$800: AR-15, lever gun, bolt action, or...?

So I'm thinking my next gun purchase should be a rifle of some sort. I've already got a 12g shotgun and three different 9mm pistols for different situations (range/home, summer carry, winter carry).

I don't want to spend more than $800 for the rifle since where I'm living now there isn't really any outdoor range available to me where I can shoot it beyond 50 yards, so all I can do is practice with it at the indoor range. I just want to have a rifle. So what I've got my eyes on are:

S&W Sport AR-15 (around $650)

A lever action pistol round rifle (.357 maybe, so I can get a revolver to shoot the same cal later down the line?)

308 bolt action of some sort (haven't looked too much into this)

Kel-tec Sub 2000 (shoots 9mm and I can use the bulk ammo 9mm I already have, plus it's so cool that I'd be able to fold that thing up).

What say you, OG?

Yah, optics will be got later down the line. The $800 max budget is for the just the gun and can get me started on basic marksmanship with its built in sights.

Hard to go wrong with ar for fun.
Levers are great fun too.
.308 with out somewhere to shoot long range dosent make much sense.
I would get the ar.... They'll try to ban them again eventually. Phone Post 3.0

Pencil Neck - So I'm thinking my next gun purchase should be a rifle of some sort. I've already got a 12g shotgun and three different 9mm pistols for different situations (range/home, summer carry, winter carry).

I don't want to spend more than $800 for the rifle since where I'm living now there isn't really any outdoor range available to me where I can shoot it beyond 50 yards, so all I can do is practice with it at the indoor range. I just want to have a rifle. So what I've got my eyes on are:

A lever action pistol round rifle (.357 maybe, so I can get a revolver to shoot the same cal later down the line?)

Kel-tec Sub 2000 (shoots 9mm and I can use the bulk ammo 9mm I already have, plus it's so cool that I'd be able to fold that thing up).

What say you, OG?

To be honest I don't like any of those.

S&W makes a nice AR, but the Sport cuts too many corners. Spend a little more and get a better AR.

Lever action rifles are kick ass, but unless your doing Cowboy Action Shooting then don't get a pistol caliber lever gun. Look at a 30-30.

You can shoot .308 out of an AR platform. If you're gonna get a bolt gun then get on in a caliber that NEEDS a strong bolt action to fire it. But not TOO much. You're not going Cape Buffalo hunting. Look at a 30-06.

Never by anything from Kal-Tek.

If I were you I'd get a 30-30 lever carbine and a Ruger 10-22.

I got a 1892 lever in .454 casull. It also takes 45 colt and is a 20" barrel so you can load 10 rounds in the tube. I love it for anything from plinking with cowboy 45 rounds or a big cast bullet behind a full power 454 load that will level anything out there. Phone Post 3.0

What are you using it for?

Remington 700 and leupold 3x9, IMO

phydeau - 
Pencil Neck - So I'm thinking my next gun purchase should be a rifle of some sort. I've already got a 12g shotgun and three different 9mm pistols for different situations (range/home, summer carry, winter carry).

What say you, OG?
<br />
<span class="User-114340" id="userPost49281990">To be honest I don't like any of those.<br />
<br />
S&amp;W makes a nice AR, <strong>but the Sport cuts too many corners</strong>. Spend a little more and get a better AR.<br />
<br />
Lever action rifles are kick ass, but unless your doing Cowboy Action Shooting then don't get a pistol caliber lever gun. Look at a 30-30.<br />
<br />
You can shoot .308 out of an AR platform. If you're gonna get a bolt gun then get on in a caliber that NEEDS a strong bolt action to fire it. But not TOO much. You're not going Cape Buffalo hunting. Look at a 30-06.<br />
<br />
Never by anything from Kal-Tek.<br />
<br />
If I were you I'd get a 30-30 lever carbine and a Ruger 10-22.</span></blockquote>

I thought the only differences between the two was that the sport doesn't have a forward assist or ejection-port cover.

Arglebargle - What are you using it for?

Remington 700 and leupold 3x9, IMO

Responded before reading all responses. I stick by my original statement unless you KNOW you'll never hunt and just want a fun assault rifle for closer range shooting. Then I'd go ak47. You can get a wasr and a bunch if ammo for $800.

I would go with the lever action in a pistol caliber. ARs and 308 bolt guns are way overkill for a 50 yard range.

kicktothecrotch - I would go with the lever action in a pistol caliber. ARs and 308 bolt guns are way overkill for a 50 yard range.

I kinda like the idea of a having the same ammo for pistol and rifle as well, cool american old west style.

