10 Things We Learned From UFC 124

We learned that no current welterweight will beat Georges St. Pierre. He is just too good. It will take a "new breed" of fighters to dethrone him.

We learned that Josh Koscheck is humble in defeat and not such a bad guy after all. I think people bought way too into his "bad boy" schtick.

We learned that Thiago Alves has recovered from his derailment and is probably going to be a huge force in the division again. I'd like to see him attempt to avenge his losses.

We learned that Jim Miller is undeniably a top 5 UFC lightweight at the moment. The way he beat Oliveira was impressive and silenced many critics.

We learned that Stefan Struve is a top contender and will likely surprise some of the upper echelon heavyweights when they fight.

We learned that the hip bump sweep can be an effective tool after all.

We learned that Mac Danzig will get at least one more run in the UFC after the surprising KO over Joe Stevenson.

We learned that pressing the action in a fight doesn't always matter to the judges. They scored the fight 30-27 for Sean Pierson against Matt Riddle.

We learned that Mark Bocek believes he can beat a top 5 lightweight like George Sotiropoulos. I, for one, am looking forward to that fight. I think Sotiropoulos destroys him inside of a minute.

Ask around Fresno homie...Koscheck being a dick is not for show.  He turns it up when the cameras are on, but he's not a nice guy.

"I think Sotiropoulos destroys him inside of a minute."

I'd favor Sotiropoulos but this shit is just delusional.

I don't think the Bocek Sots fight should happen. Sots is 1, 2 max, fights from a title shot. I don't think Bocek is there.

struve might be top 10 in the ufc but he's not a top contender

mkou - "I think Sotiropoulos destroys him inside of a minute."

Perhaps.

Struve is certainly going to be good.

Don't agree with the Bocek/Sotiropoulus prediction at all. Great fight though.

New Breed?

By "new breed" I mean guys that aren't in the UFC yet but have the capacity to beat St. Pierre. I wonder who St. Pierre's Mauricio "Shogun" Rua will be.

jkennedy - 
Kostakio - We learned that pressing the action in a fight doesn't always matter to the judges. They scored the fight 30-27 for Sean Pierson against Matt Riddle.

huh? Shadow boxing doesn't score points nor does it make you the aggressor.
I know. But we've seen judges in the past disagree with us.

haha I agree but I think he said it in the heat of the moment 'cause he was excited and didn't want Koscheck to be stripped of his chance to come back and win.

mkou - "I think Sotiropoulos destroys him inside of a minute."

Kostakio -

We learned that pressing the action in a fight doesn't always matter to the judges. They scored the fight 30-27 for Sean Pierson against Matt Riddle.

Watch the fight again please. that first round was 10-8 without a doubt.

A couple of observations that I made in the GSP fight were:

-Kos needs to let his corner do their job.

-Kos didn't think he could win the fight before it started and lowered himself to Ken Shamrock status in that he was talking smack in order to hype the fight.

-I think GSP should have switched to southpaw in the 4th round in order to exploit Kos' loss of vision.

I could see giving Riddle the second round making it 29-28, but IMHO, 30-27 was a fair scoring.

Roo Badley - 
-I think GSP should have switched to southpaw in the 4th round in order to exploit Kos' loss of vision.

He did for a second but switched right back. I don't know how comfortable GSP is south paw, but if he's good with it I think it would have helped him finish no doubt.

i agreed with the 30-27 for the Riddle fight. Riddle threw a million punches but barely landed any of them.

We learned that Mark Bocek believes he can beat a top 5 lightweight like George Sotiropoulos. I, for one, am looking forward to that fight. I think Sotiropoulos destroys him inside of a minute.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

2 minutes?

Jim Miller's knee bar was a thing of beauty.