3rd party voting/ does it split?

Does anyone understand much about vote splitting- is it even real?

Does it always split one way?

Popular 3rd party candidates tend to split the Republican vote and guarantee a Dem win.

Teddy Roosevelt and the Bull Moose Party
Ross Perot in '92

People like to bring up Ralph Nader as a Dem party splitter, but he was never generally popular enough to draw away that many votes

phydeau - 

Popular 3rd party candidates tend to split the Republican vote and guarantee a Dem win.

Teddy Roosevelt and the Bull Moose Party
Ross Perot in '92

People like to bring up Ralph Nader as a Dem party splitter, but he was never generally popular enough to draw away that many votes

gore lost florida, which decided the election, by <540 votes. 24,000 registered democrats voted for nader in fla. in 2000.

H Ross Perot was the last time a 3rd party candidate will garner any signifcant votes.  After he grabbed 20+ percent both parties moved the goalposts to make it impossible for a candidate to gain a significant amount of votes.

We need a single non partisan ballot primary and then ranked voted for the top 5 in a national election.

So in phdeau’s case it favored the democratic and in Peixes example it favored the republican.

I don’t care for Trump or Biden and was considering Liberation Jo Jorgensen.

nhbmark2 - 

So in phdeau’s case it favored the democratic and in Peixes example it favored the republican.

i think it should be obvious that the stronger a third party candidate, the more they ultimately just advance the their own political opposition insofar as they split the vote with a party they overlap.

if there were parity it'd be different, but, as has been pointed out on this thread, extant powers have protections in place that keep upstarts from every achieving anything like parity. i think proportional representation is interesting because of this and a number of other drawbacks to the winner-take-all voting approach.

I see.

I don’t want Trump or Biden and might pick Libertarian Jo Jorgensen.
Why does that favor anyone else?
Why not have rank voting to solve it?
My vote should not go to Biden or Trump automatically- it should only go to my second choice