802.11b or 802.11g???

which standard would you use and which one has the greatest range. It would only be used for inside a house and networking 3 computers running 2000 pro.
thanks

B for range.

G for speed

okay..got my wireless setup up.. what all do i need to do to secure it... i know i saw a thread on this awhile ago but i could not find it... thanks

Well, a couple of things to do first is to....

Enable WEP.
Enable Mac filtering
Change the Default SSID

I will post a wireless security guide that a posted a while go in a day or so.

great.. thanks

There is no way to secure B from what I hear. I'm sure some of the networking gurus with ping in on this thread about it.

there's no real way to secure B if you use the built-in stuff like WEP without having someone make it their full-time job for any significantly sized network and incurring a lot of hassle.

You can secure B pretty well by using stuff like captive portals transmitting all IP-layer and above stuff with IPSec.

I don't buy the whole B wireless can't be secured.

Granted it can be broken quite easily but he shouldn't be discouraged into doing what at least is provided.

If he was a business protecting data then it can be said he would need to do other precautions like putting it behind a VPN etc.

The fact of the matter is, enabling WEP, Mac filtering, changing the SSID, and installing a sniffer of your own is more then enough to keep SK's at bay.

A real "hacker" is not going to be the slight bit aroused by this guy's house to go through the trouble of sitting outside his house to heist his internet connection or read his email.

thanks again everyone

"I don't buy the whole B wireless can't be secured.

Granted it can be broken quite easily but he shouldn't be discouraged into doing what at least is provided."

I absolutely agree, it's better than nothing.

it's just nowhere where it should be.

Yes, I also agree Rob.

What do you see in the pike as far as wireless security goes?

I have been reading some things on the future of it.

Wireless from what I see is just going to get bigger. I get more and more clients calling for wireless solutions but as you said, protecting them is a full time job.

802.11i may or may not get it right. if it does, decent wireless security may be a lot cheaper and some of the explosive growth in wireless security will level off, but it will still grow decently.

the problem with 802.11B security is that it was designed by a bunch of straightlaced engineers with no real crypto theory guys, no real crypto implimenters, and no real security engineers/31337 haX0rs/secure protocol designers on the team.

so, it looked nice, but it crumbled like a house of cards when it was put under serious scrutiny.

Bruce Scheiner was pretty precient, he was predicting back in 99 or 00 that wireless security would be a problem after talking to a member of the design team for 802.11B security and realizing they did not have a clue.

802.11i security, aka WPA2 (really has nothing to do with WPA1 much) is different. the IEEE made sure to get some real experts and badasses to work on this protocol's security, since it's crucial for them to get it right this time. If there is a major break in 802.11i so it starts to be as open as B, the IEEE is going to be dealing with a lot of very pissed off people who are going to be less inclined to pay their membership dues.

they are using AES, which is pretty strong and is the standard. I would be more comfortable if they used Twofish or Serpent which are known to be the two strongest symmetric ciphers out there in most cryptographers estimation, but 802.11 runs on embedded devices that are resource-constrained, so AES makes sense since it's memory-cheap and fast, it's better than RC4 which was known to be getting long in the tooth at the time it was used. Block ciphers like AES are generally considered stronger than stream ciphers like RC4 anyway.

the really important thing is that they have dropped CRC32 checksums for data integrity and are going with a secure cryptographic hash, I think SHA1. Again, I would prefer SHA512, but this is embedded gear, so you have tradeoffs. SHA1 is not bad for now, just may have problems in the far future.

wireless is inherently less secure than wired, but 802.11i may make it "close enough".

if 802.11i survives the first flurry of scrutiny when it gets released, businesses are going to EAT IT UP.

security is one of the #1 problems with Wi-Fi adoption right now.

hackers will then intensify attacks on the older networks.

B is broken... I predict someone will effectively break G security (WPA) within the next 3-4 years, especially if 802.11i is a tough nut to crack.

B gear will be the first to be replaced with I gear.. because you can't just do a firmware upgrade, upgrade to I will be costly for legacy gear, so the older stuff that's totally security broken and getting old will be upgraded first.

that will leave potentially vulnerable G gear as a layer for hackers to attack from.

people may also use start using programming vulns in specific common wireless firmware-running access points 's network layers like Cisco's to attack them... buffer overflows, etc. can work on embedded devices too if the designers weren't careful, and they often aren't... if you know x86 assembler, you can learn MIPS or Sparc or Motorola or embedded PPC or whatever the router uses, it just takes time. And EVERYONE and their mother still uses C or C++ in the embedded world, although they kind of have to.

Good insight Rob.

Thanks!