20 Year Aikido Black Belt found how Aikido works in real life

Thought that this thread was going to be about DTW.

1 Like

I find Aikido cringeworthy

They just think weā€™re stupid jocks

On the plus side, as mentioned, ukemi is great skill. Also, Aikido can be fun. Itā€™s like playtime. The aesthetics of it are cool too, if youā€™re into traditional Japanese culture.

But, it also tends to attract oddly passive-aggressive people who want to ā€œbelieveā€ in something.

Unlike in BJJ where things are ā€œprovenā€ to work through sparing, things in Aikido are ā€œprovenā€ to work through lengthy discussion. There is endless talk of ā€œwhat I would doā€ if my opponent did this or that. It never, ever, gets to the physical stage where you test things.

And if you ever get proven wrong about something, there is always the classic Aikido cop out --ā€œWell, weā€™re not here to learn to fight! Weā€™re her to lean how NOT to fight!ā€ Then everyone feels smug and happy about themselves.

If you make it to Black Belt in Aikido, you probably need to be de-programmed before doing any practical martial arts. Itā€™s a journey into a strange martial pseudo-reality. Japanese Jujitsu is almost as bad, but not quite.

2 Likes

Do you remember the Kung Fu San Soo in MDR where Rey used to hold classes? The theories those kids used to have on stopping basic BJJ?

Whatā€™s crazy to think is that San Soo and lots of goofy modern martial arts pride themself on how real world practical they are, how theyā€™re not a TMA.

Weird thing about Aikido is that itā€™s so recent, but they try so hard to be an old mystical TMA/ā€¦

The teacher, Ron Scalon, was a good dude. Very likeable & open minded. He would often watch class and pay close attention to what was happening.

As a newish Blue Belt, I rolled with a cocky San Soo Black Belt who visited there once. He LITERALLY tried to snap my neck with a quick ā€œneck breakā€. Did not work. I arm barred him twice in a row with the same move. He was dick and learned nothing from the experience.

Everyone wants to believe in ā€œmagicā€.

ā€“Itā€™s so appealing, the idea that a smaller person whoā€™s been bullied, could learn this occult knowledge and easily dispatch a much larger attacker, without much effort.

Itā€™s a fantasy --and thatā€™s the most important aspect of TMAs; getting people to BELIEVE in something that gives them hope that the seemingly impossible is possible. ā€œPeople think Iā€™m just a nerd, but they donā€™t know I take Hapkido 2x a week and they would be in for a SERIOUS surprise if they pushed me too far!ā€

Wristocks are for the most part garage. Only within the context of Jiu Jitsu principles of controlling the joint above it in a secure, stable position does it make sense. Kind of. The only wrist lock I like is when they frame my outside shoulder with an open palm when I have a cross body pin/side control.

If you think you will be wrist locking anyone when youā€™re standing, I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

How much?

LOL, I get a standing wristlock more often that one on the ground.

You donā€™t know what you donā€™t know.

I go for them all the time when starting from the feet or knees when rolling. Makes my opponent react even if it isnā€™t finished. Makes them think twice about what they are trying to do.

Yeah, itā€™s the exact same thing going down in places of worship.

Greatā€¦ letā€™s see some proof of you rolling live and catching people with standing wrist locks.

Obviously you have mastered a skill set none of us have.

Educate us.

2 Likes

You have to apply them so fast and powerfully for them to work in real time thereā€™s almost no way to effectively do them without injuring someone. Every time I see them in tournament footage the guy tapping is fā€™d up and in pretty significant pain. Itā€™s not like an armbar where a lot of times you have a chance to tap before any significant pressure hits your elbow.

Iā€™m not talking rolling. Iā€™m talking self defense or comp pace. Different beasts.

JJJ is not that bad. But I would rather study that than Aikido.

1 Like

#1 Boolshit

Most of them are doing weeb-calibre judo as well, so there is some semi-legit sport training as well.

Most JJJ has NO Randori,. Everything including the ā€œJudo throwsā€ , is done Kata style.

American/European style Sport Ju jutsu does exist --and its pretty cool-- and some dojos do Randori but I would would say the vast majority of ā€œJJJā€ dojos in America and Japan do not do any form of sparring.

Iā€™ve been to plenty of Ohana Conventions, AJJF conventions & AJA seminars & conventions both as a kid and adult and almost none of those school do randori, despite most all teaching ā€œjudoā€ throws.

In the words of the head of the ā€œAJJFā€-Americaā€™s largest & second oldest jujitsu org- ā€œIf you want to do randori, go to a Judo dojoā€.

You do know the original BJJ school (Humaita) didnā€™t have randori either? Even Royce said his father never believed in sparring or competitions. He said you just have to drill the techniques.

One does not need to do randori all the time to learn JJ. Constantly drilling the techniques and the occasional randori sessions are fine.

Frequent randori sessions are good for training for competitions.

I trained with a guy who went to Abu Dhabi and he had a notebook where he kept track of how many times he drilled a particular technique on that day and they numbered in the thousands. No surprise he went to Abu Dhabi, that guy was obsessed.

1 Like

Uhā€¦ sorry, no.

Jiu jitsu absolutely requires continuous randori/sparring to be functional. Period. No way you get any good at grappling --of any kind-- doing kata with ā€˜occasional randoriā€™. The skills are way too complex and require way too much time gathering feedback against a variety of opponents with different body type & attributes. There is no way around that.

NOBODY in the Gracie family follows that approach.

The Gracies were just trying to make $$$ off people who didnā€™t want to roll. Reylson Gracie still does the same thing today with students; teaches with almost no rolling and develops terrible --basically fake-- BJJ black belts. But thatā€™s all about making money. Heā€™s not producing legit BJJ practitioners.

1 Like

You sound like an uncoordinated boob. You need to spar all the time to get good at something? Too complex? LOL.

Iā€™ve studied striking and grappling before. Although Iā€™m not an expert, I got fairly good at the MAā€™s. I didnā€™t even spar that much. Most of my training consisted of bag/pad work, self-defense simulation, and the occasional sparring session. I was still able to use it in street fights and against other martial artists whenever we sparred.

As for the Gracies, I didnā€™t know Reylson or other Gracies ā€œliedā€ about not doing too much randori. Oh well. Who cares anyway?

In the end, I developed my own personal MA called Fuhen Yoshiki Ryu or just Fuhen-ryu for short. It is a blend of different Japanese and other martial arts.