11 champions: 3 Brazilians and 5 Wrestlers

Notes: Less than half the champs are wrestlers.

Robbie Lawler: wrestling in high school does not qualify you as a wrestling centric fighter.

For those of you dismissive of Werdum's legitimacy , Cain has fought 2 opponents in 3 1/4 years for a grand total of 5 times.

2 more Brazilians (BJJ BBs) are positioned to unseat 2 more champions with wrestling bases. However, of course they have no chance, much like the Recommended Daily Allowance.

What is happening here? Phone Post 3.0

SupesUp - What is happening here? Phone Post 3.0
I dunno Phone Post 3.0

Are you insinuating that wrestling is overrated or that Brazilians will emerge as better fighters?

What's your gimmick here? Phone Post 3.0

What is the purpose of this thread?

Lol Phone Post 3.0

In for clarity. OP please be more specific I feel that this could be interesting if I could comprehend what you are saying. Phone Post 3.0

I think OP is talking about how some people made a big deal that nearly every champion (besides Aldo) was an American and/or a wrestler for a little while. At least, that what I assume is happening here. Phone Post 3.0

I am simply debunking the platitude "Wrestling is the dominant martial art". Especially when you consider the percentage of wrestlers entering MMA, percentage of Americans in the UFC, standups, and 5 minute rounds. Every week wrestlers get beat up; Fitch, Munoz, Hendo, McMann, Bubba Jenkins, Boetch, to name a few recent victims.

Men
265 - Cain, Werdum
205 - JJ
185 - Chris Weidman
170 - Robbie Lawler
155 - RDA
145 - Jose Aldo
135 - TJ Dillashaw
125 - MM
Women
135- RR
115 - JJ Phone Post 3.0

Matthew4Freedom - I am simply debunking the platitude "Wrestling is the dominant martial art". Especially when you consider the percentage of wrestlers entering MMA, percentage of Americans in the UFC, standups, and 5 minute rounds. Every week wrestlers get beat up; Fitch, Munoz, Hendo, McMann, Bubba Jenkins, Boetch, to name a few recent victims.
Stop it. Wrestling is the most important aspect of MMA and its the best base to have. That can't be argued. Phone Post 3.0

No question the toughest division is 185. When Jacare gets done with the Olympian, Yoel, he is coming for the Chris. That is if he is still the champ.

my biggest problem with this thread is lumping in an interm champ with the real champs.

RKing85 - my biggest problem with this thread is lumping in an interm champ with the real champs.

You prefer one that doesn't fight?

RKing85 - my biggest problem with this thread is lumping in an interm champ with the real champs.
Yeah, I catch shit when I call Werdum the champ. Although, it's really really hard to call Cain a champ too. He's fought three guys in 5 years. Also, he fights less than once a year. Also, where the hell is he? Also, heavyweight is sad. Phone Post 3.0

interm titles are the stupidest invention in the history of the world.

Matthew4Freedom - I am simply debunking the platitude "Wrestling is the dominant martial art". Especially when you consider the percentage of wrestlers entering MMA, percentage of Americans in the UFC, standups, and 5 minute rounds. Every week wrestlers get beat up; Fitch, Munoz, Hendo, McMann, Bubba Jenkins, Boetch, to name a few recent victims.
It's not the dominant martial art, it's the best base. There's a difference. Phone Post 3.0

It's a good sign. It shows that MMA wrestling is not impossible to learn w/o a college wrestling base. RDA has great take downs/takedown defense and Aldo has great TD defense. Everyone is well rounded now Phone Post 3.0

RKing85 - interm titles are the stupidest invention in the history of the world.

Stripping the champion makes more sense.

LOL at wrestling not being the dominant martial art at this point.

HW: wrestler
LHW: wrestler
MW: wrestler
WW: Wrestler
135: wrestler
125: wrestler

Out of the men's division 75% are wrestlers first. This is no coincidence. Anthony Pettis also just lost last week and he wrestled in college as well.

Sub Phone Post 3.0