1980s NYC Ironworkers documentary

Amazing little documentary about the brave Newfoundlander ironworkers...down the YouTube rabbit hole. Enjoy 

Worked in raising gangs on a few derrick jobs in the Bay Area.  They suck.  You feel like you're working on an old sailing ship.  Jump day sucked.  Tower cranes and conventional rigs much nicer.

It's amazing the numbers of people falls is so low 

1 Like

Was in the union. I do steel all the time. Built a hospital here. Fucking hard work. I’d rather stick to the small shit. Use aerial lifts lol.

JThomasufc91 -

Was in the union. I do steel all the time. Built a hospital here. Fucking hard work. I’d rather stick to the small shit. Use aerial lifts lol.

Damn, any crazy injuries? The old guy in the film said “these youngsters have it good” and that was in the 80s! lol 

IP -

Worked in raising gangs on a few derrick jobs in the Bay Area.  They suck.  You feel like you're working on an old sailing ship.  Jump day sucked.  Tower cranes and conventional rigs much nicer.

How was the pay? 

HernanCortes -
IP -

How was the pay? 

Very good.  I took a pay cut when I left the trade and became a cop.

Pros - wages/benefits, job satisfaction, comraderie

Cons - commuting (Bay Area), finding work rests on your reputation (a good thing, but the work picture mirrors the economy), 5 day a week grind, body takes a beating

HernanCortes -
JThomasufc91 -

Damn, any crazy injuries? The old guy in the film said “these youngsters have it good” and that was in the 80s! lol 

On the hospital a crane broke ground and dropped 4 I beams into the basement. I was on ground level that day. Luckily no injuries. The journeyman pay for Tulsa Ironworkers was 22.70 at the time. Not exactly killing it. We left and went back non union millwright. After I left the union an 18 year old connector fell 4 stories and broke his back, legs, arms all kinds of shit. Lived. Ironwork has changed dramatically since the 80s. Everything is 100% tie off now. 

Got to watch those I beams drop. It was crazy.

JThomasufc91 -
HernanCortes -
JThomasufc91 -

On the hospital a crane broke ground and dropped 4 I beams into the basement. I was on ground level that day. Luckily no injuries. The journeyman pay for Tulsa Ironworkers was 22.70 at the time. Not exactly killing it. We left and went back non union millwright. After I left the union an 18 year old connector fell 4 stories and broke his back, legs, arms all kinds of shit. Lived. Ironwork has changed dramatically since the 80s. Everything is 100% tie off now. 

I worked from 81-88.  We never tied off.  

IP -
JThomasufc91 -
HernanCortes -
JThomasufc91 -

I worked from 81-88.  We never tied off.  

OSHA is a Motherfucker these days. Anyone found without being tied off it’s three days off. Even the connectors have rat lines on the beams being flown up. Fucking hard job for sure. I’ve been in pipe, steel and millwright. I have my own company now. We do just about all of it. No big buildings though.

JThomasufc91 -
HernanCortes -
JThomasufc91 -

Crazy, and these guys seemed to be making killing for crazy work! Props to y’all, I was amazed by the coordination and lack of fear considering the height.