2009 is the Year of the Featherweight

ttt

NEW UPDATES

Din Thomas is NOT in the DREAM tournament, but a ATT fighter is.  I'm guessing Micah Miller or one of the other prospects like Soares or Rebello 

Bao Quach has stepped up to replace Mark Hominick (pneumonia) vs. LC Davis in Affliction Jan 24.  Hopefully all 3 will be healthy and get in one of these 3 tournaments.

Antonio Duarte and Albert Rios are two 145 prospects who are also on the Affliction card, either one could be considered.  Duarte is a particularly good fit for Bellator with their "Deportes" distribution.

Has anyone heard any additional rumors?

Updates:

Chase Beebe added to DREAM FWGP (confirmed) 

Shitty that Kids still hurt

Yup.  Though entering a tournament with Imanari while you have a knee injury is pretty much a terrible idea.

Chase Beebe is a solid American entrant.  And he's perfect for the odd weight, he'll actually have a smaller weight cut than usual.

Mad Xyientist -  Yup.  Though entering a tournament with Imanari while you have a knee injury is pretty much a terrible idea.

Chase Beebe is a solid American entrant.  And he's perfect for the odd weight, he'll actually have a smaller weight cut than usual.

This definately opens the tournament up now, Kid wouldve been a huge favorite.

Now its anybodys to win

ttt....more names leaking out

Sandro, Pequeno, and Takaya rumored for Sengoku. 

I treat Sandro as very likely, Pequeno as somewhat likely, and Takaya as still doubtful with his WEC contract.

Pretty sure WEC dropped him after going 0-2.

Updates:  Kid Yamamoto appears to be IN once again per this link:

www.japan-mma.com/2009/01/38-dream-7-kid-fighting.html

Also it appears that there will be 4 FW fights at DREAM 7 in March and 4 in April at DREAM 8

Between DREAM, Sengoku, Bellator, and WEC, the FW division is going to be showcased like never before.

The WEC has an incredible featherweight class, but I think these tournaments will show just how spread out the talent is.  Everyone knows Urijah Faber and Mike Brown are, but not everyone knows who Marlon Sandro or Hatsu Hioki are.  They're going to learn real soon.

It sucks that Zuffa is mostly non-receptive to the idea of cooperating with other promotions now. There is no reason they shouldn't send one of their top featherweights to represent them in this tournament, it isn't like WEC is lighting up the ratings at the moment.

smoogy -  It sucks that Zuffa is mostly non-receptive to the idea of cooperating with other promotions now. There is no reason they shouldn't send one of their top featherweights to represent them in this tournament, it isn't like WEC is lighting up the ratings at the moment.

Ya sending over somone like Curran who isnt a star in the US but could win the whole thing would be a win-win for Zuffa

Also this tourney is closer to BW then FW.

According to this link

http://nightmareofbattle.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/dream-2009-schedule-gp-absence-of-kid-denied/

The tourney will be between 62 and 64 kg. (136.4 and 140.8 lb)

Its going to be at 63 (138.6)

I think that takes out a coupe of the bigger cutting featherweights.  But we might get some great bantams in the field (like Eduardo Dantas, who I added to my mock-up)

I have no idea whether some of these guys can make 138.6 or not so I put many of the bigger featherweights in Sengoku or Bellator.

Wec should have a 16 man tourney and Bellator should have 16 instead of 8.

Then the 4 winners can meet in the Featherweight Final Four.

It could become a 16 man tourney

Mad Xyientist -  Its going to be at 63 (138.6)

I think that takes out a coupe of the bigger cutting featherweights.  But we might get some great bantams in the field (like Eduardo Dantas, who I added to my mock-up)

I have no idea whether some of these guys can make 138.6 or not so I put many of the bigger featherweights in Sengoku or Bellator.

Itll be interesting to see what sort of talent dpeth there is at BW and FW.

We will find out a lot about both of these weight classes i nthe next 6 months

Does ANYONE know whatever happened to Alex Owen?  British featherweight, grappling prospect, lost to Pythagoras and disappeared completely.

Update to Sengoku Featherweight GP:

Nam Phan now rumored.

The Featherweight GP participants will be announced next week (woo hoo!)

An ATT fighter and and a Team Trojan fighter WILL be in the GP

Sengoku is planning a 4 man, 1 night tournament to crown a HW champ, including Josh Barnett and Antonio Silva

note:  Ronnie Mann (16-1-1) is by far the most likely Team Trojan FW.  As far as ATT, I would guess Din Thomas, Pequeno Nogueira, or Micah Miller

I don't care if I'm talking to myself, you people WILL pay attention to this.