30 PLUS Year olds and Working out?/

im 36 and im definitely starting to notice aches and pains and a general lack of motivation to hit the gym...i cant tell if this is normal with my job and other things going on or if im working out too much..id have to say i work out pretty hard, interval training, heav sets mixed with cardio, bodyweight exercises..i work out for about an hour 5-6 days a week..on top of that i will take my dogs hiking 3-4 times a week for a few hours each time...im having a hard time gauging my body though..i dont get as much sleep as i should so i try to nap when possible which honestly dont seem to help much at all in terms of energy levels..

how often do you guys workout and when do you start to notice you are overdoing it, not giving your body enough time to rest etc etc?as it is right now, i feel i should take more rest days but then i feel lazy when i dont workout so wtf..

this only goes for guys in their 30s and up...im noticing the huge gap in performance in my mid 30s as to when i was early 20s..ugghhh

Weight train 3-4 times a week
One day a week for yoga
Eat healthy as fuk with exception of one cheat day.

Check your resting hear rate. Could be that you're overtraining.

Also, check your testosterone levels. Could be that it's low. Phone Post 3.0

I am 40 and work out every day, several times a day. Yeah, my body gets sore sometimes and there are days where I don't push it 100%, but mentally, I just keep going. If I wake up and don't feel like working out, I do it anyways, which always makes me feel better.

I make it a point to crush myself several times a week, which has seemed to keep me motivated and feeling young, not mention still out working the youngsters...

1. I lift heavy 15 hours a day. I work for 8 hours a day and take my kids for a walk 1 hour a day. No rest. No stopping. No fear. Phone Post 3.0

Eggbert - 38. Lift like a madman 6 days a week. I eat extremely healthy. I still have no problem keeping up with my kids and climb around jungle gyms, play soccer, baseball, football, frisby etc with them every day. Phone Post 3.0

do you take any extra supplements though?i dont mean the ones from GNC lol...

yeah again it seems like its an individual thing..i know guys in their 30s that are gymrats and dont suffer the effects yet others cant train heavy more than twice a week without getting burned out...

Death and Taxes - You need that sleep Phone Post 3.0

lol easier said than done..my doctor tells me 8-10 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night..im like I TRY but its not that easy...i cant remember the last time i slept 8 hours straight through..

BJJ or Muay Thai twice a week
Weights 3-4 times a week
Yoga1-2 times/week Phone Post 3.0

42 here and I try and work out at least 5 days a week.  It's like I can feel myself getting fatter on the days I don't workout.  Over doing it is a concern though.  My knees will let me know if I have gone to far.

One of the best things I purchased this year was a rowing machine.  Low impact, surprisingly good cardio and a full body workout.

I try to run 2 to 3 times per week.  My runs are relatively short, a couple miles, but it gets the heart pumping.  On the days I don't run, I walk my dogs 2.5 to 5 miles.  I really don't know how much I get from the walking but I figure its better than nothing.  Also have a treadmill for the winter days.

Recently bought a new mountain bike.  I don't do long rides but I will take it out for a spin and get my quads burning.  I do this maybe once a week.

Dang its hard to keep the weight off once you get to a certain age.  Especially when you love food like I do.

32 next Sunday. BJJ 4 days a week. Lift 4 days a week. Use cell tech to improve my recovery Phone Post 3.0

Bry Bry - im 36 and im definitely starting to notice aches and pains and a general lack of motivation to hit the gym...i cant tell if this is normal with my job and other things going on or if im working out too much..id have to say i work out pretty hard, interval training, heav sets mixed with cardio, bodyweight exercises..i work out for about an hour 5-6 days a week..on top of that i will take my dogs hiking 3-4 times a week for a few hours each time...im having a hard time gauging my body though..i dont get as much sleep as i should so i try to nap when possible which honestly dont seem to help much at all in terms of energy levels..

how often do you guys workout and when do you start to notice you are overdoing it, not giving your body enough time to rest etc etc?as it is right now, i feel i should take more rest days but then i feel lazy when i dont workout so wtf..

this only goes for guys in their 30s and up...im noticing the huge gap in performance in my mid 30s as to when i was early 20s..ugghhh
You don't need to "workout" to be active. Use a day of active recovery as a rest day. Phone Post 3.0

jdindiana - 32 next Sunday. BJJ 4 days a week. Lift 4 days a week. Use cell tech to improve my recovery Phone Post 3.0
What is cell tech? Phone Post 3.0

ChicagoTom - 35. I lift heavy 15 hours a day. I work for 8 hours a day and take my kids for a walk 1 hour a day. No rest. No stopping. No fear. Phone Post 3.0
This guy is doing it right! Phone Post 3.0

Bjj 2-3x a week.
Work travel and hotels Phone Post 3.0

Top for hints Phone Post 3.0

47 here - play squash 5x per week, but i pay for it at night - jitz wrecked my feet with torn ligaments - had to give it up at 40 - so yeah, just have to suck it up and do it - otherwise get old and fat Phone Post

microbiologynerd - Bjj 2-3x a week.
Work travel and hotels Phone Post 3.0
Meant to finish with "work travel and botels make it tougher to work out... But even the shittiest hotel "fitness center" will have weights and some machines.

Worst case- go jogging in a new city Phone Post 3.0

I am 33 and workout every chance I get.

I run roughly 25 miles a week, I also run with a BOB running stroller and push both my kids.

I strength train maybe two days per week and it is a combination of OLY lifts and body weights exercises.

I eat very healthy (my metabolism has slowed), I drink a lot more water than I used to and I am very careful with my supplements. I SWEAR by a good multi vitamin and glucosamine. I take a variey of other vitamins, but those are my two must have.

I have noticed that my recovry time has definetely slowed down as I get older. Just listen to your body and keep plugging away!!

I don't know how much advice you'll actually get since you just asked everyone to ego-masturbate all over your thread. One massive sausage party!

Anyhow, I'd say more than ever go with "instinctual" training. You could ignore it when you were younger, but pay attention to every little ache and pain. They are warning signs. Your body is saying "Go ahead. I fucking dare you to do that again."

At which point, you get to say hello to an injury. The older you get, the more rest you need and the cleaner your diet has to be.

Having said that, you can still have intense workouts. Just as intense if not more so. You just can't get away with blowing up sleep and eating anything.

I'm 43 and probably in the best shape of my life. I only workout when my body gives me permission. Fine tune yourself to your body. Do lower impact training, especially cardio.

Good luck.

I'm 40 and I still workout and train 6 days a week. What I have done to minimize the Oisin is I train smarter. I only train with people who aren't spazzes and can control themselves. I'm not trying to be a world champ or anything. Most importantly I think though is that I've really invested in learning more about proper posture, stretching, mobility, etc. that has helped tremendously. As far as supplements, I only take fish oil 3.5mg per day and vitamin d and protein shakes.

I need to find something or someway to get my motivation back. I was a chubby kid growing up..got in much better shape in high school and college through sports and activity. From 25 through 35 I worked out religiously. Weights, cardio, etc..I was never ripped but I was in good shape and content. I craved working out.

Fast forward 3-4 years and now I have two little ones and a job getting more stressful by the day. I'm lucky to work out more than once a week. I wish I could chalk it up simply to laziness or lack of time..that would at least be an easy fix. My problem is decreasing energy and desire and I'm sure it is stress and age related. I need to get my shit together for my sake and my families. I'm sure my testosterone is low but I don't want to go that route...yet. Are there any supplements that actually work? More often than not if I can plan out a routine I'll stick to it. Phone Post 3.0