61* The Movie

Has anyone seen this movie about Marris and Mantle chasing Ruth's single-season record? A friend gave me the DVD last week. I don't know how accurate it was, but it was a good movie.

One thing they mentioned was that when Ruth set the single-season HR record, he took 14 more games to do it than the guy that held it before him. Anyone know the actual numbers behind this?

Good show. Billy Crystal did a lot of interviewing and researching for the movie, it's apparently very accurate. Ruth took 154 games to set the record, and the previous guy had 140. The thing is, Ruth broke that record so bad that the difference in games is a joke, he almost doubled it. He was the first player to ever hit 30 in a season. Same with 40, 50, and 60. There were many years he had more than other teams.

Did he "almost double" it the first time he broke the record? Do you know the name of the previous record holder?

He broke the single-season record for the first time when he hit 29 for the Red Sox in 1919; the previous record was in the teens. 29 seemed unbelievable at the time, but he hit over 50 the next year. I don't know whose record he beat initially though.

I was always under the impression that Ty Cobb was actually the single season record holder for HR before Ruth with like 9 or 12 or something.

Of course anything before 1900 is considered the "Dead Ball" era and I don't believe those records are counted as "modern" - correct?