30 Day Free Trial ??

I see almost every BJJ or MMA gym is offering this deal these days. How does it work? Is it literally free or do you have to put down a deposit or something like that that you only get back if you attend a minimum number of classes? I ssume it must be a good idea due to the number of gyms that are using it.

Good question- I see a lot advertising that there is nothing to sign, or buy, and that there is no catch.

I always assumed that the school is offering you 1 month free after you sign a 1 year contract with them...but then that wouldn't really be nothing to buy, would it?

I think you get a 30 day free trial, and then you have to wear a silly bright-colored shirt to class that says 30 day free trial, and you get sick of looking stupid, and you sign up.

there are several different ways, one like temp says is the hopes that the silly shirt embarrasses you enough to enroll (some schools have contests to see who can design the ugliest shirt)...two, you are encouraged to enroll your first day and thus saving money on the enrollment fee, or you get free swag ...three, the shirt identifies you as a free loader and with enough high pressure selling you either enroll or quit coming (but you get to keep the ugly shirt :)

AWSolis - there are several different ways, one like temp says is the hopes that the silly shirt embarrasses you enough to enroll (some schools have contests to see who can design the ugliest shirt)...two, you are encouraged to enroll your first day and thus saving money on the enrollment fee, or you get free swag ...three, the shirt identifies you as a free loader and with enough high pressure selling you either enroll or quit coming (but you get to keep the ugly shirt :)

Wow, that is some nutty stuff.

Silly me, when I opened my academy, I wanted to copy what the others were doing- However, I didnt know most of their 30 day offers had strings attached.

I also offer 30 days free- just sign a waiver, and train in as many classes as you want within 30 days.

Interesting, didn't know about the T-shirts. I also suspect its to get a lot of names on your email mailing list so you cand send them offers etc.

We do it at the Shendokan.

You just have to pay a $150 service fee and the entire month is FREE!

It's all lloyd irvin. That's why every website and every gym's marketing and membership deals are identical.

It might bring more $$$ to these gyms, but I personally would never train at any of these types of places. Phone Post

The theory is that 30 days of anything makes it a habit. Lots of industries do this 30 day free/money back guarantee, etc. if you use/do something for 30 days you become hooked.

Also, you theoretically have 30 chances to sign that person up. Pressure sales tacticians will tell you if your client comes for 30 days and your sales staff hadn't signed them up then your sales staff should be fired. Your client liked it enough to come for 30 days then your staff should close.

Everyone does it a little different. Phone Post

I do not use a 30 day free offer. Not that its a bad plan it just doesn't fit with how we do things. Phone Post

I know some places also make you pay for it if you actually join. If you quit within the 30 days you walk away with no charge, but if you want to join you pay double the first month. Some schools don't charge you for that month if you join.

The schools are supposed to go through all of the steps to sign you to a contract, get your billing information, etc. Then they give you a dead line, like you have to turn in a form saying you are not joining by a certain date at a certain time. If you don't then the auto billing on the contract kicks in. You can't just quit going and expect to not get charged unless you follow the steps they set out.

Most people are honest about these programs and tell you everything up front. But I am sure there are a few bad apples out there. So make sure you fully understand everything before you sign anything.

The 30 days free is actually a good thing for both the new student and the school. As long as everyone involved is fully informed.

i have a friend whos a member here who just lets his potential students start paying the next month. He just tells them if they want to join start try it for a couple weeks then start paying the month after. Seems good business practice as his mats are always full and the students that he does have have been with him for years with a healthy mix of new students who have signed up. doesnt hurt he has a super low overhead and can afford that but he has a very strong school. oh he also has great technique

nothing wrong with giving something away? what's 30 days of not earning anything? if they love it and stay for years you get your money back 1000 times over..

I dont offer this at my gym, but we do give 2 weeks free trial. the thing is they would not be there anyway so either way you would not get paid.

i used to think giving things away for nothing cheapened the product, but now days i think its a good idea, as people that may not have otherwise started training take the plunge when the pressure is off

I dont think people are really debating the merits of giving away 30 days for free.

What is/should be debated is if it really is entirely free, with no strings attached?

Even the whole deal with autorenewal, and charging you unless you actively cancel- what is the reason behind this? I know it simplifies things for the owner, but it seems inherently a bit shady.

we have, 30 days notice and your out of the contract... think this is the minimum you can get... no strings... if you want to quit at any time, tell us the month before and its done.

this is probably why im not rich lol

Bright colored tshirts are for amateurs. At our gym we make the free trial folks endure the dildocorn. It's basically a strap on headband--however never, under any circumstance, would we let them keep it. Phone Post