a big day for CBS...

Alabama vs Miss and LSU vs Florida...millions of viewers and huge ratings.

Will we finally start to see a healthy Strikeforce promotional campaign? Or will CBS be skimpy by placing only a single promo in the pregame or halftime?

Too bad I won't be watching that game.

AmericanPsychoMMA - Too bad I won't be watching that game.

Two games on CBS today, no?

I'm guessing you'll be watching Ohio State on ABC.

Good thread

I think today's the day we'll start to see some things. 

Even if they just adapted that bizarre "Fedor Coming to Showtime" commercial to coming to CBS it would be a good idea.

I was watching Spike's UFC line-up last night of back-to-back Unleashed episodes, and the Shogun v Lyoto spot aired every single break. I'm guessing part of the UFC's broadcast deal with Spike is ownership of some in-program spot inventory.

CBS can't do the same volume of spots for Strikeforce, but I think they should try to squeeze in at least two Strikeforce promos during gameplay - not pregame, halftime, or post - to really catch the attention of the viewers.

we're still a month out from the show.

I am certain some people at CBS and/or consultants they've retained have ascertained that advertising sports events more than a month away has little return on capital.  basically people will forget about it by the time events rolls around.  So all of those people harping on and on that they haven't done anything to market this show need to relax.

You need to steadily build awareness leading up to the event without over-hyping it.  I think you'll see a gradual increase in exposure over the next month, and I think Patrick is right, college football is pretty much the ideal place to start given that its a saturday viewership contingent and the viewership of college football corresponds most with the potential viewership of MMA of probably any of CBS's programming.

The college American football is being shown here this afternoon on ESPN America. Fuck watching that.

Now for the relevant part:

I hope they start advertising the Strikeforce show too.

Frat response below. Thanks for your question, Look It Up.

Look it Up - Patrick I have gathered from your threads that you know a lot about the advertising/promo biz. So how is the Strikeforce/CBS model different from the EliteXC/CBS model?

I ran a boutique marketing & p.r. agency and worked in TV advertising in the '90s. I got involved in MMA via Superbrawl/Icon Sport around 2000/2001. And I ended up as one of two Marketing Managers at EliteXC. The other was Gary Shaw's personal secretary. So, I know a little about TV and the MMA biz, but there's a lot I don't know. I wish I could comment more on the details of the EliteXC/CBS deal but honestly Gary Shaw and ProElite management kept me and mostly everyone else in the dark on the nature of our network TV deal. Gary pretty much told me (and others) that any TV promo campaigns, either with Showtime or CBS, were 100% the responsibility of those networks, so we shouldn't even try to get involved. Gary's management style was such that he hoarded information.

Look it Up - Obviously, SF has Fedor, but he's really not that well-known to casual American fans. EliteXC had Kimbo, who is probably 10X the draw that Fedor is (sadly).

Yep...Kimbo was branded via youtube. CBS didn't have to promote him too much. Its a different story with Fedor. He's unknown. As is Rogers.

Look it Up - Pretty much any business boils down to marketing, especially entertainment. So if CBS won't promote this, how can Strikeforce expect to fare any better than EXC?

This is why I'm so worked up about the actions (or inactions) of CBS. I'm worried for Strikeforce and my friend Scott Coker. I want them to succeed so that we have two great MMA organizations, the UFC and Strikeforce. I'm bothered that we aren't just seeing enough promos for Nov 7, but that there aren't just generic promos for the Strikeforce brand and its players. Its not enough just to promote the 'event' that's coming on Nov 7. The 'brand' must be promoted as well so that fans know who the hell Strikeforce is.

Look it Up - It looks to me that SF is following the exact same business model as EXC, for better or worse.

Strikeforce has better leadership. Coker is as smart as they come. He has years of experience not just with Strikeforce, but also with K-1 USA...which he did get onto ESPN.

The big problem facing Strikeforce is that they just don't reach enough fans frequently enough via their events. 3 or 4 events on CBS doesn't make the same impact as 4 hours of UFC programming and UFC promos every commercial break on Spike 365 days a year. So, void of a program like TUF, Unleashed, and Spike's ongoing promo campaign, Strikeforce needs CBS to step up with a constant flow of promos that run 24/7/365. Not just the 2-3 weeks out before their periodic events.

Patrick, did you read the response on bloodyelbow to your post from a couple of days ago? If you didn't know, they quoted you and offered a contrasting opinion. Worth having a look at.

I didn't see it. I looked for it, but couldn't find it. Can you link it? Thanks.

Ta daaa:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/stories/3

Its at the bottom of the page, with the headline: 'Revisionist History: CBS Didn't Kill EliteXC'

I have no opinion on the matter, I live in the UK and have no idea how well CBS were marketing their EliteXC shows, but it's an interesting discussion. 

Thanks.

Fedor will be routing for LSU to win today, November 7th the CBS game will be LSU vs Alambama, if they are both undefeated it will be a huge national game and a great lead in to the Fedor/Rogers fight

Penn State fan here. Is Tim Tebow even playing?
PatrickFreitas - 
AmericanPsychoMMA - Too bad I won't be watching that game.

Two games on CBS today, no?

I'm guessing you'll be watching Ohio State on ABC.

I work for a CBS affiliate....we have a number of "who is Fedor" spots lined up to air tonight during the game.

and Tebow is listed as a gametime decision, but our sources have confirmed he will play. Take that for whats it worth...which is not a lot since we havent been able to independently confirm it.

Florida official told me earlier today that they will NOT make a decision until Tebow arrives at the stadium late this afternoon.

PatrickFreitas - I didn't see it. I looked for it, but couldn't find it. Can you link it? Thanks.

Basically, they accused you of being bitter because the CBS deal to purchase EXC fell through.

Mad Xyientist -  we're still a month out from the show.

I am certain some people at CBS and/or consultants they've retained have ascertained that advertising sports events more than a month away has little return on capital.  basically people will forget about it by the time events rolls around.  So all of those people harping on and on that they haven't done anything to market this show need to relax.

You need to steadily build awareness leading up to the event without over-hyping it.  I think you'll see a gradual increase in exposure over the next month, and I think Patrick is right, college football is pretty much the ideal place to start given that its a saturday viewership contingent and the viewership of college football corresponds most with the potential viewership of MMA of probably any of CBS's programming.

MX never underestimate the utter stupidity of studio and network execs. They SWEAR up and dow that what they are doing is right and the best biz decision and it will barely pass the straight face test...

Stranglehold26 - I work for a CBS affiliate....we have a number of "who is Fedor" spots lined up to air tonight during the game.

and Tebow is listed as a gametime decision, but our sources have confirmed he will play. Take that for whats it worth...which is not a lot since we havent been able to independently confirm it.

Florida official told me earlier today that they will NOT make a decision until Tebow arrives at the stadium late this afternoon.

good info, so just for the Florida/LSU game? Anything for the Bama/Ole Miss game?

ttt

Looking at the commercial line up the only ones I see appear in the night game.