2x4 pushups

I finally got to try the extreme 2x4 pushups or a variant of it actually. I rigged up a 2x4 with 30lbs of chain on the end of it. The pushups weren't hard enough, I stopped after doing 10 reps.

Then I did pushups with a 50lb vest and a 2x4 on my back. This was harder than the first version, but still not hard enough for strength work. Towards the end of the set, I slid the 2x4 farther down my back to make the lever longer and the exercise got a little harder. I may try a few more experiments with this.

Here is the link for extreme 2x4 pushups:
http://reddeltaproject.com/2011/06/11/a-super-challenging-pushup-youve-never-seen-before/

I also tried one arm band assisted pushups. These were good. I was able to get 6 reps. These were hard enough for a strength workout.

Here is a link for one arm band assisted pushups:
http://shongrosse.com/2012/02/band-assisted-one-arm-pushups-a-better-alternative/#comments

How heavy was the chain?

vermonter - How heavy was the chain?

I used two 15lb chains.

Huh... how much of the board was beyond your head? I'd think the leverage would make it harder or as hard as the 50 lb vest.

vermonter - Huh... how much of the board was beyond your head? I'd think the leverage would make it harder or as hard as the 50 lb vest.

I didn't take measurements, but I think the board was about 2 feet past my head. Have you tried doing this type of pushup?

No, but I was thinking about modifying it as a way to add a lot of weight to a pushup as loading up your back just doesn't work beyond a point.

I also emailed back and forth with the guy. We were going to get together to work out but he disappeared.

vermonter - No, but I was thinking about modifying it as a way to add a lot of weight to a pushup as loading up your back just doesn't work beyond a point.

I also emailed back and forth with the guy. We were going to get together to work out but he disappeared.

I will give it another try and try to make sure more board is past my head.

vermonter - Huh... how much of the board was beyond your head? I'd think the leverage would make it harder or as hard as the 50 lb vest.

vermonter,

Just to clarify, when I did pushups with the 50lb vest, I was also using a 2x4 to increase the lever of my body,so it was like I was using 80lbs, I'm guesstimating.

Out To Lunch - 

vermonter,

Just to clarify, when I did pushups with the 50lb vest, I was also using a 2x4 to increase the lever of my body,so it was like I was using 80lbs, I'm guesstimating.

Yeah I saw that. Beast!

Cool idea, but way too much effort for what it's worth, IMO.

I love weighted pushups and think they're a badass exercise.  However, adding weight (esp when you train by yourself) can be a real bitch to do safely and effectively.

I've always been of the notion that (possible improved NMA aside) that most people want to do pushups either b/c they're just BWE fans and don't like lifting weights, or lift alone at home and don't have a safe way to bench heavy w/o a spotter.  And in those situations, they're fine.

If you can easily add weight to your pushups via weight vest, somehow draping chains across your back, etc, then go for it.  But when you start getting to crazy contraptions like this, then I think you've gone away from wanting to pushups for any real benefit's sake, and gone into the territory of doing whacky pushups for the sake of doing whacky pushups.

If you can easily and safely load weighted pushups, then go for it.  If not, then just bench.  If you can't do that, then focus on weighted dips and vertical pressing.

My two cents.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

Wiggy - 

Cool idea, but way too much effort for what it's worth, IMO.

I love weighted pushups and think they're a badass exercise.  However, adding weight (esp when you train by yourself) can be a real bitch to do safely and effectively.

I've always been of the notion that (possible improved NMA aside) that most people want to do pushups either b/c they're just BWE fans and don't like lifting weights, or lift alone at home and don't have a safe way to bench heavy w/o a spotter.  And in those situations, they're fine.

If you can easily add weight to your pushups via weight vest, somehow draping chains across your back, etc, then go for it.  But when you start getting to crazy contraptions like this, then I think you've gone away from wanting to pushups for any real benefit's sake, and gone into the territory of doing whacky pushups for the sake of doing whacky pushups.

If you can easily and safely load weighted pushups, then go for it.  If not, then just bench.  If you can't do that, then focus on weighted dips and vertical pressing.

My two cents.

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

In theroy, this exercise with 20lbs of resistance was supposed to be enough to create a tough workout, so I had to give these a try. 20 lbs and a piece of lumber are easier to setup than a bench and power rack IMO and also a more portable workout, BUT this has not been enough resistance for me, so I am going to have keep experimenting.

I am not a BWE guy, but I do like exploring these types of exercises sometimes. I am not worried about safety and I bench, but I want to slowly phase this lift out.

Pushups and bench presses are both horizontal pressing exercises, but pushups are healthier for the scapula and shoulders. If I can find a way to do pushups with enough resistance to get a good workout, I will start doing them more often.