5th Round

I have a question for all of those who believe that the 5th round should have been 10-8 for Rua.

Should dominating wrestlers who take a guy down in the beginning of the round, and maintain top control and receive no damage from the other guy's guard also receive 10-8 rounds?

Rua had the mount for most of the round, yet did almost no damage. In fact, the fact that he was in such a superior position and could do no damage should be an argument against a 10-8 round. He accomplished no more in that round than a wrestler who takes down his opponent and maintains top control all round while doing minimal damage with hammerfists and pitter patter punches. If Dan doesnt get a 10-8 round for blasting Shogun and being within seconds of the fight being stopped, then Rua doesnt get a 10-8 for sitting on top of him and doing no damage.

I disagree. Shogun maintained dominant position 4.5 minutes of that round. Mounted the only effective offense and delivered the only significant strikes of the round. He negated every escape and repeadetly mounted and delivered strikes to Hendo.

10-8 rounds are about domination of scoring criteria. And that round was pure domination even if Hendo didn't recieve massive amounts of lacerations etc....

10-9 rounds are about a round in which one competitor gains slight or significant advantages according to scoring criteria. Phone Post

kancho assassin - I disagree. Shogun maintained dominant position 4.5 minutes of that round. Mounted the only effective offense and delivered the only significant strikes of the round. He negated every escape and repeadetly mounted and delivered strikes to Hendo.

10-8 rounds are about domination of scoring criteria. And that round was pure domination even if Hendo didn't recieve massive amounts of lacerations etc....

10-9 rounds are about a round in which one competitor gains slight or significant advantages according to scoring criteria. Phone Post

The GSP and Clay have a lot of 10-8 rounds Phone Post

Ok, so back to my point.

If a wrestler takes his opponent down, mounts the only effective offense, delivers the only effective offense and delivers the only significant strikes of the round does he get a 10-8 round. Most people barely want to give him a 10-9 rounds, but he does all the things you just mentioned and he doesnt get a 10-8.

Damage is and should be considered when scoring the rounds. No way Shogun's 5th round is more impressive than any round in which a wrestler stays on top control the entire round and takes no damage while infliciting minimal damage. And it shouldnt be more impressive than the beating Dan put on him that almost stopped the fight. Either that 5th round that included no damage was not 10-8, or there are a lot of wrestlers rounds that need to start being scored 10-8.

Rantuckjr - I have a question for all of those who believe that the 5th round should have been 10-8 for Rua.

Should dominating wrestlers who take a guy down in the beginning of the round, and maintain top control and receive no damage from the other guy's guard also receive 10-8 rounds?

Rua had the mount for most of the round, yet did almost no damage. In fact, the fact that he was in such a superior position and could do no damage should be an argument against a 10-8 round. He accomplished no more in that round than a wrestler who takes down his opponent and maintains top control all round while doing minimal damage with hammerfists and pitter patter punches. If Dan doesnt get a 10-8 round for blasting Shogun and being within seconds of the fight being stopped, then Rua doesnt get a 10-8 for sitting on top of him and doing no damage.

I kinda agree here. Phone Post

Not every body gets busted up the same. Shogun landed plenty of effective strikes to 0. I would have definately scored that 10-8. Phone Post

Three words: STEP TO MOUNT

did dan even land a punch in the 5th round?

Everyone says Dan should've had a 10-8 round 3 are nuts. Shogun was offensive for the first half of it Phone Post

Shogun had his way with Hendo the entire round, Hendo did nothing but survive the round, he had absolutely no offece the entire round, if that wasn't a 10-8 then nothing is.

I love both guys but damn you Shogun nuthuggers need to quit being so delusional. Hitting a guy with love taps for 5 mins dosent make up for getting your head fuckstarted for 15. Hendo won fair and square. Phone Post