15% raise to work grave yard shift would you do it

The way I look at it I work the hours I normally would be sleeping 930 pm to 6am and sleep the hours I would normally be working 7am until 4pm. It's really no different for me, but I have no kids. Phone Post 3.0

My dad worked nights my whole life. He tried really hard to be there, but he wasn't. It put a rift between everyone in the house that is still there. Be careful if you have a family. Phone Post 3.0

Yes I would do it. But 10% extra is my minimum. Since it's a promotion for you, I think you should go for it...

MMAhaiku - My dad worked nights my whole life. He tried really hard to be there, but he wasn't. It put a rift between everyone in the house that is still there. Be careful if you have a family. Phone Post 3.0

This happened to me as well. A few years back i thought if i worked the 11-7 i would have all day to do things with my kid....well it was NOT that easy.....sleept the days away

I've done it and it was a terrible decision. That was 20 years ago and still have sleep issues because of working graveyards for 2+ years.

Kid Crucial -
MMAhaiku - My dad worked nights my whole life. He tried really hard to be there, but he wasn't. It put a rift between everyone in the house that is still there. Be careful if you have a family. Phone Post 3.0

This happened to me as well. A few years back i thought if i worked the 11-7 i would have all day to do things with my kid....well it was NOT that easy.....sleept the days away

I'm the exact opposite I sleep 4-5 hours max so I'm up doing stuff with the family hours before I would ever get home from when I worked normal hours Phone Post 3.0

I would say don't do it, but that's just my opinion. I worked swing shift for the last ten years until about six months ago, now I work Monday to Thursday days, I make less money but much happier and wouldn't go back to it unless absolutely necessary. I could never get a decent sleep after nights, lucky to get 4-5 hrs sleep and tired all the time. That's just me though. Phone Post 3.0

Worked Night Crew for 4 years during my college years and I would only ever do it again if my kids were starving. SCrewed with my sleep a lot, and I hated not having my schedule sync'd with the rest of the world.

To this day, sounds that wake me out of my sleep infuriate me.

. Phone Post

15% of what? Phone Post 3.0

I have kids but I figure it won't be too bad being I will be sleeping when they are at school.

Before I moved stateside I had to work 12 hour 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM overnight graveyard shifts and I wasn't even getting paid well, so I would definitely take it up for the raise unless you have a family to take care of obviously. Phone Post 3.0

No your life during the week becomes sleep and work. It's nice not waking up to the alarm clock but you just end up sleeping the day away. Phone Post 3.0

I do it now. First, ten years ago it took 8 years to get use to it again. Phone Post 3.0

I spent 6 months working 6pm-5am 4 days a week. Worst experience of my life as far as work goes. I have a son that I get every weekend which I admit plays the biggest role in the decision but it was still terrible. Phone Post 3.0

shaqitup - Depends on how your sleeping habits are IMO, or if you're willing to change them.

If you have trouble sleeping reasonable hours on a regular schedule it will probably be way tougher on nights, and transitioning back on the weekends.

IF you don't have trouble sleeping it will probably be easier.
This X a kajillion. I just CAN'T get the same quality sleep during the day that I can at night. Phone Post 3.0

Hell ya do it. I did it for 10% for five years. Its the best shift to work. Depending on your job usually it requires the least amount of over head. Its the least busy time to work and you dont have to deal with crowds and traffic.

I am not a morning person and always hated waking up to an alarm.

If you are morning person and have kids it may not be right for you.

Graveyard sucks dick man Phone Post 3.0

If it's standard 5/2, no way.

The places that do it right have you work 10 hour shifts, 4 on, 4 off. Better yet, people who work the midnights have a reduced number of contractual show up hours than those who don't.

Regular 5/2 for 15%, no way.

I did it for a little while. I have 2 kids and I hardly saw them during the week. If I was lucky I got to watch them leave for school and I was asleep when they got home. Phone Post 3.0