13yr Old Wins Varsity State Championship In Wrestl

On a SideNote - 
EFM - 

How did they let a 7th grader wrestle hs kids?  Dont think ive ever heard of that happening in any school sport in the US.

Got to agree with BJ Penn forever, this couldnt happen at a higher weight >

I'm assuming it is a Charter school that ranges from 6th to 12th grade.  Charter schools allow middle schoolers to compete at the varsity and junior varsity levels if they are good enough.

They’ve been allowing middle schoolers of a certain skill level to compete on high school teams in many states for a long, long time.

In Limbo - 
wiggum -
In Limbo - 
On a SideNote -
The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD - 
On a SideNote -

Impressive especially coming out of New York.

I remember this from last year.

New York wrestling is okay.. I mean it ain’t Iowa, Pennsylvania or Oklahoma 

New York has high level wrestling along with New Jersey.  Yes Iowa, PA, OK and California are elite also.

NJ is noticeably better than NY, though, no? as far as youth and high school wrestling

Winning a big school state title in NY is very impressive.

It’s not as impressive as NJ, PA, Ohio, or CA. But, it’s very legit.

definitely

just wanted to make sure my home state of NJ is “Better” than NY in something LOL

100%.

I’m a Jersey boy, too.

BC is a legendary program. Suriano is a stud.

wiggum -
On a SideNote - 
EFM - 

How did they let a 7th grader wrestle hs kids?  Dont think ive ever heard of that happening in any school sport in the US.

I'm assuming it is a Charter school that ranges from 6th to 12th grade.  Charter schools allow middle schoolers to compete at the varsity and junior varsity levels if they are good enough.

They’ve been allowing middle schoolers of a certain skill level to compete on high school teams in many states for a long, long time.

Didn’t know that.  Thanks dudes.

wiggum - 
On a SideNote - 
EFM - 

Yep.  This also.  It's rare but does happen.

wiggum -
In Limbo - 
wiggum -
In Limbo - 
On a SideNote -
The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD - 
On a SideNote -

Impressive especially coming out of New York.

I remember this from last year.

New York wrestling is okay.. I mean it ain’t Iowa, Pennsylvania or Oklahoma 

New York has high level wrestling along with New Jersey.  Yes Iowa, PA, OK and California are elite also.

NJ is noticeably better than NY, though, no? as far as youth and high school wrestling

Winning a big school state title in NY is very impressive.

It’s not as impressive as NJ, PA, Ohio, or CA. But, it’s very legit.

definitely

just wanted to make sure my home state of NJ is “Better” than NY in something LOL

100%.

I’m a Jersey boy, too.

BC is a legendary program. Suriano is a stud.

my kid’s Club coach’s son was also a BC wrestler 2 years under Suriano…i believe he is at Cornell now

placed 4th as a fresh, 3rd as soph, 2nd as Junior, and finally finished his HS career with the title his senior year

we were all so hyped up for him bc he is such a genuinely nice kid and was always helping the little guys out at training

also #2 for most wins in BC history, under his teammate Suriano

https://youtu.be/Qg42kAMzttg

Nice thread of 6-time state champs: Six Time State Champs - High School Wrestling - TheMat.com Forums

EFM -

I beg to differ . I gurantee Alex facundo would've won a state title in highschool when he was in 7th grade . But I believe he was around 140 ish then 

That 13-yr old kid could always head over to the UK now and teach. 

Logan Storley who fights in Bellator at WW is a 6x state champ and 4x All American.

13 in 7th?? 

1 Like
ranier wolfcastle -

think hes goin to the olympics or early burn out?

He may get bored. It’s amazing what he did.

Damn, my son is 8.5 years old and 120lbs. He's literally 2 heads taller than anyone in his gr3 with the exception of one girl who is bigger.

My daughter is 11, and is a bone rack, and still wieghs 97lbs.

99lbs seems small for 13yrs old.

derekhart3 -

13 in 7th?? 

My daughter is 11 and in grade 6, she will be 12 in April.

He must have been born in the earlier months.

13 in gr7 is correct.

a_user_has_no_name_74 -

Damn, my son is 8.5 years old and 120lbs. He's literally 2 heads taller than anyone in his gr3 with the exception of one girl who is bigger.

My daughter is 11, and is a bone rack, and still wieghs 97lbs.

99lbs seems small for 13yrs old.

It is. 

Like someone else said and I should have mentioned earlier...props to the kid , not getting a point scored on you is impressive....

But to play devils advocate, 99lb isn't a "shark tank".  Sure there's usually a couple studs in the state but I've seen many schools have to forfeit at that weight because they just don't have anyone wrestling in that weight>

Still insanely impressive. But it makes sense it would be in that weight is all. Kudos to him thats great. 

Taylor27 -

What’s varsity mean?

I don't know, but I do know that Tony Soprano never had the makings of it.

1 Like
EFM -

I wrestled in New York State, graduated in 88, we had a 7th grader join our High School Team, he just had to pass a physical and have the coaches/parents permission. The kid was a beast, but not on this level.

His friend 13-year-old 8th grader Zack Ryder (any relation to the professional wrestler???) won the state championship at 126 pounds. 

They are doing something right in that area.

https://youtu.be/AgIGOdpZbw4

1 Like
bamnet - 

His friend 13-year-old 8th grader Zack Ryder (any relation to the professional wrestler???) won the state championship at 126 pounds. 

That's awesome to hear.  

Incredible.  

bamnet -

it's called testosterone injections.  13 year olds are built like that naturally.