13yr Old Wins Varsity State Championship In Wrestl

He didn’t even get A POINT scored against him. 

Damn. 

The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD -
On a SideNote -

Impressive especially coming out of New York.

I remember this from last year.

New York wrestling is okay.. I mean it ain’t Iowa, Pennsylvania or Oklahoma 

This. 

0hi0direct -
WATHUNT -

Im not from the US so don't know much about age bracket stuff over there. What's the normal age for people competing at that level?

15-18

Damn. That's very impressive

1 Like

So this kid is out wrestling studs 5 years older than him before puberty?

Presumably some of the older kids are also very good nationally ranked wrestlers?

I’m from the UK so don’t understand the way your school sports work. 

What’s varsity mean?

Taylor27 - 

What’s varsity mean?

Varsity is the best team at the high school level.

Under varsity is Jr. Varsity.

And in some school under Jr Varsity in a Freshmen team.

Varsity is usually the older kids in school like juniors and seniors so they are older and bigger usually.

A 7th grader went through the bracket made up of presumably mostly juniors and seniors and didn’t have a single point scored against him is actually unbelievable.

You have to figure that somewhere during the tournament he had to face a returning District or Regional champion…and not a single point.

That is beyond amazing.

mglaw - A 7th grader went through the bracket made up of presumably mostly juniors and seniors and didn't have a single point scored against him is actually unbelievable.

You have to figure that somewhere during the tournament he had to face a returning District or Regional champion…and not a single point.

That is beyond amazing.

A bracket of juniors and seniors?

He is wrestling at 99 lbs. You won’t find many seniors in the brackets.

Still lots of freshman and sophmores though.

Props to the kid, a 7th grader could and did do this at 99 lbs but a 13 year old 7th grader could have never done this at 172, 189 lbs, HW etc…

2 Likes
BJ Penn Forever - 
mglaw - A 7th grader went through the bracket made up of presumably mostly juniors and seniors and didn't have a single point scored against him is actually unbelievable.

That is beyond amazing.

Props to the kid, a 7th grader could and did do this at 99 lbs but a 13 year old 7th grader could have never done this at 172, 189 lbs, HW etc…

Good point, I didn't think about that.  Been out of school for a minute.

I agree with your last point too. shit

fuck you, shit

2 Likes
mglaw -
BJ Penn Forever - 

That is beyond amazing.

Good point, I didn't think about that.  Been out of school for a minute.

I agree with your last point too. shit

fuck you, shit

haha.

BJ Penn Forever -

That is beyond amazing.

I went to high school with a guy that wrestled in that weight I don’t think he ever lost a match. Got a full ride to college and blew his knee out freshman year. That ended his career. 

Looks like the video is from a year ago, any updates since then? He must be way stronger now since he's hit puberty.

On a SideNote -
The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD - 
On a SideNote -

New York has high level wrestling along with New Jersey.  Yes Iowa, PA, OK and California are elite also.

NJ is noticeably better than NY, though, no? as far as youth and high school wrestling

In Limbo - 
On a SideNote -
On a SideNote -

New York has high level wrestling along with New Jersey.  Yes Iowa, PA, OK and California are elite also.

NJ is noticeably better than NY, though, no? as far as youth and high school wrestling

Winning a big school state title in NY is very impressive.

It’s not as impressive as NJ, PA, Ohio, or CA. But, it’s very legit.

This thread provides some helpful measures for the most difficult state tournaments:

Iowa is top per capita, but CA, Ohio, NJ, and PA are consistently much tougher on an absolute level. CA and NJ earn special praise for having a single state champion per weight

1 Like
On a SideNote -
Taylor27 - 

What’s varsity mean?

Varsity is the best team at the high school level.

Under varsity is Jr. Varsity.

And in some school under Jr Varsity in a Freshmen team.

Varsity is usually the older kids in school like juniors and seniors so they are older and bigger usually.

Thanks 

wiggum -
In Limbo - 
On a SideNote -
On a SideNote -

Winning a big school state title in NY is very impressive.

It’s not as impressive as NJ, PA, Ohio, or CA. But, it’s very legit.

definitely

just wanted to make sure my home state of NJ is “Better” than NY in something LOL

wiggum - This thread provides some helpful measures for the most difficult state tournaments:

Iowa is top per capita, but CA, Ohio, NJ, and PA are consistently much tougher on an absolute level. CA and NJ earn special praise for having a single state champion per weight

makes it all the more impressive that my boy and fellow BC alum, Nick Suriano, went all 4 years undeafeted Champ in NJ

How did they let a 7th grader wrestle hs kids?  Dont think ive ever heard of that happening in any school sport in the US.

Got to agree with BJ Penn forever, this couldnt happen at a higher weight >

EFM - 

How did they let a 7th grader wrestle hs kids?  Dont think ive ever heard of that happening in any school sport in the US.

Got to agree with BJ Penn forever, this couldnt happen at a higher weight >

I'm assuming it is a Charter school that ranges from 6th to 12th grade.  Charter schools allow middle schoolers to compete at the varsity and junior varsity levels if they are good enough.