drilling, of fast attacks, of very hard rolls, of hard continuous pressure, of intricate and powerful grips, etc. And so they often know ‘many moves’ but very few really well.

Its too bad that many BJJ people, especially in the US where Judo is of low quality, have 0 clue of the upper levels of Judo. If you are just a regular BJJ black belt that trains a couple of hours a day and competes here and there in some IBJJF-type tournaments, you will be in total shock of how little of what you know will actually work on these guys. And btw, some really do suck on the ground, but they are just animals and hard to do anything against in a 10-min match frame.

The guy I think Roger rolled with was Kenzo Nakamura. He was much lighter than Roger, say 30kg at least, but Roger had a lot of trouble with him. Not unexpected.

Seong gyeong - yes the judo forum is dead like you say.  I only comment on judo threads on the BJJ Forum.  I still watch the IJF events not live but on Youtube.  The new blood coming up is just amazing and talented.  Some nice discussions, perspectives and interesting comments.  Judo is becoming more accepted on this Forum.  What this forum doesn't understand is the top players  have been competing at the top level since they were kids, most internationally.  This "proving ground" is what makes them so good.  I don't believe this exists in BJJ.  Correct me if I am wrong.

In a couple of weeks I'm attending an all day Travis Stevens seminar where he will be teaching both judo and BJJ. Will be interesting to hear him compare the two styles and his experience in both arts.

Red Stuff - Silly judo man. Should've leg locked him!

Thanks for the GIFs; this one was my favorite.  

Aaron Lapointe -

In a couple of weeks I'm attending an all day Travis Stevens seminar where he will be teaching both judo and BJJ. Will be interesting to hear him compare the two styles and his experience in both arts.

That's awesome.  He did one a while back here in California, but didn't get a chance to attend.

Speaking of Travis, here's a quote from an interview he did that I think helps to clarify why the ground game is the way that it is in judo:

"In judo I have such a small window to work with and a lot fewer moves to be able to pick from. I approach it with “the faster, more violent, and aggressive I can attack the position the better”. Most of this is because the refereeing in judo doesn’t have the knowledge to know if you’re close or just BS’ing it. So they stop a lot of things early when they shouldn’t and let a lot of things go for to long that they shouldn’t." 

(source: http://lexfridman.com/interview-with-travis-stevens-2x-judo-olympian/)

Also, this podcast (http://www.ugpodcast.com/2016/10/13/episode-23-olympic-judo-silver-medalist-travis-stevens/):

- "I hate going against sport jiu-jitsu guys because they tend to lock down positions."  Goes on to say that someone who will settle into DLR for 6 minutes and not change things up is boring to him.

- "I do jiu-jitsu for fun and to tap people out." 

- When doing judo, he "pulls no punches."  Was rolling with a judo black belt; 40 seconds into it, Travis had his chin in the other guy's eye socket, started knee cutting, then when his opponent held onto his ankle, Travis smashed his knee into his sternum (with chin still in eye socket), passed his guard, and said, "I'm here to win."  I believe he said this was when he was training for the Olympics. 

- Believes he was ripped off at London 2012.  

- Says his best moves were leg grabs (which have been illegal for a while now in judo).

- When asked on training with DDS:

* It's a misconception that they only know leglocks; they're only using leglocks because people don't defend them.

* Even if you take away the legs, they're still some of the top grapplers in the world.  

Travis strikes me as the kind of guy who takes no shit.  Only the third American male to have ever taken Silver at the Olympics.  Still searching for that Gold...

judom2 - btw, I so often see in BJJ where people have experience with 'regular black belts' or even 'national level black belts or medalists' or even 'competed internationally at some tournaments'.

No – there is a massive gap between top active, Olympic level players like say Khalmurzaev, Riner, etc and your ‘very good Judo black belt that competed in some international tournaments’. I know because I’ve trained with international level players in Judo at different levels and I still do occasionally.

Another case in point: rolled with a cadet world medalist last month (kid is 17). Never did BJJ and was much lighter. Couldn’t sweep him once or sub him. Crazy base, natural stability, grips and feel. I saw him finish a 3 hour hard training, then 5 min after, he went to the weights and did 140kg squats 15 times (he weighed may be 65kg that day), 3 sets. He told he had just started lifting weights for the first time a couple of months ago. Insane.

