2018 Tournaments are growing strong...

QTyp - Damn, sucks about JLB being out. I'm still looking forward to this tourney either way. I'm surprised Fujita is an alternate. He is a bigger name than most on that card.

He is a big name but he is 47 and has not won a fight in ten years, going 0-8. He no longer has his chin or mobility.

Weigh ins:

Aorigele (161.7kg) vs Kim Jae-Hun (137.2kg)

Mighty Mo (133.5kg) vs Gilbert Yvel (125.1kg)

Oli Thompson (101.2kg) vs Deng Chaolong (100.6kg)

Chris Barnett (126.5kg) vs Alexandru Lungu (148.6kg)

Fujita Kazuyuki (120.4kg) vs Kong Handong (104.3kg)

Aorigele- 355 lbs.

Lungu- 326 lbs.

Some big dudes, Yvel 276… guess he has been lifting. Think I remember him fighting around 225 lbs when he was a kid.

All the fights are up on ROAD's youtube except the Aorigele fight that should be up soon.

RKing85 - Need to be one night tournaments. One night tournaments make the world a better place.

Seriously though, a fighter will make a name for himself much faster if he wins 3 fights in one night than he does if he wins those exact same 3 fights but them spaced out over the course of 6 months.

I agree with this. In the tournament UFCs fighters would be seen more than once and you started like the different fighter. You would wait an hour between fight instead of 4-8 months.

With that said, it will never come back. Fighters wouldnt never be cleared to fight s second time and replacements would slide in. Damn fighter safety!

Even UFC wanted in on the tournament action…

2018- Return of the Tournament!

Ariel Helwani

?Verified account @arielhelwani

After UFC 223, a plan was put in place for a mini tournament involving four of the biggest stars in MMA: Khabib vs. McGregor and GSP vs. Diaz. Winners face off. That stalled. And now Khabib wants GSP

kungfugrip -
RKing85 - Need to be one night tournaments. One night tournaments make the world a better place.

Seriously though, a fighter will make a name for himself much faster if he wins 3 fights in one night than he does if he wins those exact same 3 fights but them spaced out over the course of 6 months.

I agree with this. In the tournament UFCs fighters would be seen more than once and you started like the different fighter. You would wait an hour between fight instead of 4-8 months.

With that said, it will never come back. Fighters wouldnt never be cleared to fight s second time and replacements would slide in. Damn fighter safety!

It’s been done not that long ago.I think in Oklahoma where Carneiro(?) Won,with Chael commentating.Also WSOF also did one for lightweights.i think OnE has only done 4 man tourney.

2018 tournaments are growing stronger!

Bellator has announced the 8-man WW tournament will start on Sep 29th.

No fights or participants announced but Rory is supposed to participate per the LA Times.

I would think Lima, Koreshkov, Fitch, Daley, MVP, Gracie, Danis, and Anderson are all being considered.

Ed Ruth and Logan Storley are also possible.

I can’t imagine a reason most of the guys I mentioned won’t be in the tourny.

Of course two of the eleven can’t participate.

Coker says here:

They are holding a WW GP presser in July with all eight fighters.

Ruth is fighting this weekend and is being considered for tourny.

Still undecided on Rory.

Koreshkov is fighting in July, he is being considered as well.

Its gonna be a year long tourny like the HW tourny.

Coker said Lima will be invited.

I’m predicting Rory, Ruth, Koreshkov, Lima, MVP, Daley, Gracie and Fitch. Maybe Larkin instead of Gracie or Fitch unless he wants to stay up at MW.

Storley might want in but won’t get a spot unless there is an injury. Same with Anderson.

Danis is too green and will not want in.

Someone must be injured for ROAD not to announce when the finals of the LW GP will be.

Heard Cucciniello scored a huge upset in a war to get into the finals. I can’t watch the TUF tournaments because I don’t have DVR and can’t sit through the “reality” content but still looking forward to the finals tomorrow…

LW

Mike Trizano vs. Joe Giannetti

FW

Brad Katona vs. Jay Cucciniello

Not to be outdone, KSW is getting in on the tournament action with a 4 man GP. Winner gets to fight Khalidov for the MW title.

TBD

Scott Askham

Damian Janikowski

Michal Materla

Any word on Rizin doing a GP this year? I see nothing set up for their July or August shows and thats usually when they do the first round.

Don’t know if Rizin is doing a MMA GP this year.

They are doing a kickboxing GP that starts in September and ends in December. Tenshin and Horiguchi will be in it.