30-27?!

I had it 30-27 for Shields. Akiyama looked like a soon to be retiree.

Akiyama did absolutely nothing to score. Yes a couple of fancy trips, but they weren't takedowns in the sense of attempting to gain control of your opponent or fight on the ground. Rarely is anyone less busy than Akiyama was.

Did they actually say it was 30-27?

Maybe I have to rewatch, but didn't they just say 'winner by unanimous decision'?

Unanimous doesn't necessarily mean they scored it 30-27. It just means all judges agreed on who the winner was.

They could have all had it 29-28, that would still be a unanimous decision.

(It's also possible I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.)

jomxwll - I don't understand why stopping a takedown means nothing to the judges.

Just as I don't think that blocking/dodging/defending punches and kicks should mean anything to judges, I don't think that successfully defending takedowns should mean much at all.

It's a defense to your opponent's aggression, and it causes no damage.

It seemed like shields was always trying to catch up. Little peppering shots but nothing of any substance. Completely inneffective. Phone Post

StretchPlum - Akiyama did absolutely nothing to score. Yes a couple of fancy trips, but they weren't takedowns in the sense of attempting to gain control of your opponent or fight on the ground. Rarely is anyone less busy than Akiyama was.

Really?!? Seemed similar to the last Diaz fight. Shields attacking but doing nothing significant. I will rewatch tommorow. Phone Post

Mma junkie had it 29-28 sexy Phone Post

Judges be racist again the natives!!! Phone Post

AlmightyCrom - Did they actually say it was 30-27?

Maybe I have to rewatch, but didn't they just say 'winner by unanimous decision'?

Unanimous doesn't necessarily mean they scored it 30-27. It just means all judges agreed on who the winner was.

They could have all had it 29-28, that would still be a unanimous decision.

(It's also possible I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.)

The sub titling I read said all three scored it 30-27. Phone Post