BJJ is just awesome, it really is, and I love training it. It has made my ground game better and its more nuanced and technical than Judo on the ground, but in certain positions, not all.

But regular BJJ lacks the mentality of 1000’s of reps of drilling, of fast attacks, of very hard rolls, of hard continuous pressure, of intricate and powerful grips, etc. And so they often know ‘many moves’ but very few really well.

Its too bad that many BJJ people, especially in the US where Judo is of low quality, have 0 clue of the upper levels of Judo. If you are just a regular BJJ black belt that trains a couple of hours a day and competes here and there in some IBJJF-type tournaments, you will be in total shock of how little of what you know will actually work on these guys. And btw, some really do suck on the ground, but they are just animals and hard to do anything against in a 10-min match frame.

The guy I think Roger rolled with was Kenzo Nakamura. He was much lighter than Roger, say 30kg at least, but Roger had a lot of trouble with him. Not unexpected.

I'd like to pick your brain about modern day judo.

BTW, I remember when you posted about Fedor having holes in his ground game after he lost to Ivanov in Sambo, refererncing that Ivanov was not even considered good on the ground back then?  

Since it sounds like you are in Europe, what would be your top 5 judo countries over there?

If I had to guess (in no particular order):

1) France

2) Russia (west of the Ural Mountains)

3) Georgia (though some believe Georgia lies in Asia)

4) Germany

5) Netherands or UK (toss up)

btw, Stevens got chocked out in a Judo competition by a German, at a Grand Prix a couple of years ago. Stevens at the end, is a very very hard worker, I love his tenacity and commitment, amazing really. He is far from the most talented player but he is committed and he is a grinder. A true example for young athletes.

Fedor’s ground game was never anything special in Judo. Ivanov’s ground game also sucks.

In Europe, top judo countries: Russia, France, Georgia, rest are more volatile. Belgium, Holland, Germany, etc have some great athletes.

The main advantage Judo has is that its deeply popular with kids in Europe…since ages 5-6. And they train to win Gold medals in Olympics/Worlds, nothing else.

P.S. side point, another thing people don’t u-stand is that in Japan say, every university has completely different style of Judo. The style of Tokai is completely different than say Tenri. Some are very strong on the ground (say Aoki’s school), others standing. This also dictates were European teams go to prepare for Worlds, etc.

https://youtu.be/Bm9V-_TdPb8

Travis chocked out by WIECZERZAK Alexander 2015 World championships.  Travis was just coming off concussion layoff I think 6-9 months.  Wieczerzak was 2017 World Champion 81K.  I have never seen top Japanese players who are weak standup and usually their ground game is very good especially the women.  Higher weight classes strength plays a roll and they are not the strongest comparatively.

NicolasRGC -
Red Stuff - Not impressed...

TBH if black girl pulled guard right away that choke wouldn’t have worked

That other shit you posted is pretty badass

Really? That is what you took away from that awesome gif?

Nobody in any grappling sport is pulling guard when an osoto gari is executed that well. She resisted that throw by putting her weight into her opponent and turning as she went down so she didn’t get slammed on her back. How can you pull guard when your opponent is already past both of your legs as the action hits the ground? It’s either come up to your knees/turtle or get put in side control/pin and then try and escape or retain guard.

Triple_B - 
NicolasRGC -
Red Stuff - Not impressed...

TBH if black girl pulled guard right away that choke wouldn’t have worked

That other shit you posted is pretty badass

Really? That is what you took away from that awesome gif?

Nobody in any grappling sport is pulling guard when an osoto gari is executed that well. She resisted that throw by putting her weight into her opponent and turning as she went down so she didn’t get slammed on her back. How can you pull guard when your opponent is already past both of your legs as the action hits the ground? It’s either come up to your knees/turtle or get put in side control/pin and then try and escape or retain guard.

There’s a second where she could’ve pulled guard or at least get half guard but the judo reflex of turning to her stomache got her into trouble… but yeah it sucks getting osoto gari’d like that I know lol