$35,000 to $1,000,000 in Less than 1 Year

Zned -

Also, most "hedgies" don't try to "pick the market".

RV is still picking the market, macro is picking the market. 

ryunz - 
Zned -
ryunz - 

Hedgies can't consistently pick the market. This stuff shouldn't be encouraged

That is a silly statement.

Speculation is one of the most efficient ways to becoming wealthy in our great nation. Some people are speculators, some aren't. To each their own.

We have had some hucksters hit these boards, and I have been the first to call them out.

This guy isn't selling anything. He was speculating, and posting his trades.

Congratulations to him.

Speculation is not an efficient way of becoming wealthy,  buy and hold is.

There's no empirical evidence that the best fund managers are able to consistently pick the market and a lot of evidence they can't.

For every one of these stories there are a hundred everymen who have lost their life savings

Good for him, but it's not to be encouraged 

That is the name of the game. Without great risk there is no great reward. Speculation is a great way to become wealthy.

If you are going to speculate you put your big boy pants on and be a big boy about it. Otherwise stay home.

Some people are made for it, others aren't. A young kid I hired is made for it. Cool calm and collected. Trades like a beast. Gets a hard on from the risk. I encourage him.

Unless you are trying to sell someone systems and schticks, then to each their own.

ryunz - 
Zned -

Most hedge funds are strategic, not trying to pick tops and bottoms in market moves.

Hedge funds aren't there to "beat the market", they are there to fulfill a strategy.

I am not sure why people boo hoo someone for doing something exceptional.

He returned 2850% (approx) in a one year period where the S&P total return is -2.46% (-1.44% with dividends reinv)

Now lets see if he can keep it.  Never confuse a bull market and a talented trader.

1 Like
Zned -
ryunz - 
Zned -
ryunz - 

Hedgies can't consistently pick the market. This stuff shouldn't be encouraged

That is a silly statement.

Speculation is one of the most efficient ways to becoming wealthy in our great nation. Some people are speculators, some aren't. To each their own.

We have had some hucksters hit these boards, and I have been the first to call them out.

This guy isn't selling anything. He was speculating, and posting his trades.

Congratulations to him.

Speculation is not an efficient way of becoming wealthy,  buy and hold is.

There's no empirical evidence that the best fund managers are able to consistently pick the market and a lot of evidence they can't.

For every one of these stories there are a hundred everymen who have lost their life savings

Good for him, but it's not to be encouraged 

That is the name of the game. Without great risk there is no great reward. Speculation is a great way to become wealthy.

If you are going to speculate you put your big boy pants on and be a big boy about it. Otherwise stay home.

Some people are made for it, others aren't. A young kid I hired is made for it. Cool calm and collected. Trades like a beast. Gets a hard on from the risk. I encourage him.

Unless you are trying to sell someone systems and schticks, then to each their own.

I haven't worked with many traders who didn't like risk. That's not the issue. But what makes consistent money is not getting a hard on for risk, it's taking bid offer from guys like the one in the op

You know as well as I do that these guys are throwing money away long term. 

Zned -
ryunz - 
Zned -

Most hedge funds are strategic, not trying to pick tops and bottoms in market moves.

Hedge funds aren't there to "beat the market", they are there to fulfill a strategy.

Thanks for explaining that to me. 

it's taking bid offer from guys like the one in the op

What does this even mean?

ryunz - 
Zned -
ryunz - 
Zned -

Thanks for explaining that to me. 

You're welcome.

BailmeOut - 

Now lets see if he can keep it.  Never confuse a bull market and a talented trader.

I think that making it in the first place is quite enough to give him a pat on the back and a congratulations.

I knew an options trader it made good money at it consistently.  But he was very dedicated and unemotional about it.  

the guy in this article kept half his money in the cash which is a very good idea.  He has money management skills and most traders have absolutely none.

Zned -

Your junior trader might like taking big positions, we all do, but that's not what pays the bills long term. What pays long term is charging bid offer. Every story like this makes 100 other poor retail guys go out and lose their hat. Maybe it makes you money. I'm just glad I'm not trading with retail

ryunz - 
Zned -

Your junior trader might like taking big positions, we all do, but that's not what pays the bills long term. What pays long term is charging bid offer. Every story like this makes 100 other poor retail guys go out and lose their hat. Maybe it makes you money. I'm just glad I'm not trading with retail

Please define this.

(I am not a retail trader or a day trader)

Zned -
ryunz - 
Zned -

Please define this.

I know you're not. You're sell side cash equities trader I thought? Money is made in the long run by charging not by positioning. Not sure how I can further clarify that

We've spoken before but I changed my sn a little

ryunz - 
Zned -
ryunz - 
Zned -

Please define this.

I know you're not. You're sell side cash equities trader I thought? Money is made in the long run by charging not by positioning. Not sure how I can further clarify that

I am on the buyside for the last few years, 10 fig AUM.

I am not sure what you mean by charging in terms of trading.

ryunz -
Zned -
ryunz - 
Zned -

Please define this.

He is refering to market making.  Collecting the spread while keeping risk down.

Zned -
ryunz - 
Zned -
ryunz - 
Zned -

Please define this.

I am on the buyside for the last few years, 10 fig AUM.

I am not sure what you mean by charging in terms of trading.

Clients pay bid offer to sell side traders, that's how money is made long term, not from positioning. My point was that retail traders don't have that luxury so it's a losing game long term. Hence why these stories do damage: it encourages people to take risks they don't understand

He is refering to market making.  Collecting the spread while keeping risk down.

1. That isn't "buy and hold"

2. I highly doubt he is making markets in options, which is what the fellow in OP was trading.

3. Traditional market making isn't capturing spreads for profits.

(18 years as a market maker)

Zned -

I am not sure why people boo hoo someone for doing something exceptional.

He returned 2850% (approx) in a one year period where the S&P total return is -2.46% (-1.44% with dividends reinv)

2850% - 1.  his return would be 2750%.  2,757.14% to be exact.

Zned -

1. That isn't "buy and hold"

2. I highly doubt he is making markets in options, which is what the fellow in OP was trading.

3. Traditional market making isn't capturing spreads for profits.

(18 years as a market maker)

1. I was saying buy and hold is the only strategy available to retail. Trading options is a losing strategy

2. I have never made markets in options in the op. Doesn't affect my point at all.

3. Tell that to Volcker