25 Years Ago Today Canada Cried

yes, it happened

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/99-most-fascinating-things-wayne-gretzky-trade-25th-134800340.html

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/26245/impact-of-gretzky-trade-felt-25-years-later

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130809/wayne-gretzky-landmark-nhl-trades/?sct=nhl_t11_a1

I was 7 the day the world ended.

I love these excerpts from PuckDaddy's blog: 

68. Nelson Riis, a member of Parliament from British Columbia, urged the Canadian government to intervene and stop the trade. His plan? The government buys Gretzky from the Kings and then sells him to a Canadian team. That’s something not even the KHL dabbles in …

70. Meanwhile, New Democrat Leader Ray Martin wanted the Alberta government to intervene if Gretzky’s “personal services contract” had been sold to the Kings, as that contract had been used byPocklington as collateral to secure loans. [Globe & Mail]

Best day of my young life..this day launched my passion for hockey i still play ice and roller hockey to this day and im still a die hard kings fan because of this man.
The great one. Phone Post 3.0

I thought today was Biebers 25th bday.

Remember when he high sticked Gilmour y'all?

man, that was a great time to be in LA as a sports fan - we had Magic, Gretzky, and Bo

Based on this thread and others, many are still crying about it.

Mark Phone Post 3.0

I remember my grandpa (leafs fan) telling me and I didn't believe him. I was CRUSHED. Phone Post 3.0

MDF tm - aids Phone Post 3.0

lol

I was a Flyer fan living in LA with Kings season tix. So I was fucking livid.

I hated Gretzky. Respected him of course, but still...HATED HIM!

But it didn't take long for my dad to point out the benefits of being able to watch the best hockey player in the world in person 20-40 times a year. My hate quickly went away after that.

You could say "25 years ago, Canada cried" on any day.

But seriously, I was in Russia playing hockey before my senior year of high school when the Gretzky trade happened.

Because we had no access to any Western media in those days (Commie Russia), we thought our coaches were fucking with us until the Russian coaches we were training with asked us about it.

Gretzky was a great player, but fucksakes he's a baby! fuckin cried about everything... take a check into the boards like a fucking man..

Meohfumado - I was a Flyer fan living in LA with Kings season tix. So I was fucking livid.

I hated Gretzky. Respected him of course, but still...HATED HIM!

But it didn't take long for my dad to point out the benefits of being able to watch the best hockey player in the world in person 20-40 times a year. My hate quickly went away after that.
Understandable, there are players i hate but always think "hey if they played for US(kings) its almost impossible to hate them for the fact that they are here to help the team. Im still a fan of simmonds even though he plays in philly now, all ex kings players have a small piece if my hockey heart. I wish them all well. When lets say 2 teams play that i dont care for i usually root for one with an old ex kings player etc. why not. Phone Post 3.0

NorthernHospitality -

Gretzky was a great player, but fucksakes he's a baby! fuckin cried about everything... take a check into the boards like a fucking man..

True, but he was very small and almost had an "untouchable" factor to him like he wasnt supposed to be hit. I remember that he would get pissed when roughed up and mcsorley would come in and put a stop to it real quick and send a message to the other team.. "You mess with him, you have to answer to me"....ahh i miss those days of hockey where a tomahawk chop was a 2 minute slash not a 5 game suspension with a gay video explanation from shannahan. Phone Post 3.0

The only person crying was Greyzky. Phone Post 3.0

88samurai88 - 
NorthernHospitality -

True, but he was very small and almost had an "untouchable" factor to him like he wasnt supposed to be hit. I remember that he would get pissed when roughed up and mcsorley would come in and put a stop to it real quick and send a message to the other team.. "You mess with him, you have to answer to me"....ahh i miss those days of hockey where a tomahawk chop was a 2 minute slash not a 5 game suspension with a gay video explanation from shannahan. Phone Post 3.0

You are right!! but fuck man...to call him the greatest tho was a lil much imo...

I watched some old games and you would get crosschecked to bolivia in front of the net and in the corners it was insane. Now its a for sure penalty, oh and the hooking? It was literally hardly called a penalty i saw some of jagr and Lemieux plays and they would literally wrangle them and no calls..boy has the game changed. Phone Post 3.0