75 Days from Couch to Marathon

Starting from ground zero and SF Marathon on 23 July. Ground zero meaning not one run or one jog in months, no cardio at all. Waited until after a family get together over the weekend in Vegas to get out with the bad and in with the good. Posting here to motivate me. Plan is to post weekly with any workouts and see my progress up to the marathon. I'm definitely not a natural runner. I know 75 days isn't a lot of time and cramming can cause injury. But I dig the excitement and fear of failure. I'll be 44 in August. I was in the Army for 5 years and fastest 2 mile run I ever did was 14:14. Fastest 1 mile was 6:20. Both back in the Army. I ran the half marathon in 2009 in 2 hours. I could barely walk afterwards. Longest run training for that was a 8 mile run a month before. Those are my 2 longest runs ever. Hoping this gets me back in shape and i loose the dad body by my birthday in August. I'm not quite 5'6 anymore, lost about a half inch over the years, bummer. I weigh 154lbs. Today's workout was 5 minute run, 5 minute walk, and 5 minute run. 20 minute bike ride. 30 minute walk. Gym workout. I need to loosen the whole body up so I don't injure myself by going too hard before my body knows what I'm trying to do. Bucket list here I come.

75 days doesn't sound nearly long enough....

Definitely not enough time. But that's the challenge. And the thought of failure is the motivation. This is like my 75 day fight camp. I'll either get it done or get KOd trying.

You can do it buddy! Best of luck!

Sub to follow, in a similar situation

Eggbert -

You're 54lbs overweight. You're going to have to bust your ass if you want to catch Kenyans and Ethiopians 

Lol, will never catch them. Like catching a crack head, no chance. But I know Oprah and Pdiddy's times and I don't plan to let them take me out.

I like this challenge.

Do it!!

I wonder if I could do this without it effecting my lifting?

Do you have a plan of attack, if so can you post it? Please and thank you

OP is my new hero

Best of luck

Respect for tackling this challenge.

Kwang - There are always people saying there isn't enough time. How much time do you need?

Minimum of 76 days

Is this a full marathon

My only plan is what Ive always done:

Day 1. 5 minute run, 5 minute walk, 5 minute run.

Day 2. 10 minute run, 5 minute walk.

Day 3. 10 minute run, 5 minute walk, 5 minute run

Day 4. 15 minute run, 5 minute walk.

ECT ect.. has worked for me before but never this distance at all. These are all running days, which will not be every day or I will get injured I'm sure with too much too quick.

The SF Marathon let's you plug in a runner's name and track progress and finish time. I will post so you can all confirm my time and wether I crash or burn.

Off for day 2 training. 10 minute run, 5 minute walk. 25 minute bike ride. But the gym for summer guns!