2012 World MMA Scouting Report - Bantamweights

DamnSevern do you live in NY? And do you ever attend ROC or CFFC shows? Because those are IMO two of the top three promotions on the east coast and everyone who lives in NY says it's too far to go for them.

ttt

smoogy - DamnSevern do you live in NY? And do you ever attend ROC or CFFC shows? Because those are IMO two of the top three promotions on the east coast and everyone who lives in NY says it's too far to go for them.

used to live in nyc, recently moved to jersey city which is right outside nyc.

I've only been to 1 roc show..Im gonna try to check out more next year.

The talent that comes from roc alone is insane.

ttt

1. Fabiano Fernandes
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/21/2650490/fabiano-soldado-fernandes-mma-5-world-mma-bantamweight-scouting-report

Img_8593_large_medium
    Photo by Jungle Fight
    Name: 22px-flag_of_brazil Fabiano Fernandes
    Nickname: Soldado
    Height: 5'9"

Fighting out of the Niteroi region of Rio de Janeiro, Fabiano Fernandes (4-0) is one of the young, emerging beneficiaries of a rapid explosion in interest for Brazilian MMA. Training under the colorful Muay Thai instructor Heggas Zulu, Soldado has quickly made a transition from conquering the local amateur kickboxing circuit in Niteroi to providing dominant performances in some of the biggest MMA events in Rio.

Fabiano's main mode of fighting is to post up at a distance and counter his opponent's offense with his orthodox power Muay Thai. As an experienced kickboxer with good conditioning, he has the composure and quickness to check incoming strikes, but it's his uncanny takedown defense and stifling top control that really impress.

A combination of strong hips and sound technique mean that most of his opponents' shots end up with Soldado on top, using his wide base to hold the position and pound his victims into submission. And if they do escape back to their feet, Soldado's high-paced barrage of punch-kick combinations forces them back to shooting for increasingly desperate takedowns. While it remains to be seen how he would fare against a great wrestler, Soldado's imposing skill set has seen all his fights end via TKO from mount.

1. Josh Hill
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/21/2650681/josh-hill-mma-4-world-mma-bantamweight-scouting-report

Joshhill_large_medium
    Photo by MMANewsCanada.com
    Name: 22px-flag_of_canada Josh Hill
    Nickname: --
    Height: 5' 6"

Hailing from Stoney Creek, Ontario, 25-year-old bantamweight prospect Josh Hill (7-0) could be the next prospect in Canada's regional scene to get a phone call from UFC matchmaker Joe Silva. Over the course of only two years in the sport, Hill has compiled seven wins and no losses, maintaining an unblemished record while defeating notables Federico Lopez, Darin Cooley, and Diego Wilson in 2011.

His success is directly rooted to his work ethic and well-rounded skills. He possesses a speedy Muay Thai striking game, a strong physique, excellent conditioning, and powerful wrestling. It's quite the package in comparison to some of the other prospects we've already covered on the countdown. While he lacks the submission skills to threaten consistently on the mat, he more than makes up for it with brutalizing ground and pound and a relentless pace.

Hill is fighting out of Iron Tiger Muay Thai... one of the camps to keep an eye on in 2012. They've got some great young talent

Thread needs moar vids?

ttt

DamnSevern -
smoogy - DamnSevern do you live in NY? And do you ever attend ROC or CFFC shows? Because those are IMO two of the top three promotions on the east coast and everyone who lives in NY says it's too far to go for them.

used to live in nyc, recently moved to jersey city which is right outside nyc.

I've only been to 1 roc show..Im gonna try to check out more next year.

The talent that comes from roc alone is insane.

Ur right there!! U have to go!! I'm on LI and go to every ROC fight. Always Awesome fights. I cover the events for Garv, other sites and papers. Funny, actually Interviewing Lou Neglia tomorrow. Next show is Feb 10th.

Great job Smoggy. U use that Misha stuff I sent u? (I used to be ArmbarBCutie) Got my new biz niz name bc getting my own MMA site soon :) Phone Post

Yes I read your profile on Misha, that was good stuff. He looked really solid in his last fight, like he's turned a corner in terms of pacing and composure.

Good luck with the new site, I like the domain name. And if you like ROC, I'd also check out CFFC, the promoter is on the UG (name: AGJ) so maybe you can bug him for discounted tickets :-)

Claudio is the awesome!

1. Chris Holdsworth
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/22/2653881/chris-holdsworth-mma-world-mma-bantamweight-scouting-report-3

722777581318d92e0a086c50897cca5a_large_medium
    Photo by Chris Garcia
    Name: 22px-flag_of_the_united_states Chris Holdsworth
    Height: 5'11"

One would be hard pressed to find a résumé as extensive and impressive as Cobra Kai's Chris Holdsworth (3-0). The 24-year-old Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt, who is also an instructor at Marc Laimon's school in Las Vegas, Nevada, has decimated any and all challengers to his undefeated record. After capping off a 6-0 amateur record by defeating touted featherweight prospect Anthony Gutierrez (4-0) in only two minutes and thirty-two seconds last August, Holdsworth turned pro, winning all three of his bouts with a total cage time of only four minutes and forty-eight seconds.

Holdsworth's nine-fight run can be attributed to his excellent grappling chops and aggressive, in-your-face style of fighting. He's also physically superior to most of his competition as he sports a 5'11" frame, the largest on our countdown.

Fearlessness is also a key reason to his quick success. Holdsworth doesn't patiently wait for openings. He's an aggressive fighter who uses his reach and striking ability to distract his opponents before barreling into their midsections for takedowns. Once on the ground, Holdsworth is efficient, transitioning effortlessly to side control and mount, normally looking for the armbar or catching the back as his opponent rolls to avoid his grasp.
    MORE

ttt

ttt

holdsworth looks nasty on the ground.

DamnSevern -  holdsworth looks nasty on the ground.

Just came to say this same thing. Phone Post

Yep his BJJ is nuts for someone that young

1. Aljamain Sterling
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/12/22/2654118/2012-world-mma-bantamweight-scouting-report-2-aljamain-sterling

Aljamain_sterling_jpg_large_medium
    Name: 22px-flag_of_the_united_states Aljamain Sterling
    Height: 5'7"

Chiming in at #2 on the 2012 World MMA Bantamweight Scouting Report, Ring of Combat bantamweight champion Aljamain Sterling (5-0) claims his spot on our countdown. The 22-year-old two-time NCAA Division III wrestler has recorded six straight wins since turning pro in April, beating fellow 2012 Scouting Report rankee Claudio Ledesma (5-2) in June to obtain the Ring of Combat crown. After a TKO win over Evan Chmielski at CFFC 10 in July, Sterling won the CFFC bantamweight strap three months later, beating heralded wrestler Sean Santella (8-3-1) over five rounds at CFFC 11.

Don't be fooled by the perception that NCAA Division III credentials mean little when stacked up against NCAA Division I champions like UFC veterans Phil Davis and Josh Koscheck. That may be true on the wrestling mat, but the goal for amateur wrestlers turned mixed martial artists is to transition those skills to the cage successfully. Sterling has done that, utilizing an explosive takedown game that has enabled him to beat some of the best young prospects in the Northeast region.
    MORE

ttt