1st triathalon...swim question

I will be doing my first triathalon in a few months. (500 meter swim, 15 mile bike, 5 mile run.)

I have run a few marathons, and have done some long distance bike races and not concerned in the least about those. My problem lies in the swim.

I know how to swim, and an avid surfer, but I cannot freestyle swim. Whenever I am swimming distance, I usually use a breast stroke. My question is, will I look like a douche out there breast stroking? I would like to learn how to free style stroke, but not sure I can learn that on my own. Any advice?

Yes. You will look like a douche. However, I'm guessing not many people will be watching.

Just finished this weekend.

I decided to breast stroke it and look like a douche. The swim is very chaotic with 100 people in the water for the first wave.

I finished a 1:39. I was just hoping to beat the 2:00 mark, so happy overall. The run was only 5K, not 5 miles as I originally thought. I did the bike ride on my mountain bike with dirt tires, so really lost a lot of time on the bike leg.

Although I enjoyed it, definitly not my thing. Too many wanna be Lance Armstrongs out there.

Stuff like this (short course Tri) is not for 'teh win' it's for the fun. Work on improving a bit more, get a road bike, learn to do the trungeon-crawl.

gato, liked your post. dead on with the last paragraph, maybe I do need to give it another whirl.

Thanks to all the input and suggestions. I really want to get into swimming more as an excercise, so I am leaning towards a TI course. thanks again.

How much faster is the crawl vs. breast stroke?

I did go to the back of the pack, but that is where the other hacks were. luckily I got a little bit ahead of some of the other newbies. Man, some of those people barely made it out of the lake alive.

gatovolador - That's why it's important to go out on shitty equipment and kick the crap out of those douchebags. See your faggy aero wheels and carbon frame and helmet? Well here's my fucking mountain bike dickweed.

LOL

gatovolador -

That's why it's important to go out on shitty equipment and kick the crap out of those douchebags. See your faggy aero wheels and carbon frame and helmet? Well here's my fucking mountain bike dickweed.
Though this has some merit, the idea behind triathons is to learn technique and skill and have fun, not to taunt some fatty master who has a carbon bike.

It's just not an intelligent move to ride knobby tired bike if you're doing an on-road triathlon. Ride your MTB, but get slick tires (those actually have a larger contact patch with the road over treaded tires and give excellent traction). You can get them in MTB sizes. If you get better, go buy an aluminum Trek bike with drop bars for $600 bucks during their fall sale and you'll be good to go. Learn how to draft and ride in a pack, etc.

gatovolador -

Knobby tires makes it much more manly, though slick tires are a good idea, and it's like $15 per tire to switch. If you ride a lot getting a road bike is nice; between $1000-2000 is where you can find phenomenal deals, both for this year and sales on previous years.

Learning how to ride in a pack and doing all the road bike stuff is nice if you ride regularly with other people or do road races, but for triathlons as a competition it is completely unnecessary unless you plan to olympic distance races as a pro( pro rules for that distance allow drafting and mini-aerobars).
True, some short course tris don't allow drafting but I'm not sure all are like this. Some 'fun-run' events might be less formal

There are skills to learn on the bike including learning to use clipless pedals, and improving your aero position. It's hard to be aero using straight bars, (versus drop bars).

I don't think you really need to spend 1-2k to get a good road bike. Entry level Trek road bikes (Al frame) are somewhere around $600-700 last time I checked.

WidespreadPanic - gatovolador -That's why it's important to go out on shitty equipment and kick the crap out of those douchebags. See your faggy aero wheels and carbon frame and helmet? Well here's my fucking mountain bike dickweed.Though this has some merit, the idea behind triathons is to learn technique and skill and have fun, not to taunt some fatty master who has a carbon bike.It's just not an intelligent move to ride knobby tired bike if you're doing an on-road triathlon. Ride your MTB, but get slick tires (those actually have a larger contact patch with the road over treaded tires and give excellent traction). You can get them in MTB sizes. If you get better, go buy an aluminum Trek bike with drop bars for $600 bucks during their fall sale and you'll be good to go. Learn how to draft and ride in a pack, etc.  

What if you have fun taunting some fatty Master on a carbon bike?

I guess gatovolador got banned?????

Pito Chueco - I guess gatovolador got banned?????

I think I got banned for calling some female fighter a butterface