3D Aquarium Backgrounds

Any experience with these?   Any brands to recommend?

My friend has one. Seems cool until he told me he spent like $200 on it and then I told him he was nuts. But he's into that shit. I can ask him where he got his if you would like.

Please do!

Add a couple red Solos to that tank and it would rock!

If you get one, make sure you get a high quality one. I had one years back. When I got it there were very expensive pieces that were made from like real pieces of rock and such glued together that looked great. I chose this neat jungle looking theme that was some form of plastic and hand painted. It was way fucking cheaper and I figured being a freshwater tank would last a while. It had like ancient looking ruins, steps, caves, jungle vines etc... lots of cool hiding places and when I added some java moss it looked pretty badass. Within a year the paint faded and then it looked like a white and brown petrified shit sculpture. I considered re-painting it, but just tossed it instead.

(I am assuming you mean the actual 3D backgrounds and not just the high def realistic looking background pics you put on the glass of the tank)

Do fish really get fooled by them or is it just for people to look at?

Captain Canuck - Do fish really get fooled by them or is it just for people to look at?

Ratings on Amazon from actual fish seem to be in the 3.6 to 4 range.

ptper - 
Captain Canuck - Do fish really get fooled by them or is it just for people to look at?

Ratings on Amazon from actual fish seem to be in the 3.6 to 4 range.

Fair enough then!

Lurker99 - 

If you get one, make sure you get a high quality one. I had one years back. When I got it there were very expensive pieces that were made from like real pieces of rock and such glued together that looked great. I chose this neat jungle looking theme that was some form of plastic and hand painted. It was way fucking cheaper and I figured being a freshwater tank would last a while. It had like ancient looking ruins, steps, caves, jungle vines etc... lots of cool hiding places and when I added some java moss it looked pretty badass. Within a year the paint faded and then it looked like a white and brown petrified shit sculpture. I considered re-painting it, but just tossed it instead.

(I am assuming you mean the actual 3D backgrounds and not just the high def realistic looking background pics you put on the glass of the tank)

Seems like something for a 180 gallon might be $400.  They're a few of big pieces of expanded polystyrene you silicone in place.

No advice from you cardboard box dwelling transients?

I got the Homeslice one. it's mostly red solo cups and poverty.

invalid - I got the Homeslice one. it's mostly red solo cups and poverty.

Is he the guy who killed a bunch of snails feeding them Funyuns?

Years ago there was a guy in Cali that built tanks with carved feather rock backrounds drilled and had dead coral heads plugged into them. It was stunning. Was called Undersea Habitats. Back in '86 i paid 5 grand for a 240gal, 8' long tank. He advertised in some popular fish mags back then. I still have the tank but its not in use, was taken down after superstorm Sandy.

good ones aren't cheap. expect to spend around 400-500 for a 180gl. not my thing, i've always preferred a black back/sides/botttom to really bring out the colors in my fish

There are DIY versions with how-to guides on aquarium forums.

They look easy enough to do. It's mostly styrofoam cut into rock shapes with colored cement painted on, sealed then silicone in place. I planned to make one a few years ago, but never went through with it.

When the water gets cloudy you can't see them anyway. 

Just ordered this one.

samichlaus -

Just ordered this one.

what are you keeping? africans?

Mr. Wright - 
samichlaus -

Just ordered this one.

what are you keeping? africans?

Keeping Africans was abolished by the 13th ammendment you monsters

1 Like

Fancy Goldfish. Have a couple large Orandas. Will get a couple more big guys 8"-10".   Bought a Blue Phoenix Eggfish here https://kingkoigoldfish.com