$1600 uber ride for drunk kid

Have you ever wondered what it would be like — and how much money it would cost — to travel more than 300 miles across four states via Uber?

Well, a young man from New Jersey can tell you.

Kenneth Bachman, from Sewell, N.J., was visiting friends late last week near West Virginia University and had been drinking at a fraternity party. Many would argue that he did the responsible thing and ordered an Uber to take him home. The only problem? Home was a five-hour ride away.

No fear! His driver was up to the task — for the right price: a whopping $1,635.93.

“We went to a frat party and then went to the bar. I was getting drinks all night. I probably spent, like, $200 at the bar after already drinking all day,” Bachman told CBS Philly of his experience on Friday. “Basically, I kind of just blacked out. The last thing I remember was being at the bar, and then I just woke up in the Uber next to an older dude telling me I was an hour out from Jersey.”

600 miles round trip for the driver.  I hope he got paid.

I No Kung Foo -

Driver is a retard too. 

He either risked not getting paid by some angry drunk guy after driving 300 miles or he took advantage of the guy who was black out drunk and cost him $1600

Either way he's an idiot.

The cool thing to do would be to say "Bro you're wasted and that drive will cost you over $1600 bucks, give me your phone and I'll ring your buddies"

Technical Primates -
I No Kung Foo -

Driver is a retard too. 

He either risked not getting paid by some angry drunk guy after driving 300 miles or he took advantage of the guy who was black out drunk and cost him $1600

The cool thing to do would be to say "Bro you're wasted and that drive will cost you over $1600 bucks, give me your phone and I'll ring your buddies"

Driver will get paid. I would drive 10 hours easily knowing I am getting paid at least a grand. And arent most uber called by drunks anyway?

Doublevision -
Technical Primates -
I No Kung Foo -

Driver is a retard too. 

Driver will get paid. I would drive 10 hours easily knowing I am getting paid at least a grand. And arent most uber called by drunks anyway?

What kind of cut do you think that driver got out of $1600?

I No Kung Foo -
Doublevision -
Technical Primates -
I No Kung Foo -

Driver is a retard too. 

Somebody here who drive for uber is bound to know. I would think at least a grand out of 1600

Doublevision -
I No Kung Foo -
Doublevision -
Technical Primates -
I No Kung Foo -

Driver is a retard too. 

Somebody here who drive for uber is bound to know. I would think at least a grand out of 1600
Not bad for a shift

Doublevision -
Technical Primates -
I No Kung Foo -

Driver is a retard too. 

Yes but most drunks don't ask you to drive 300 miles away.

If the driver had any class he would have just phoned the guy's friends, instead he decided to take €1600 off some wasted college kid which is probably his whole life savings

Technical Primates -
Doublevision -
Technical Primates -
I No Kung Foo -

Driver is a retard too. 

If the driver had any class he would have just phoned the guy's friends, instead he decided to take €1600 off some wasted college kid which is probably his whole life savings

C.R.E.A.M

I use to take cabs to and from the grocery store to get food before i had a car. Everytime i would ask, whats the most expensive fare you had. Most would say 200 to 400 bucks. Driving people back airport etc. This one old guy, been driving for decades. He says that he was once cruising the airport for a fare. This guy comes up to him, in a suit and all sweaty and nervous. Then proceededs to tell the taxi driver, that he is a contract lawyer and he has to go down to Melbourne in Victoria from Brisbane Queensland. Which is around 1400km, that's around 900 miles one way. The cab driver is shocked. Asks him why he dosnt get a flight. Says he is extremely nervous of flying and the contract needs to be signed asap. The cabbie calls up head office and asks. They ok it and give him an estimate. The estimate is just under 20 grand. Lawyers office okays it too. They got blow on the way down and hunted down the lawyers ex wife in Melbourne also. Good story, hope its true. 

mihow -

The driver keeps 70-80% of the fare

That's much higher than I thought it would be.  I thought they got 10-20%

Technical Primates -
Doublevision -
Technical Primates -
I No Kung Foo -

Driver is a retard too. 

1. Do you know how Uber works? The payment is handled before the drive. What do you mean the driver “risked not getting paid by some angry drunk” after the ride?

2. Do you really think that was that kids life savings? He just spent $200 carelessly at a bar, and he had a spare $1600 to take an instertate Uber lol. The kid has rich parents, not too tough to figure out.

Let's be honest here, out of all the possibilities of drunken mistakes, his was in the bottom 1/5 and not newsworthy. 

William H Macy -

Let's be honest here, out of all the possibilities of drunken mistakes, his was in the bottom 1/5 and not newsworthy. 

It's better than a Mexican prison.

I No Kung Foo -
William H Macy -

It's better than a Mexican prison.

Exactly. Black out drunk, got in a car with a stranger and made it home in one piece. Unless he got aids while being raped in the booty hole this isn't a story. 

grilledsky -
sassen -

I use to take cabs to and from the grocery store to get food before i had a car. Everytime i would ask, whats the most expensive fare you had. Most would say 200 to 400 bucks. Driving people back airport etc. This one old guy, been driving for decades. He says that he was once cruising the airport for a fare. This guy comes up to him, in a suit and all sweaty and nervous. Then proceededs to tell the taxi driver, that he is a contract lawyer and he has to go down to Melbourne in Victoria from Brisbane Queensland. Which is around 1400km, that's around 900 miles one way. The cab driver is shocked. Asks him why he dosnt get a flight. Says he is extremely nervous of flying and the contract needs to be signed asap. The cabbie calls up head office and asks. They ok it and give him an estimate. The estimate is just under 20 grand. Lawyers office okays it too. They got blow on the way down and hunted down the lawyers ex wife in Melbourne also. Good story, hope its true. 

That's bs. Even today a cab ride of 900 miles at most would be 3k. Also this Uber ride sounds like bs. Again even in a standard cab the fare would be around 700-800 for the 300 mile trip. Maybe there was some toll roads that factored in. 

Sounds like a b movie version of Collateral 

Curious what the case law will say about this once we get some, given that the contracts are signed while (presumably) sober.

Side note: I've done city-to-city before, but always negotiating a side deal with the driver. Lyft's pricing doesn't seem to take the round trip into account & I can't fuck over people like that.

I have no sympathy for drunk college kids.