12 to 6 elbows???

Stop.. joe Lost.. LOL

They were NOT 12-6. However, they were nonetheless illegal, because they were to the back of the head, hence the cut on the back of Joe's head.

"they were 12 to 6."

There is NO 12 to 6 rule.

There is NO "arc" rule.

The only "kind" of elbow that is illegal is CEILING TO FLOOR. The end. Any other elbow that hits a legal target is LEGAL.

LOL @ crying about back of the head. If those were hitting the back of the head it's because Joe made them do so.

maybe not technically illegal but straight elbows to the top of the head by the point of the elbow should be. Seems dangerous

Yeah, I guess Anderson was trying to get a pussy cut stoppage when he threw the EXACT SAME ELBOWS to Lutter. Somehow a spiking elbow is "trying to get a cut".

Either allow elbows or don't...stupid rule.

I pretty much agree with Disco. There was another thread on here a few weeks ago where someone was arguing with me that this rule was well understood by everyone. This thread proves that it is still the most controversial, misunderstood, misinterpreted, most unenforceable, arbitrary, ludicrous and ambiguous rule in the history of the sport.

I think most are talking about the ones he threw while mounted. Laying on your back throwing the elbows are lege (except when they are hitting the back of the head).

Elbows cut too easily. Kenny acted like a some little terrier going after them elbows to Joe's head.
Bring the knees in, standing or not. Less cuts, and more respect for position on the ground.

"There is NO 12 to 6 rule."

As per BJM there is.

"There is NO "arc" rule."

Umhh - wrong again. If there is arc on the elbow it's not 12 - 6.

"The only "kind" of elbow that is illegal is CEILING TO FLOOR. The end. Any other elbow that hits a legal target is LEGAL."

Make up your mind... ceiling to floor and 12-6 are the exact same thing. If there is arc then by definition it is not 12-6 or ceiling to floor.

" Yeah, I guess Anderson was trying to get a pussy cut stoppage when he threw the EXACT SAME ELBOWS to Lutter. Somehow a spiking elbow is "trying to get a cut"."

He was clearly trying to push them to get a cut.

Whether standing or lying on your back , those were 12- 6 . These elbows are ugly .They need to be stopped !

I love elbows. If you don't like them watch golf TUF fan.

For the love of everything holy! How many times to we have to relive this rule? STOP INTERJECTING YOUR OPINIONS AND JUST READ THE DAMN RULE!

I love elbows as well. I was unclear on the rule. Been a fan a long time and still, the elbow rule has always confused me because, you say ceiling to floor yet, you still see refs stop action for elbows like Kenny were doing.

So, I don't think I'm the only one that is in this boat.

mean machine - Whether standing or lying on your back , those were 12- 6 .

You guys need to picture a wall clock, not your Swatch watch.

"I know, they didnt call it for illegal 12 to 6 elbows. I am saying they WERE illegal and they didnt call it"

As it's been said, 12 to 6 are literally ceiling to floor...look at a clock. The only part about the elbows that made them illegal was the fact that some hit the back of the head...and he looked to be aiming for the top of the head (like in the warmachine vs. j-roc fight) but Lauzon ducked his head and ate a few.

and they were called...the referee said not to hit the back of the head and gave Kenny a formal warning. Everything that was supposed to be done was done.

The ruling is, and this is straight from the fighters meeting at the UFC, 12-6 pointed elbows are illegal. The clock never changes. The cieling is always 12 and the mat is always 6, period!

So when a fighter is in guard throwing 12-6 elbows they're legal because the plain they're on is the ground?

I don't really see the point in making standing 12-6 elbows illegal.

I agree that the shape of the elbow was not illegal and the intended target was not illegal...the ref did note that some of the blows were becoming illegal and gave an official warning.  to the point they were stood up.  I don't see why the Dr. didin't check the cut AND Joe was not given time to recover.  Now maybe Herb said take your time and joe said, no I am ready to go.  But I think after the stand up, which was cause by the ref stating the illegal elbows, why was there not time given?