4k HDR

So right now my home theater has a 80" 1080p, looking to upgrade pretty soon and don't want to go any smaller than 75". Really don't want smaller than 80 but the HDR 80s are pretty spendy. Is HDR a difference maker? I'm looking at a 75" Samsung HDR for about $3500, plus I want to get xbox scorpio, so there's 4 grand. The part that sucks is from what I'm reading is I will need to upgrade my receiver since it only has hdmi 1.4 and that apparently doesn't work for HDR as HDMI 2.0 is needed. All my components run to my receiver and all my wiring is concealed in wall. Upgrading the tv is spendy enough, not looking forward to being forced to upgrade receiver just due to compatibility. Current receiver is yamaha rx-v671. So, HDR owners, how's the experience been? Worth the premium price?

Nobody?

I would get the xbox then wait a few months until the 2018 Samsung Series 8000 drops.

I have the samsung one, no problems after two years.

I've been die-hard Samsung for many years and my 80" is a Sharp since the super big Samsung were really spendy. The Sharp was over 4k but the Samsungs were even more. I won't buy anything other than Samsung again though.

X box Scorpio comes out this fall. I'd wait till that comes out.

I have a 65 samsung 8 series. I will be honest with you. I find the birghtness of hdr fatiguing. I tend to use custom settings that basically disable it. For my consoles I turn it off.

No point in having a 4K tv with no hdr.  

In to combat all the awful advice the OG serves when it comes to TV/tech purchases.

Based on what you wrote I would 1000% tell you to hold off on upgrading your set right now - especially if you're looking into buying a new receiver for your system.

There simply is not a lot of HDR content out there right now and most sets don't do HDR at it's full potential at the moment either.

In addition the newest HDMI standard is just hitting the market, HDMI 2.1, which the Scorpio supports and this will be the standard you want if you're a tech geek as it allows the display to match the frame rate of the output device leading to smoother motion.

If you're dead set on buying equipment then post what you're looking at here so I can let you know exactly what to expect, but in all honesty 2018 will be the year the first year I'd consider splurging on a 4K/HDR set - holidays 2017 at the earliest (when Scorpio is released).

Planet Earth 2 in 4k HDR is amazing. People come over and freak the fuck at at how good it looks. 

Outside of that, 4k content is pretty slim. 

Rolling2Quarters - X box Scorpio comes out this fall. I'd wait till that comes out.
I am waiting, I'm just gathering research.

It will be hard for me not to get Scorpio, then of course I will want a 4k tv to take advantage of Scorpio. If I buy a 4k tv, well supposedly HDR destroys regular 4k. So then a receiver upgrade will be mandatory. So I'll be hit financially on all 3 items at once. I just think it blows having to upgrade my perfectly good receiver for simply a video passthrough upgrade.

dushtin -

Planet Earth 2 in 4k HDR is amazing. People come over and freak the fuck at at how good it looks. 

Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube have a lot of 4K content.

you might need to upgrade your cables too

----------------------

A third category of cable was introduced on October 5, 2015 to meet the greater requirements of the HDMI 2.0 specification.[77] This category ensures that a cable will work at the 18 Gbit/s maximum bandwidth of HDMI 2.0, and tests cables at 600 MHz (2160p60 resolution), certifying them as Premium High Speed. In addition to expanding the set of cable testing requirements, the certification program introduces an EMI test to ensure cables minimize interference with wireless signals. These certified High Speed HDMI Cables are labelled as:[78]

• Premium High Speed HDMI Cable – 4K 60 fps, Rec. 2020, and HDR
  • Premium High Speed HDMI Cables with Ethernet

These cables are marked using a unique anti-counterfeiting authentication label on their products.

On January 4, 2017 HDMI Forum, Inc announced[79][80] new "48G" cable for supporting HDMI 2.1 features. This cable supports up to 48 Gbit/s of uncompressed data stream. This is a reliable high quality cable for robust, higher-bandwidth performance, and exceptionally low EMI. The 48G cable adds support for 4K and 8K at 120 fps. It adds support for 5K and 10K at 120 fps for PC displays, digital signage, surveillance, and various commercial and industrial AV solutions. These cables use existing HDMI type A, C and D connectors. 48G Cable is backwards compatible and can be used with the earlier HDMI devices.

• 48G Cable – 4K, 5K, 8K, 10K 120 fps

An HDMI cable is usually composed of four shielded twisted pairs, with impedance of the order of 100 Ω, plus several separate conductors...................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

TexDeuce - 
dushtin -

<span class="User-191418" id="userPost59942348">Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube have a lot of 4K content.</span></blockquote>

Vudu, Google Play, Curiostiy Stream, and Ultra flix which has close to a thousand title.

*FYi to OP there is quite a bit of HDR blu ray availabe

* HDR and Dolby Vision are both available on a number of sets meaning the sets displays both formats

* There is plenty of content unless you watch 7-8 hours of tv a day and even then still enough to take you until the end of the year not counting the fact that more 4k and HDR content is being released each week

* I have been enjoying 4k HDR content for quite some time and as said new stuff drops every week I'm not waiting for stuff

If Scorpio has dual HDMI out you can potentially avoid upgrading your receiver for a while. Unfortunately the Xbox One S doesn't so I'm not sure what the plan is yet with Scorpio.

I just upgraded to a 75" Sony 940D 2 weeks ago and love it so far. I was able to get it for $2800 so I decided to just pull the trigger. I haven't been totally wowed with HDR as much as I have by true 4k material like Planet Earth 2. Otherwise just about all the 4k material out there is upscaled from 2k.

Right now there is little incentive to change from a great 1080p panel to 4k(with or without HDR). There isn't enough content to justify it yet. So you'd be spending a lot of money for no gain at all (and may find the new tech panel doesn't last as long die to bring first gen).

These are my cables

FLAT HDMI Cable 2.0 - 25 Feet, High Speed HDMI Flat Wire, 7.6 Meter By Ultra Clarity - CL3 Rated - Audio Return Channel, 4K Ultra HD 2160p, Bandwidth up to 18Gbps, 3D HD 2 X 1080p, Gold Tip Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016WM5AG8/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_mHHbzbN8ZNYKR

Calavaro - Right now there is little incentive to change from a great 1080p panel to 4k(with or without HDR). There isn't enough content to justify it yet. So you'd be spending a lot of money for no gain at all (and may find the new tech panel doesn't last as long die to bring first gen).

Generally I find the people that say that don't actually have experience with the tech there is quite a bit of content hell I have been enjoying it for the past year and have no trouble finding content In addition, the prices of 4k sets with HDR isn't that much more than any other set

BradGluckman -
Calavaro - Right now there is little incentive to change from a great 1080p panel to 4k(with or without HDR). There isn't enough content to justify it yet. So you'd be spending a lot of money for no gain at all (and may find the new tech panel doesn't last as long die to bring first gen).

Generally I find the people that say that don't actually have experience with the tech there is quite a bit of content hell I have been enjoying it for the past year and have no trouble finding content In addition, the prices of 4k sets with HDR isn't that much more than any other set

It seemed to me the difference was quite a lot.