12 years a slave

Wow. What a fantastic movie.
What's the rest of the OG think?

I haven't had that type of reaction to a movie since Dear Zachary.

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age Phone Post 3.0

6.5/10 imo, but thats just me Phone Post 3.0

It was ok. Not worth the Oscar hype, but a decent watch. Phone Post 3.0

You should watch the movie about the slave from Thrace that leads a massive uprising only to ended with his death and thousands of his comrades crucified. Phone Post 3.0

It was a good movie with great acting. 

I felt it a bit long but overall it was a great dipiction of a terrible injustice. 

Sick of white guilt movies Phone Post 3.0

Dayling - Sick of white guilt movies Phone Post 3.0
I guess I didn't see it the same way as you did.
It seemed to me that it showed the characters as flawed people who did what was needed to survive at a time were slavery was widely accepted. Great acting and a compelling true story.
Not sure which part made you personally feel guilty Phone Post 3.0

I doubt he watched it. 

Some people are just sick of slave movies. White and black people. 

I dont see how a person watching this would have to feel white guilt. It was a modern thinking white man that finally helped free the main character. 

With Benedict Cumberbatchs character I was about as sympathetic as you could possibly be for a slave owner. 

Its a movie. not necessarily propaganda for whatever socio-political fuck fest people wanna argue about.  

I stopped watching around 30-45 minutes in. It was just a bummer and it's frustrating to watch.

Saw the first beating and it wasn't for me.

Just saying.

Intense movie
The acting was top notch IMO
Chiwetel was amazing. Phone Post 3.0

MarkRobinson - 

I doubt he watched it. 

I dont see how a person watching this would have to feel white guilt. It was a modern thinking white man that finally helped free the main character. 

With Benedict Cumberbatchs character I was about as sympathetic as you could possibly be for a slave owner. 

Its a movie. not necessarily propaganda for whatever socio-political fuck fest people wanna argue about.  

it's more than just a movie, though, it's a true story. Based on the book written by the main character, Solomon Northup

by reading your posts (which I've enjoyed and agreed with), I am sure you know this, I just wanted to clear that up for OGers who didn't

12 years of sleeping imo Phone Post 3.0

hmeboy -
MarkRobinson - 

I doubt he watched it. 

it's more than just a movie, though, it's a true story. Based on the book written by the main character, Solomon Northup

by reading your posts (which I've enjoyed and agreed with), I am sure you know this, I just wanted to clear that up for OGers who didn't
Yes that's an absolutely important point.

I just wanted to emphasize that first and foremost it is a movie and this whole white guilt or reverse racism conversation is second to the fact that it's art which can be interpreted in a variety of ways.

I don't get the white guilt talk any more than I get the black outrage.

sure it's comfortable for some people. It's not supposed to entertain like Transformers.

People get so worked up about this shit. I got voted down for my opinion in this thread. this place is ridiculous. Lol Phone Post 3.0

Uncomfortable* Phone Post 3.0

Abrtitans - You should watch the movie about the slave from Thrace that leads a massive uprising only to ended with his death and thousands of his comrades crucified. Phone Post 3.0
I AM SPARTACUS!!!!! Phone Post 3.0

Haven't seen yet but been interested in it......watch Joseph Gordon Levitt's directional debut Don Jon...kid is gonna be a great one Phone Post 3.0

Don Jon was pretty damn good too.

Tony Danza was awesome. Phone Post 3.0

tikmovado - I do not watch dumb stuff like that.

It trys to make a generation that had ZERO to do with it feel guilty for being white.

Fact is here in America very few white people owned slaves.

I in no way feel guilty for anything done in history and will not try.

If you can't even watch a movie about actual events in history then it seems like you are the one who feels guilty. 

i thought it was shit. EVERY motherfucker in that movie was overacting... long. drawn out. mind numbing. shit