3 generations die in backyard drowning!?

This is beyond upsetting and tragic.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/us/three-family-members-found-dead-in-nj-pool-trnd/index.html

"An 8-year-old girl, her mother and grandfather found dead in the pool of their New Jersey home died as a result of accidental drowning, the medical examiner's office said Tuesday.

The East Brunswick Police Department and Middlesex County Prosecutor's Office identified the victims as Bharat Patel, 62, his daughter-in-law Nisha Patel, 33, and her 8-year-old daughter. 
The manner of death was accidental and the result of drowning, the county Medical Examiner's Office said Tuesday.
The family had moved into the home just 20 days earlier, police said."

Even if NONE of them could swim, and all decided to throw caution to the wind and say screw it its hot as hell, how in the world could 2 adults and one child all drown together on the same day!?

FOUL PLAY!?

"Monday afternoon, police received a call from a neighbor who heard screaming, police Lt. Frank Sutter told CNN.
    Officers arrived at the home and found the victims unresponsive in a pool.
    The three were pronounced dead shortly afterward. There was another family member living in the house, but authorities didn't say how that person was related to the victims."

The only thing I can think of is an electrical issue with the pool heater. Maybe the kid got zapped and both the adults discovered the situation separately.  So the guy discovers the kid floating there and dives in to save her, he gets zapped and the mom finds them both there, dives in the save them and gets zapped as well.

Electric has already been ruled out.

Its possible the child was struggling, one adult had a medical incident while trying to help, and the other followed suit trying to save both. Neighbors heard frantic screaming.

Sad, but if you own a pool you owe it to your family and guests to be able to rescue someone who is drowning or at least have safety equipment nearby.

RIP

IronHands -

Electric has already been ruled out.

Its possible the child was struggling, one adult had a medical incident while trying to help, and the other followed suit trying to save both. Neighbors heard frantic screaming.

None of the 3 knew how to swim. 

that is beyond tragic. RIP to the family. I can't stomach the thought of a child drowning. 

I still don’t understand how a grown adult can drown in a swimming pool

how deep is this pool

1 Like

it was an above ground pool, both adults could stand and I would imagine the 8 year old could as well...the whole thing is bizarre

nudmamer -

how deep is this pool

That's my question, I'm picturing one of those above ground pools. Was this in ground or something? How deep was it?

SpunQ -

https://www.mobilitypartnership.org/authors/nisha-g-patel

Gates lady.

“She served in the Obama administration as director of the Office of Family Assistance within the US Department of Health and Human Services, overseeing a $17 billion annual portfolio of federal grants, including the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.”

clintoned?

1 Like

Briscoe - 
    nudmamer -

how deep is this pool

That's my question, I'm picturing one of those above ground pools. Was this in ground or something? How deep was it?

yes avg above ground pool

holly9000 -
    Briscoe - 
    nudmamer -

how deep is this pool

yes avg above ground pool

Looks like it may be one of those partial in ground pools, no? Meaning it may have a deep end

NJ family found dead in pool died from drowning: Medical examiner ...

SpunQ -

Gates lady.

Wow. How did you figure that out already? You quick meng.

SpunQ -
    Dajuisher -
    SpunQ -

Gates lady.

“She served in the Obama administration as director of the Office of Family Assistance within the US Department of Health and Human Services, overseeing a $17 billion annual portfolio of federal grants, including the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program.”

clintoned?

"17".

I dont want to get sucked back in dammit....

1 Like

There's a tarp on it in the google map. Call indicated a fall. Seems likely someone fell in & got tangled up in the tarp. Maybe someone fell in & got tangled up in their own sari. Maybe passed out from some unrelated condition & fell in unconscious. People drown in bathtubs; swimming isn't the only issue.

"Sad, but if you own a pool you owe it to your family and guests to be able to rescue someone who is drowning or at least have safety equipment nearby."

Sure, yeah, OK; maybe not the highest priority when you're still unpacking boxes.

SpunQ -

Gates lady.

Are you shitting me?

BarkLikeADog - "Sad, but if you own a pool you owe it to your family and guests to be able to rescue someone who is drowning or at least have safety equipment nearby."

Sure, yeah, OK; maybe not the highest priority when you're still unpacking boxes.

If they were "still unpacking boxes" the pool would be empty.

An accidental drowning, OK.  It happens.  Three people at the same time?  Possible, but I gotta think the odds are unbelievably low.   I'm waiting for more info to make up my mind on this one.  Just seems fishy.

1 Like