2nd interview?

I'm about to have one for an entry/mid level IT job. How is it different from the 1st one and what things should I do differently?

I was told I am competing with 1 other guy who had more experience than me, but they liked my answers to all their questions during the 1st interview. I will be meeting with the president of the company.

O OG Brethren I call upon thee once again to help thine self out, please cometh witheth the answers.

Thank you.

Don't say what you are bad at or what you don't know.

Try to encourage that you are a resource GURU, while the other guy may have more experience, you have the ability to find answers.

Make sure to emphasize your professionalism and the ability to talk to management and users without being a geek about it. Let them know that your communication skills are well.

Soft skills !!!! IT isn't just about what your know technically, if you know how those systems support the business and how essential they are, you are more more of an atrribute. Give examples of how you've worked hard without being asked. Show that you are project oriented and that you can bring ideas in that will either 1. save moneu 2. make money for the company.

Just go in with confidence in stride. You already know the guy knows more, don't use the cockiness factor but use the personal factors in order to shine above the rest of that one guy.

You've already sold them technically if you are there for a second interview, I would beleive they are feeling out your personality for this round.

I would just do what you are doing.

I have seen 2nd interviews for a few reasons. One is for somebody different to interview you who hasn't seen you before. Another is that they weren't sure and they have a new round of questions to ask. There a number of reasons you would be favored over the more experienced guy, including some that Fin said: personality, work ethic, recommendations, and lower salary would be some. Book knowledge can be another, and sometimes your experience is better or more relevant. Sometimes grades or institution (ie perceived potential) can factor into it.

To disagree (or clarify) with something Fin said: if you don't know, just say you don't know. With a technical interviewer, nothing sinks an interviewee quicker than a liar or BS'er.

"To disagree (or clarify) with something Fin said: if you don't know, just say you don't know. With a technical interviewer, nothing sinks an interviewee quicker than a liar or BS'er."

Well, true that.

The reason I said that is because a fault that I would do in an interview was volunteer that information, trying to be extra honest.

If I were asked that, its a totally different situation and I would not bullshit as I'm smart enough to know there are people much sharper than I.

Wow! I can always count on your guys for good advice, thank you so much Fin, asdf, and dafelst!

I think I came off as very professional, intelligent, but a somewhat rigid individual in the first interview so your points on personality are spot on. In my interview with them I tried to convey that my work ethic is unprecedented, but I don't want to repeat the same things I said last time and sound all robot-ey.

I did not BS them at all and I think they respected that. This job would require travel about once a month to major cities in the US, which would be very cool for me bc I am young and there are many places I have yet to see and experience.

This company is not really my top choice, I have another interview on next week that would be an awesome oppotunity for me. It is a big corp so I am glad I have a few formal interviews under my belt before going in there.

I went in for a different interview last week and got the job but turned it down because the pay was crap. Having both of these companies I am having interviews with next week willing to hire me, and then being able to weigh the offers would be a dream come true!

how can they tell you are bsing if you did?

i have a question because it happen to me for my 2nd interview

if the president ask you a technical question, but this question he is asking you is wrong, would you correct him then answer the question?

or do you just answer his wrong question with a answer?

If i correct him, then this president will feel stupid and not hire me to save face or get even.

if i answer his wrong question then maybe he is setting me up to see if i really know the answer or not?

what would you do?

"if the president ask you a technical question, but this question he is asking you is wrong, would you correct him then answer the question?"

Tell him (or her) you don't understand the question, ask for clarification of the question in general or certain conditions of the question.

It is possible to see if he is testing you to see if you will stand up and ask for clarification. It is also possible he'll talk about or distribute your answers later to the team in which case your incorrect answer to his incorrect question will be exposed.