A 357 gives you an excuse to buy a revolver later. I'd go that route. Phone Post 3.0

Trust - 

"where I'm living now there isn't really any outdoor range available to me where I can shoot it beyond 50 yards"

Did not catch that part, earlier.  I wouldn't even bother with a centerfire rifle cartridge.  I like the Kel-Tek Sub2000 - if you know where I can get one let me know.  Beretta CX4 would be a good choice as a pistol caliber carbine, too.  Or you could just go with a 22LR, like a Sig R522.  I've seen a lot of good reviews of those.  

I'm seeing the Sub2000 on Gunbroker going for around $650 right now. Just 6 months ago they were going for $1500.

I think I'll rule out the precision bolt action at this point since there's no where near me I can train long range with it. That leaves the convenience of the Keltec Sub2000 shooting 9mm along with my existing pistols and it folding so compact, vs. the AR-15 which is prob more reliable and versatile, vs. the lever action rifle which would just be so much fun shooting and looks so damn old school cool.

Kubla Khan's response that the gov. will prob try to ban AR-15s again at some point kind of shifted the things in favor of that right now, because in the back of my head I agree with him and part of the reason I'd want one is so I'd already have it if the gun control crowd goes uber push for banning again.

The S&W Sport is a good buy.

I have a S&W MP15T for 2 Franklins more...WORTH THE MONEY!!!

Just saying.

Get a 30 06

I like them much better than a .308 Phone Post 3.0

3006 can't fire 308.

308 can fire 3006.

While the M&Ps are solid (not great) ARs, I'd stay away from the sport--just cuts too many corners. Save up for a regular one, or better yet, a BCM.

With regard to optics, the Primary Arms T-1 clone is a great alternative at under $100. While I wouldn't trust it on a duty gun, it works great for all other purposes.

Stay away from Kel-Tec. Nice concepts, but shitty execution.

Still, in the end, if all you will have access to is a 50 yard INDOOR range, I would stay away from rifles period. I absolutely hate shooting rifles indoors, even at our department range. Even double plugged (plugs and muffs), I still feel it on my ears.

For your use, I think a pistol caliber carbine might actually be a good idea.

Think about the Beretta Cx4 Storm or something along those lines.
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/

I don't have actual experience with them, as pistol caliber carbines have fallen out of favor within LE circles. That being said, a friend's wife has one and it is apparently pretty reliable.

Also, look into private gun clubs in your area. They are often very reasonable (e.g. $100/yr dues--even in expensive states like NYS) and may offer a lot better options than the public ranges.

ruger007 - 3006 can't fire 308.

308 can fire 3006.
This is wrong and dangerous advise. Phone Post 3.0

Gforce - While the M&Ps are solid (not great) ARs, I'd stay away from the sport--just cuts too many corners. Save up for a regular one, or better yet, a BCM.

With regard to optics, the Primary Arms T-1 clone is a great alternative at under $100. While I wouldn't trust it on a duty gun, it works great for all other purposes.

Stay away from Kel-Tec. Nice concepts, but shitty execution.

Still, in the end, if all you will have access to is a 50 yard INDOOR range, I would stay away from rifles period. I absolutely hate shooting rifles indoors, even at our department range. Even double plugged (plugs and muffs), I still feel it on my ears.

For your use, I think a pistol caliber carbine might actually be a good idea.

Think about the Beretta Cx4 Storm or something along those lines.
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/

I don't have actual experience with them, as pistol caliber carbines have fallen out of favor within LE circles. That being said, a friend's wife has one and it is apparently pretty reliable.

Also, look into private gun clubs in your area. They are often very reasonable (e.g. $100/yr dues--even in expensive states like NYS) and may offer a lot better options than the public ranges.
If all you have is access to a indoor range, a ar-15 platform chambered in 300blk is wonderful. Use subsonic loads and the difference is very noticeable. If you live in a state where you can get a suppressor, well the 300blk subsonic, suppressed makes shooting a rifle indoors much nicer. Phone Post 3.0

Sagiv Lapkin - 
phydeau - 

What say you, OG?
<br />
<span class="User-114340" id="userPost49281990">To be honest I don't like any of those.<br />
<br />
S&amp;W makes a nice AR, <strong>but the Sport cuts too many corners</strong>. Spend a little more and get a better AR.<br />
<br />
Lever action rifles are kick ass, but unless your doing Cowboy Action Shooting then don't get a pistol caliber lever gun. Look at a 30-30.<br />
<br />
You can shoot .308 out of an AR platform. If you're gonna get a bolt gun then get on in a caliber that NEEDS a strong bolt action to fire it. But not TOO much. You're not going Cape Buffalo hunting. Look at a 30-06.<br />
<br />
Never by anything from Kal-Tek.<br />
<br />
If I were you I'd get a 30-30 lever carbine and a Ruger 10-22.</span></blockquote>

I thought the only differences between the two was that the sport doesn't have a forward assist or ejection-port cover.

Also doesn't have a chrome lined barrel. I like chrome lined barrels.

ruger007 - 3006 can't fire 308.

308 can fire 3006.