170lb Champ Matt Hughes vs Prime Nick Diaz?

It would probably look something like GSP vs Diaz did.

6 Likes

Matt Hughes dominates that fight.

Way too powerful a wrestler and he had solid gnp and subs.

5 Likes

The level of competition Nick faced was far below Matt. And BJ as a mutual opponent doesn’t mean much due to Matt being at the end of his career in that one.

3 Likes

There’s no way in Hell Matt Hughes is submitting Nick Diaz. Ain’t no way. He’s not a scrub like Ricardo almeida

1 Like

Almeida wouldn’t have been subbed if he wasn’t rocked.

5 Likes

Perhaps. And Hughes would never rock Nick on the feet lol

1 Like

I agree. He’d just blast double legs and dumptruck Nick for 3-5 rounds. Might get a gnp tko stoppage even. He’s done it against better grapplers than Nick.

8 Likes

If anyone takes enough damage they can be submitted…. Depends on how the fight went. If Matt had his number laying heavy g&p it’s definitely possible.

1 Like

I would agree with that. But in all of Nick’s losses to wrestlers he’s never been BADLY damaged or finished. I think he’d do a good job of controlling Matt and not taking vicious shots

I would give this one to Matt with a decision win. To say Matt couldn’t hang with Nick’s Bjj is absurd. He almost snapped Royce’s arm off. He tapped out Almeida. Renzo wasn’t able to do anything to him. Serra wasn’t able to do anything to him. He wouldn’t ko Nick but nick wasn’t great at stopping the takedown and he wouldn’t be able to sub Matt unless he hurt Matt first which would be unlikely. I think they neutralize each other on the ground but Matt would over power him and it would be a boring decision win for Matt

5 Likes

If Carlos Newton choked him out then prime Diaz could as well

2 Likes

Hughes would have rode Diaz like a fat chick.

3 Likes

Matt’s sub game was elite. He was jacked too. I can imagine him steam rolling Nick. I say this with Nick being my favorite fighter.

8 Likes

Prime vs. Prime

• Hughes
  • Diaz

0 voters

Hughes via forcing takedowns and working top game.

A more interesting one is this:

• Hughes
  • Maia

0 voters

1 Like

Can’t stand Matt but in his prime I think his wrestling dominates and beats Nick.

That said - I am gonna leave this here for memories sake.

Thiago-alves-defeates-matt-hughes

2 Likes

encino man wheeze the juice GIF

1 Like
1 Like

Haha truth but dont tell me hughes wasnt wheezing all the shit too

2 Likes

Huh. That’s weird. I have absolutely ZERO memory of Thiago Alves ever knocking out Matt Hughes. Apparently ufc 85 in June of ‘08

That’s so odd lol completely missed that one somehow and have never stumbled across it

4 Likes

I suggest you watch. Classic

1 Like