2004 Swamp Classic

tournament time approaches . . .

hilton hotel reservation deadline 3/16 ...

early (cheaper) shiai registration deadline 3/20 . . .

BTTT

jimmyok,

Where are you from?

I'm from Lake Chuck, a Louisiana town with no judo. My back is wrecked anyway, so I just spectate.

You know with a College like McNeese(sp?) some one should think about starting up a club. Hey if your around after the tourny the UL club always goes out and raises a little hell, I think this year we are going to Daquries downtown.

A judo club might have a hard time getting started here; there is already a Braz. J-J school in town, and a couple of Trad. J-J teachers. All competing for/drawing from the same pool of potential students.

Have a good time at the post-shiai festivities. I am an old dad now, but thanks for letting me know about y'all's hell-raising plans.

Tournament time approaches and I find all I am doing is thinking about which techniques I'll use and how I will counter theirs. I guess I am a little on edge because I haven't competed since 2000.

Well, it's over and done with now. I got 2nd place in mens novice +100kg.

Congrats!

Judogeek, how long have you been training?

Judogeek - u ever get to the East Coast? My senseis here in Philly are both from New Orleans and I am sure they'd like to work with a homeboy. And we could always use another hwt to train with.

"Judogeek - u ever get to the East Coast? My senseis here in Philly are both from New Orleans and I am sure they'd like to work with a homeboy. And we could always use another hwt to train with. "

Who are they? The guys I know from Louisiana that moved to Philly were from Baton Rouge, not NOLA.

Tell them Ben Reinhardt said hello, I'm pretty sure it's the same guys.

Ben R.

I'v been practicing Judo off and on since 1998. For the last year I have been at it on a regular basis.

I have never been to Philly but the opertunity to train with diffrent hwt guys sounds good.

Ben - the dudes in question are Ray and Ron Huxen, judo's answer to Schwarzenegger and DeVito in "Twins." Ray is a big, burly heavyweight, Ron is a tall, wispy 140-pounder. Both are the absolute bomb as judoka, senseis and people. Wonderful guys. My impression was that they were from NOLA originally but that they had both spent time in Baton Rouge.

J-geek, congratulations on placing. What technique(s) worked best for you at Swamp?

Sumi-gaeshi worked for me really well followed by O soto makikomi.

I heard there were a lot of injuries in Sr. Division this year; any particluar reason?

"Ben - the dudes in question are Ray and Ron Huxen, judo's answer to Schwarzenegger and DeVito in "Twins." Ray is a big, burly heavyweight, Ron is a tall, wispy 140-pounder. Both are the absolute bomb as judoka, senseis and people. Wonderful guys. My impression was that they were from NOLA originally but that they had both spent time in Baton Rouge. "

I don't recognize either of them. If they are from New Orleans, I never worked with them. Either that or senility is kicking in big time for me.

Where did they train in New Orleans?

Ben R.

I didn't hear anything about more injuries than any other year but I did notice 3 diffrent injuries that required medical attention in a hospital just on the mat I was on. I belive all the were from the Sr. novice division. As to why they happened your guess is as good as mine. Probably because they were novice and were playing like your average novice.