2010 Ontario Provincial BJJ Championship

Dear OJA Coaches and Competitors,

First, we would like to apologize that it took longer than we expected to officially announce the 2010 OJA Provincial Championship. We encountered some unexpected challenges securing the final venue, but we are happy to announce that the Provincials will be held on Saturday, December 4th, 2010 at the Aurora Sports Dome (www.auroradome.com) in Aurora, Ontario. The venue is accesible by Highway 404, approximately 20 minutes north of Toronto. We will be holding divisions for children (Gi only), juniors and adults (Gi and No-Gi).

On the "Provincial 2010" page (www.ontariobjjchampionship.com/provincial2010), you will find a list of competitors that have qualified for the semi-final round of the Provincial Championship. These competitors gained the most points accumulated from all OJA sanctioned events in 2010. If you are one of the qualified competitors listed, you are automatically seeded in the semi-final bracket; you will only need to win two matches to become the 2010 Provinicial Champion. In addition, there is no registration fee required for competitors that qualified in their specified divisions.

If you did not qualify for the semi-final round, you still have an opportunity to become 2010 Provincial Champion by competing in the open tournament for your specific skill and weight division (Gi or No-Gi). You will need to win your division (unless there are less than three pre-qualified competitors) in order to be added to the semi-final round of the Provincial Championship.

We are looking forward to the OJA Provinicial Championship, the climax of what has been a spectacular year for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, both as a growing sport and in the success of our local events. We sincerely thank all competitors and academies for your support and hope to see you next month for our final event of the year! Good luck and train hard!!!

Please note that pre-registration is now OPEN and will close by Monday, November 29th, 2010 or when FULL CAPACITY has been reached. If your name does not appear on the qualified list but you still want to compete for the 2010 Provincial Title, REGISTER TODAY to ensure your participation in this historic event!

Gi and no gi blue belt master (+30) in addition to this year's event

What are the costs for entry?

It should be one of the first things stated.

I looked around, but I guess you need to register before the final bill.

Sorry, I just wanted to post here as quck as possible the information, I just received this morning, it seems the website its being updated today.

For kids 5 to 15 years old gi only divisions: $35.00

For Adults , Masters and Juniors :
1 Division : $50.00
2 Divisions : $70.00

For the absolute division is it 1st, 2nd and 3rd that qualify?

All medalists are qualified for absolute division. No extra charge to compete in the absolute if you are medalist.

wow I am getting 2 free matches guaranteed!

TTT.

Tournament is open to everyone. All ages, all belt levels.

TraneUFC - nothing like giving 2.5 weeks notice for a tournament. Excellent!

It was scheduled for this weekend for quite some time, the venue just wasn't established until recently.

FYI... the divisions page fro mthe registration form is giving a 404 error.

Also, how will the weigh-ins work for those doing Gi & No-Gi.. 2 weigh-ins? This is the first tournament I've been to using IBJJF style weighins with both gi & nogi on the same day.

hewsdaddy - 
TraneUFC - nothing like giving 2.5 weeks notice for a tournament. Excellent!

It was scheduled for this weekend for quite some time, the venue just wasn't established until recently.

FYI... the divisions page fro mthe registration form is giving a 404 error.

Also, how will the weigh-ins work for those doing Gi & No-Gi.. 2 weigh-ins? This is the first tournament I've been to using IBJJF style weighins with both gi & nogi on the same day.

I am pretty sure there will be 2 separate weigh ins because gi weigh ins are done with the gi ON and no gi are done without a gi. Also if you check the weight classes they are different for gi and no gi (eg. featherweight gi is 154 and no gi is 149).

IBJJF doesnot run both in the same day, we understand that the weights are a bit different from GI to NOGI, is not only the GI weight. for this reason, if you are register in both division (Gi and Nogi) and you make weight for the GI , you will not be required to make weight for the Nogi.
For those competeting in only GI the weigh in will be before his divisions with the gi on. for those competing in only nogi, the weigh in will be before his nogi division with his fight clothes on.

that is really hard to deal with as I know my weight fluctuates 3-4 pounds over the course of the day. I mean you drink too much gatorade and you could be over again. you should only have to make weight once then you are good. The weight difference is meant to account gi weight. I think that they should just do both at once if possible.

thanks hewsdaddy .

the date was schedule for a long time already and most of the academies did know that. We never released the date openly in forum and letters because we had an issue securing the venue.

Another question that we are receiving alot is about the Absolute divisions.

1) You do not need to pay to compete in the absolute, if you finish 1st , 2nd or 3rd, you can enter in the absolute division.
2)There wll be absolute for all adults and masters blue belts and up. that means we do not have an absolute for white belts. Juniors blue belts are excluded as well.

that is really hard to deal with as I know my weight fluctuates 3-4 pounds over the course of the day. I mean you drink too much gatorade and you could be over again. you should only have to make weight once then you are good. The weight difference is meant to account gi weight. I think that they should just do both at once if possible.

I think that is what Fernando said..... if you are doing both Gi & No-gi, you only have to weigh in for Gi.

I notice a few people that qualified for the white belt quarterfinals have since been promoted to blue. Does that mean that they compete with the rest of the blue belts in the main tournament in order to qualify for the semi-finals? Do they still get their tournament fees waived?

bjjfighter19 - that is really hard to deal with as I know my weight fluctuates 3-4 pounds over the course of the day. I mean you drink too much gatorade and you could be over again. you should only have to make weight once then you are good. The weight difference is meant to account gi weight. I think that they should just do both at once if possible.

I think that is what Fernando said..... if you are doing both Gi & No-gi, you only have to weigh in for Gi.

I typed it before his answer was posted. go internets.

ttt for fernando

HI Seiji

yes, if they qualified and moved to blue, or blue to purple, they cannot compete on that division anymore but they do not need to pay to participate, an e-mail was sent to all coaches with participants qualified, and its up to the coach/instructor to send us back a list with who is coming, who is not coming and who moved to blue or purple.

lachlan ,

TTT for everyone involved in the provincials, there are a lot of people working hard to make this happen for the second year in a row , we really hope that people like , would be awesome if the other provinces could do the same so in a near future we could run a National tournament.

That is awesome Fernando, I'll let one of our new blues know he got a free tourney coming up.