Idk about you but I got team 2011 winning pretty dominantly

So much for the evolution of the sport

7 Likes

Jones
Jones
Andy
GSP
ISLAM by some kind of decision

Evolution of the sport is a fucking MYTH, at least once you get to the 2003+ range. It’s different people at different times. Sometimes the champs aren’t even close to the best (Bisping), it was more the other guy falling off, or luck in matchmaking, or just the matchup in general.

Gane was just the heavyweight champ for fucks sake

4 Likes

Bisping was fantastic. He won the belt with one eye ffs

1 Like

He wasn’t anywhere near the best and only got the title shot because Weidman pulled out. If he actually had to keep fighting he would have either never gotten a shot or never gotten a cocky Rockhold that had already beaten him. It’s all about luck and matchmaking, not some fake evolution of the sport because they are throwing calf kicks now.

2 Likes

BJ that fought Diego would beat Islam. Im sorry, but its true.

4 Likes

BJ Penn killer jab and impeccable takedown defense were the Prodigy to take it to the ground Isalm would be in for a hude awakening.

3 Likes

It could go that way

Quoted for truth.

3 Likes

Nah, evolution is real. You take an average fighter today with good calf kicks and plop them in the early 2000s theyd do very well. That said, matchmaking and luck absolutely plays a role. In another timeline Wonderboy is a former champion and Woodley isnt. But theres no timeline where Jones or GSP dont become champ. The fighters who can dominate their division over a period of many years were really fucking good.

1 Like

Jones
Jones
Pereira (only because Anderson was way past his prime in 2011)
GSP
Islam

Jones
Jones
Silva - @ajjr0ller, Pereira has zero ground and Silva had great BJJ. The moment this hit the ground, it would be over.
GSP
Islam

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I misremembered and thought 2011 was the year Anderson lost to Weidman the first time (was actually 2013). By that point he was pretty washed and couldn’t beat anyone other than Nick Diaz. That version of Anderson I think gets beaten by both Pereira and Izzy.

Turns out 2011 is the year he destroyed Belfort/Okami/Sonnen (rematch). So yeah, 2011 Anderson definitely wins this one.

1 Like

The ghost of Andy almost beat Stylebender just a few years ago. Peiera would be easier to beat.

1 Like

Ttt

3-2 Victory for the 2011 Champs

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was 4-1

The evolution of MMA was exponential for the first 10 years from 1993-2003.
Ever since it has been much much slower by comparison.
And lately there are even examples of a regression like this Champ comparison.

1 Like

Greats are always great no matter the era

But certain technical advancements can’t be ignored re calf kicks

Also the lower level fighters are undoubtedly better than they were 15 years ago.

3 Likes