200 lb Judoka soaring in Sumo

They used to show the Sumo world cup (sorry if that is not the correct name, but that is what I remember) on ESPN every year. I loved it. I still have several hours of video tape footage from the show. It was great, short matches with a fast pace. These guys are truly giants. Sometimes you'd see a 270 lb guy beat a 500 lb guy and it was so fun to see.

Love Sumo

I've promised myself that at some point in my life I will travel to Japan to watch a Basho

Thanks Jumbo for posting all these vids, great stuff.

I used to get the NHK feed and watch the coverage with my dad. We both couldn't wait until the news came on to see the highlights

FJP111 - Sumu and Judu FTW!

If I ruled the world (or the UG for that matter) you'd get an automatic blue name for that reference.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURP

Pretty sure that's Fedora in a wig. Phone Post

He is the hoyce Gracie of sumo! Phone Post

Killin em with those Russians!! Bad ass. Phone Post

Also, Machida had talked about training Sumo in the past. Said it helped a lot with balance in the clinch and using momentum against your opponent. It looks a lot like huge dudes doing Greco to me. Phone Post

grafzep - Love Sumo

I've promised myself that at some point in my life I will travel to Japan to watch a Basho

Thanks Jumbo for posting all these vids, great stuff.

I used to get the NHK feed and watch the coverage with my dad. We both couldn't wait until the news came on to see the highlights

YW. Chionofuji and Tochinoumi were two of the great Sumos and they weighed less than 300 pounds.

FJP111 - Sumu and Judu FTW!

You can go fuck yourself.

Sincerely,
Brian Kilmeade

Can't see the vid... can anyone post the link please?

That was sick! Love the intensity of sumo

I was in Japan this past summer and One of his matches was on tv. Not sure if it was live or a re-run but the match took forever to start. They have this weird ritual of squatting down and setting up in front of each other multiple times before getting to the point. There was a crowd of Japanese that formed to watch the match on tv as well. Phone Post

I think the trend has been lighter Sumo wrestlers of late. I heard that they were testing Sumo wrestlers for body fat now and advising some to diet for health risks. If I am not mistaken the current champ is only around 300 lbs.

Impressive video, I really enjoyed it. Voted up bro.

the pimp - 

I was in Japan this past summer and One of his matches was on tv. Not sure if it was live or a re-run but the match took forever to start. They have this weird ritual of squatting down and setting up in front of each other multiple times before getting to the point. There was a crowd of Japanese that formed to watch the match on tv as well. Phone Post

As I understand it, if their eyes don't meet simultaneously, it is a do over for the rise from squat thing.

Ttt Phone Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't open handed palm strikes allowed in Sumo? If so, is it possible, at least in theory, to win via KO?