2007 Joslin's Canadian Open

Chris intermediate 200

Old guys rule!!!

We have a student that is 17,
Can he choose to complete as an adult or does he have to go youth?
If its youth does he Compete on Saturday?

Int under 155 old guy here!

ttt

ttt

ttt

do you have to weigh in with your gi on ?

For GI weighs-ins you MUST have your full GI on including the belt you are going to wear. As soon as you step of the scale you will be fighing within minutes.

No-Gi weigh-ins means you weigh in with your fight clothing on.

Literally weighing-in just before your match, step off the scales and onto the mats.

In the even that you do not make weight, and are not allowed to compete, do you forfeit your money?

I have been going to Joslins for years, but if I lost my money for not making weight, I cannot say I would be too pleased.

If you lost money for not making weight, it would be no one's fault but your own's.

Know your weight before you get there.

I believe there will be scales for people to check there weights before registering/signing up. Though I could be wrong, very wrong about there being a scale to check your weight.

Getting your money back for not making weight makes it confusing for the organizer. In the larger tournies where weighing-in before your actual match occurs, they don't give a person's money back for failure to make proper weight.

So the moral of the story is KNOW YOUR WEIGHT WITH THE GI ON.

Why are the registration prices online 45 CND or 40 US when our dollar is stronger?

I think the tournament flyers came out 3 or 4 months ago that being the reason why the reg prices are 45 can/40 us. Also if i remember from last yr all the same weight divisions start at the same time, starting with beginners. So if u dont make weight in that division its not like u can jump from division to division. Too confusing and time consuming. They have weight allowances for both Gi and No Gi for a reason. If u happen to be over a pound or a pound and a half you're OK. If you're over more than that like Wiley said you only have yourself to blame.

Prices for online registration haven't been adjusted that's all, no big deal.

I disagree that you should not have the option of getting your money back. Seems like that is a cash grab. As much as I like the Joslins tournament, I don't like this new rule, but thats my opinion.

Get your money back? That would be an administrative nightmare. Your either in or out. Know your weight. What's so diffcult about reading a scale?

I agree it would be an administration nightmare. However, If you are the type of person who goes in there in the morning 2 - 3 pounds lighter then finds himself heavier in the afternoon when he finally gets on the mat at 7:00 p.m. then I guess you are screwed. I think the old way was better and I think this new weight system is just going to lead to alot of unhappy people losing money. When have you ever seen one of these tournaments run on time?

ttt

TTT for a 40+ division!

so what are the exact weight allowances...i know it was said earlier on the thread that its something like 7 lbs with the gi...but ive heard around that there is a 3 lbs allowance for nogi...is that true?

check out the webpage www.joslinskarate.com

if you cant get your info there then simply call the club, their number is listed on the webpage.