8 inch Knife vs 2 foot metal bar

I'd rather be attacked by a guy with a bar than a knife, so i'd take knife.

A bar is just easier to block, or get out the way off, plus if you get in real close after he misses that bar is now useless, the knife is not useless at any reasonable range.

metal bar. i'm striking at your arms and hands. you drop knife.

i bludgeon you.

i would take a rattan cane over a knife for christ's sake.

Knife all day.

Against the guy with the bar. I throw it, at him.   If it doesn't stick in his eye socket, I run away.

I'm pretty fast.

Can't we just go all Indiana Jones on them, and pull a gun???

Seems like a much better idea.

flip the question and you'll get your answer. Would you rather defend against a 8" knife or 2' club.

To me it's not even a debate, any fight that involves me defending against knives I want nothing to do with.

So I'll take the knife. Phone Post

Knife

A two foot metal bar would be pretty damn heavy, and therefore slow. It would also gas you out swinging it for a sustained period. All it takes is one miss or one non-lethal hit with the bar and the you'll end up with a knife in your ribs.

Knife . Not even close Phone Post

Choochy - 

flip the question and you'll get your answer. Would you rather defend against a 8" knife or 2' club.

To me it's not even a debate, any fight that involves me defending against knives I want nothing to do with.

^ This

The bar is, for the most part, a non-lethal weapon unless it connects cleanly to the head. A knife has a much wider range of lethal targets. I'd much rather face a guy wielding a bar than a guy wielding a blade of any kind.

PayItForward - metal bar. i'm striking at your arms and hands. you drop knife.

i bludgeon you.

Good luck getting both of them before the guy with the knife sticks you in the ribs or goes low and slices your femoral artery. Odds are he'll gladly let you hit his left arm while murdering you with the right before you can reset to strike again.

I'd take the knife,

Get the guy with the bar to commit to a big swing and then stab him

Reminds me of a Red Dwarf episode
Now! Stab him! Stab him! Stab him! Quick! Stab him!
[Paranoia turns to look at the scutter... which has hardly moved]
Rimmer: Uh, you haven't met Stabem, have you?

Letter opener or ice pick?

ImA2TimeLoser - 
Steve4192 -
Choochy -  flip the question and you'll get your answer. Would you rather defend against a 8" knife or 2' club.

^ This

The bar is, for the most part, a non-lethal weapon unless it connects cleanly to the head. A knife has a much wider range of lethal targets. I'd much rather face a guy wielding a bar than a guy wielding a blade of any kind.

You do realize the arm would be so easy to hit with the bar, right? You could break a wrist with a single swing. Phone Post

A wrist is a tiny fucking target. It is far from easy to hit a guy in the wrist with a unwieldy, heavy metal bar. It's even more difficult to retract back and launch a second strike after a miss or a non-lethal hit. If the knife attacker keeps his left hand extended in front of his knife hand, you might just catch the wrong target and pay the price before you can do anything about it.

also, after a miss, you can grab the exposed end of the bar...try grabbing a knife. rushing a guy with a metal bar and closing the distance quickly would diminish the potential power of a swing and likely induce a flinch response. Metal bar guy would be relegated to either landing a really luck shot or getting carved up.

If I have the metal bar against a guy with a knife, I would keep my distance and use my reach advantage and engage him like I'm fencing. No big swing, just little wrist flick and target the knife hand. Most people would have the knife hand as the lead hand and one or two hits on the knife hand and you can basically break the hand or fingers and he won't be able to hold that knife.

If I have the knife, I will protect my knife hand and get him to commit to a big swing like most of you expect, and close the distance. If he fights me like I mentioned above, this fight could go either way. Without the big swing, it will be tough to beat the reach. Phone Post

Knive , I'm assuming the other guy don't know shit lol its like butter baby Phone Post

i bludgeon you.

The thing is, as soon as the knife wielder clinches with you, the metal bar becomes almost completely useless and you've basically lost whether you have it or not, so it's of the utmost importance to keep the guy at bar-swinging range.

It wouldn't be hard for him to retreat completely out of range each time you swing at him, and every time you do, it'd leave you at least slightly off balance and therefore vulnerable to a charge, which could easily result in you being stabbed or deeply cut. Even if you hit an arm and broke it, that probably wouldn't deter him from continuing his attack, and it'd almost certainly be the wrong arm anyway, because, if the guy had any sense, he'd keep his knife hand safely retracted.

I'll whip my 8 inch cock out. Phone Post

ZzFDKzZ -  I'll whip my 8 inch cock out. Phone Post

against a guy with a knife?

we already know that outcome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_and_Lorena_Bobbitt

0_o

ImA2TimeLoser - 
Steve4192 -
ImA2TimeLoser - 
Steve4192 -
Choochy -  flip the question and you'll get your answer. Would you rather defend against a 8" knife or 2' club.

^ This

You do realize the arm would be so easy to hit with the bar, right? You could break a wrist with a single swing. Phone Post

A wrist is a tiny fucking target. It is far from easy to hit a guy in the wrist with a unwieldy, heavy metal bar. It's even more difficult to retract back and launch a second strike after a miss or a non-lethal hit. If the knife attacker keeps his left hand extended in front of his knife hand, you might just catch the wrong target and pay the price before you can do anything about it.

It's two foot! That is so easy to control. I don't see how you think it's like swinging a baseball bat.

And who said the guy with the bar attacks first. Wait till the knife comes and swing. It takes one second to reset to swing a two foot bar.

AND I can bash your head in while you're stabbing me. I might bleed out soon but youll be taken out quickly. ESP if you fall down, then it's just bash until youre no longer moving. Phone Post

I think you are grossly underestimating how heavy a 2' metal bar is.

Even something incredibly thin, like a 1/2" diameter piece of rebar, weighs in at 0.67 pounds per foot of length. A sturdier 0.75" diameter piece of rebar weighs in at 1.5 pounds per foot. A beefy 1" diameter piece of rebar weighs a whopping 2.7 pounds per foot.

Good luck trying to swing around a 1" piece of rebar with any degree of accuracy for any substantial amount of time.

i bludgeon you.

This.

With a rattan you break their wrist or thumb easily and take away their ability to even hold a weapon. With a metal bar you could make sure they never used that hand for anything again.

Most times I would choose range over a blade, unless you are sacrificing too much speed.