5/3/1

I recently like a week ago started lifting and plan on following the 5/3/1 program by Wendler but had a couple year layoff from lifting and physical activity. 

I used to 1rm bench 340 but recently was barely able to lift 200 for 5.

should I hold off on my 5:3/1 calculations for a couple weeks and see how my fbeginner gains pan out? Or just do it now? 

Stick with the plan as written. The man knows what he's talking about. 

Testiculos Ferro -

Stick with the plan as written. The man knows what he's talking about. 

That's not my issue want to follow his plan just not sure if I should do the math now or after I know where I'm at 

Start lighter than you think you should, dont let ego get in the way.

The program is based on this and gaining over a few cycles.

Its an awesome plan, stay with the basics of it at first.

Holy fuck guys I got it. The weight recommendations are 90% of your 1RM, my issue is that my 1RM is going to improve dramatically over the next 2 weeks. Should I wait and do the calcs then or do them now 

Crisco -

Holy fuck guys I got it. The weight recommendations are 90% of your 1RM, my issue is that my 1RM is going to improve dramatically over the next 2 weeks. Should I wait and do the calcs then or do them now 

Do them now, keep it light, it will pay off a few cycles down the road.

Yeah either stay low and play the long game or if you're really that concerned with becoming reaacquantied with your newb gains, just follow a 5x5 program for a month and switch to wendlers plan when you stall.  

Kinda depends on your body structure and training history. 200 x 5 gives you an estimated 1RM of 230 ((200 x 5 x .03) + 200). That's a 110lbs drop in a year.

Two weeks ain't gonna see you putting 40lbs back on your 1RM unless you had quite a lengthy training history and/or have the structure for it.

Go ahead and start now. See what your estimated 1RMs are from your reps sets after a cycle.

If they're dramatically higher than when you started, take your deload week, re-test the following week, then start your next cycle.

Or just take the estimated 1RMs at the end of your first cycle from your reps sets and plug those into the program. Could even use 80% of your new estimated 1RMs instead of 90% for your second cycle to ensure you're starting below where you should.

Then just do everything to the letter after that.

Crisco -

Do them now.

Great plan program btw.

Do it as you are now. What's the rush? It will give your joints time to catch up to the strength of muscles, and prevent injury. Angry Penguin has the right idea.

OJTT_Wiggy - Kinda depends on your body structure and training history. 200 x 5 gives you an estimated 1RM of 230 ((200 x 5 x .03) + 200). That's a 110lbs drop in a year.

Two weeks ain't gonna see you putting 40lbs back on your 1RM unless you had quite a lengthy training history and/or have the structure for it.

Go ahead and start now. See what your estimated 1RMs are from your reps sets after a cycle.

If they're dramatically higher than when you started, take your deload week, re-test the following week, then start your next cycle.

Or just take the estimated 1RMs at the end of your first cycle from your reps sets and plug those into the program. Could even use 80% of your new estimated 1RMs instead of 90% for your second cycle to ensure you're starting below where you should.

Then just do everything to the letter after that.

Gracias this is good. Thanks for the attempts all. 

Angrypenguin - 

Start lighter than you think you should, dont let ego get in the way.

The program is based on this and gaining over a few cycles.

Its an awesome plan, stay with the basics of it at first.

This.

If you start lighter than you should, the program catches up to you.