2012 lincoln mkz

Hey guys, been looking at this vehicle to buy, just to kick around in, so I won't put so many miles on my truck. It has the duratec 3.5 motor. It's at a lincoln dealer, looks brand new, every option, priced great. Started researching this car.
All the top sites and magazines say it's a great vehicle. Low cost, low maintenance. With more research, I found out it has a internal water pump. WTF?
So, the engine has to be pulled to change it, about 1500-2000.
Now, Ford has MILLIONS of these engines on the road. The new 3.5 excited also is setup this way.
Now, I'm nervous as fuck about buying it.
Anyone else hear of this seemingly disastrous idea?
If the water pump fails, and you don't catch it, quickly, engine is shot.
I'm a sucker, and probably am still getting car, just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with this before.

3.5 ecotec motor

How many miles on it and what is the recommended change interval for the water pump?

Th car has less than 60. The water pump is not even mentioned in manual. Just the usual flush and fill of the cooling system. I mean, I guess if there was a big problem with these, it would be all over the internet. I went on a bunch of mkz and fusion forums, and there's hardly any mention of this. The couple of threads I found were lengthy, but majority of the people thought it was no big deal. Just sounds like a fucked up design to me.

Less than 60000

I should say, there have been a lot of problems with this design, but with the ford edge, and ford flex.

eubie5 - 3.5 ecotec motor
Ecoboost. Ecotec is GM

MayorPickle -
Ecoboost. Ecotec is GM
Your right

eubie5 -
MayorPickle -
Ecoboost. Ecotec is GM
Your right
*you're. Your is possessive.

I'm just fucking with ya haha

I know a guy who had one, had nothing but problems with it

My wife has a 2012 mkz and so far we haven't had any trouble out of it. I had no idea about the water pump.

I would call a couple different dealers and ask the service manager how long the water pump lasts.  If you talk to at least two different dealers you should get a vibe if they are consistent with their answers.

I just looked on Repair Pal, it estimates it to be around a $2K job.  Another forum says if it fails it can be a catastophic failure for the engine.  I would probably stay away.

My mom has a 2013 MKZ and my wife has a 2013 Ford Flex.  Both have the 3.5 ecoboost which I am a huge fan of.  I have not had to do anything with the waterpumps, but BOTH vehicles had issues with the Power Transfer Unit.  Both started puking oil and leaving drips on the garage floor.  Dealership wanted $1600 to replace.  I found that changing the oil fixes the issue, but there is no drain plug in the PTU.  I added drain plugs to both units and change with every oil change.

I think they are great vehicles.

BJTT-SGT606 -

My mom has a 2013 MKZ and my wife has a 2013 Ford Flex.  Both have the 3.5 ecoboost which I am a huge fan of.  I have not had to do anything with the waterpumps, but BOTH vehicles had issues with the Power Transfer Unit.  Both started puking oil and leaving drips on the garage floor.  Dealership wanted $1600 to replace.  I found that changing the oil fixes the issue, but there is no drain plug in the PTU.  I added drain plugs to both units and change with every oil change.

The dealership just put a new ptu unit on the vehicle, under factory warranty . Don't know why ford wouldn't make this a maintenance issue. No lubricant is "lifetime".

MayorPickle -
eubie5 -
MayorPickle -
Ecoboost. Ecotec is GM
Your right
*you're. Your is possessive.

I'm just fucking with ya haha
You got me. I'm usually better than that.

I apologize.

BJTT-SGT606 -

Did you add the plugs, or have a shop do it? Was it easy, and easy to drain/ refill?