80 injured in Medieval Fighting World Championship

TexDeuce -

Looks like Judo would really come in handy here. Upright clinch takedowns, the wheelhouse of judo. Basically that was the derivative of jiu-jitsu from the Samurai.  

That's the reason you get points in Judo for a hard throw on the back or a pin because in the Samurai days they would pull out their smaller sword after a takedown and kill the opponent. 

Also holds true to most fights, slam the guy and get on top and you are likely to win. 

listening to some of these videos, it sounds lilke a lot of these guys have MA backgrounds, especially jiu jitsu and Judo.

Nitecrawler -
EFM -
Nitecrawler -

In the first video posted it looks like if you’re knocked down you’re out for the rest of the round, is that correct?

yeah.  looks like it.  there's a wikipedia page on it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Nations_(Medieval_Tournament)

Valid battle categories

Valid battle categories of the competitions held among national teams on the HMB and a brief explanation of them:

"Triathlon Duel", fights 1 vs 1. The category consists of three rounds with the use of different weapons. The first round lasts one and a half minutes, longswords are used, the second round is held with the use of usual swords and buckler shields, three bouts up to three hits, and the third round lasts a minute and a half with the use of the standard shield and sword. Points are awarded for effective (a clear, stout) blow delivered with the weapon edge to the allowed zone.

"Professional fight", fights 1 vs 1. The category consists of three rounds of three minutes each, pre-selected weapons are used. Points are awarded for effective (a clear, stout) blow delivered with a sword, shield edge, fist, leg, knee, and a good throw with the final blow.

"Five vs five" the group battles "5 vs 5" are the most active kind of buhurt combat. A team fights against a team on a hard bordered list field. One five-member unit includes from five to eight fighters (five fighting in the lists, and three reserve fighters). A fighter who falls down (touches the ground with the third point of support) is out of the battle. There are 3 bouts in a battle until a team wins twice.

“Royal category”, a mass battle "21 vs 21", when up to twenty-one fighters representing a country fight on the field at the same time. There are six reserve fighters. A fighter who falls down is out of battle. A battle continues until the fighters of only one team remain standing on the lists, so their team wins.

"All vs all" are the largest mass battles. All fighters (including those not included in a national team) of all participating countries come to the lists. The participants are divided into equal groups, but in such a way that the representatives of one country are in the same group. A fighter is out of battle if he falls down. Points are awarded to the national teams that are members of the winning side.

Valid non-battle categories

"Contest for the best set of armor and weapons" is held among fighters of the national teams, who can demonstrate only those sets that were used in battles. Assessment is done by knight marshals, the refereeing panel and the organizers of the festival, who take into account the overall level of aesthetics, historicity of a set of armor and weapons, integrity of the individual elements, quality of the items.

"Contest for the best authentic field camp" of a national team. Authenticity, accuracy, functionality, aesthetics and originality, as well as the size of an authentic field camp is assessed by the refereeing panel and the organizers of the festival (it takes place for one day).

"Archery tournament" (bow and crossbow). The tournament is held at a specially equipped place and it takes place for about 2 days. Categories and regulations may vary depending on the festival.

Ok, so if you’re knocked down you’re out but what if you take someone down with like a sacrifice throw, lateral or blast double? 

both out i guess?  didn't see much of that happening.

EFM - 
TexDeuce -

Looks like Judo would really come in handy here. Upright clinch takedowns, the wheelhouse of judo. Basically that was the derivative of jiu-jitsu from the Samurai.  

That's the reason you get points in Judo for a hard throw on the back or a pin because in the Samurai days they would pull out their smaller sword after a takedown and kill the opponent. 

Also holds true to most fights, slam the guy and get on top and you are likely to win. 

listening to some of these videos, it sounds lilke a lot of these guys have MA backgrounds, especially jiu jitsu and Judo.

I just watched a few moments of the vid but I believe it, definitely saw some clinch judo takedowns.

TexDeuce -
EFM - 
TexDeuce -

I just watched a few moments of the vid but I believe it, definitely saw some clinch judo takedowns.

yeah, the commentators are talking about it here

Low T Low IQ -
EFM -

this is fucking nuts.  can't believe i've never heard of this.  has anyone ever died?  what are the rules?

Imagine how many hot guys partake in such a masculine activity

check out this guy getting pounded with an axe.  does that turn you on?

Poleeko -
Yossarian -

When LARPing goes wrong 

When LARPing goes fucking right. 

I stand corrected. 

Those group battles are pretty fuckin cool. Dont know that i could get too into it as a spectator but maybe. Most of those guys looked like they probably sit in front of a computer all day rather than sword fighting. That m1 global ko was dope. If he dies he dies.

EFM -

this is fucking nuts.  can't believe i've never heard of this.  has anyone ever died?  what are the rules?

700 men enter, 1 man leaves. and you better be an honest man when acknowledging legit hits taken, bust a deal face the wheel.

I'm glad these exists. Yet even as a guy that loves freedom and is allergic to lawyers I wonder about the legalities of fighting with axes and swords LOL

There was an article in my local newspaper yesterday about girls doing it, and one of the gals interviewed said "it's not like it's bad or brutal like MMA". I was WTF ha ha. And I did mention M1 Global in my comments as I had seen that shield bashing one on here.

tommyNOfilter - 

Team OG anyone?

I have no problem stepping in a cage with any other unarmed human being in the world but fuck this. Sorry, lol

These are awesome! I would not do it though. Even though some folks are not going full swings, it would still do some damage.

1BL0Wko - 

Real medieval times!?  I’d pay anything for front row tix!

The Dinner and Tournament is still real to me, dammit.

Welcome to Medieval Times...times...times..

Goddamn.

Benntheredunthat - How can I join? I'm glad to start making youtube videos of me training in the backyard with a collander for a helmet and aluminum foil for armor.

I think you should start a gofundme for this

how many people get concussed doing this shit? some of those guys were taking legit shots to the head.

Sober -
Benntheredunthat - How can I join? I'm glad to start making youtube videos of me training in the backyard with a collander for a helmet and aluminum foil for armor.

I think you should start a gofundme for this

how many people get concussed doing this shit? some of those guys were taking legit shots to the head.

Multiple legit shots to the head with fucking battle axes!!!!

There's a guy here who could slice and dice all of em easy peasy!

I'm in. I just bought a fucking awesome armor helmet when I was in Prague.

Since blades aren't sharpened and you're armored head to toe in full plate, seems like the best choice would be a shield and a bludgeon (club/mace/war hammer) and shield, or a fucking pole axe. There also didn't seem to be a lot of tactics, other than wade in and hope for the best.

Not knocking it, that's where the most fun is.

And what kind of injuries were there? Didn't look more serious than the full contact team MMA fights. Sprained joints and mild concussions, most likely. Those 1v1 matches look even worse.

I thought the Dog Brothers were crazy.  This is a whole 'nuther level.