a big day for CBS...

But I could missing one or two....reading a commercial log while the Tide is whuppin dat ass is too boring.

thanks MB, just turned from the Bama game like 15 minutes ago and they finally show something, lol

just saw a spot during LSU/Florida.

MonstersBall...got your email. Thanks.

Everyone elso...thanks for playing along with my thread. I've been out all day and wasn't able to check in (you can blame my GF for that). Flipping back and forth tween Texas v Co and LSU v FLA now. Seen one :05 tease for :20 or :30 spot featuring Fedor. Awesome start. I still stand by my argument that this campaign could've and shouldve started weeks ago, but still great to see.

maybe they will show some spots today during the NFL games

Anyone YouTube that 5 second ad yet?

I thought there was a 5 second ad and a 20-30 second one also

They showed it during one of the NFL games on CBS yesterday . My cousins asked, "Who's the Russian guy?" I got a little smile on my face and then proceeded to talk about him like I know Fedor as a best friend!

Good job CBS!

I saw it quite a bit too during CBS sports this weekend. Nicely done. Still think the campaign is a little late, but its great that the message is finally trickling out to sports fans.

Staying on the critical side, I think the copy and production value of the first :30-promo is okay but not great. When I saw the spot I tried to forget that I already know about Fedor and even MMA...tried to put myself in the seat of the know-nothing sports fan, and then ask, 'did that spot catch my attention?' I'd give it about a B-/C+ for copy. I like that they kept the first message simple by only communicating the one clear message 'the greatest fighter in the world is coming to CBS.' Smart of them to roll the campaign with waves of layering information...which is exactly why I have been harping that the campaign should've started 3-4 weeks ago.

But I would've liked to have seen a step up in production value via cutting-edge music, better cinematography, and animated graphics...based on what it takes to attract the interest of the targeted Male 18-34 demo. If I'm going to produce a spot for this demo (and I have the production resources of CBS), I'm going to use the look and feel of current music videos and video game ads as my inspiration. I thought the shots of Fedor punching a heavy bag were just so-so. Kinda boring. Not dramatic at all.

I'm not hatin'...I really want Strikeforce to succeed so we have two great promotions in the US. But my mixed mma and marketing background can't help me but to analyze every move they make.

These promos are pathetic this late in the game.

Those aren't going to get more people and casual fans to watch. They aren't branding this show. They aren't branding Fedor.

Fedor coming to CBS? That's it. That's an ad you put out several months before an event.

The only thing about designing an ad campaign for those who don't know anything about the sport is that it makes it seem apologetic and self-conscious about being a sport not everyone knows about. Same with the skinless animations on the Showtime shows, aimed at novices to MMA. Gives an inferior impression, rather than saying 'This is our sport, here we are' it becomes 'Please pay attention to our new little sport that you've never seen before'.

Difficult balance to strike.

NFL and college football advertising is not cheap, even for the network that owns the time slot.

That's 15 seconds they can't sell for a VERY hefty price during an NFL game. 

It's easy to say "oh they should just advertise every break for 9 months before the show" but its another thing to do it.

UFC can saturate Spike Advertising because no one else wants it, and ExTendZ doesn't pay the same advertising rates that Coca Cola and General Motors do during an NFL Broadcast.  If the UFC was advertising on CBS you'd see FAR less ads for the same promotional budget.  That's why SpikeTV is great for them.

The animations on Showtime look horrible along with the idiotic analysis that comes with them.

Hendo, casual fans aren't watching the stupid animations on Strikeforce. They are watching TUF and UFC events that don't have stupid stuff like that.

I know you're trolling, but this guy disagrees:

FRAT

but I caught the end of  the worst Strikefoce Fedor commercial in passing while clicking thru  NFL games yesterday..If I didnt know who Fedor was in passing I would have paid no mind to it at all.  Was he swinging a sledgehammer or something?  Was so quick I suspect casual viewer gettin up to take a piss didnt know if it was a extreme home makeover or bridgestone tire commercial.

Mad Xyientist - NFL and college football advertising is not cheap, even for the network that owns the time slot.

Who says the ads have to relegated to NFL and college football?

It's easy to say "oh they should just advertise every break for 9 months before the show" but its another thing to do it.

How is that an excuse?

UFC can saturate Spike Advertising because no one else wants it, and ExTendZ doesn't pay the same advertising rates that Coca Cola and General Motors do during an NFL Broadcast.  If the UFC was advertising on CBS you'd see FAR less ads for the same promotional budget.  That's why SpikeTV is great for them.

Why are you so close minded and thinking CBS is the only outlet for advertising?

Kimbo/Elite XC had commercials running for months before the event on cbs.

I've seen 1 commercial for Strikeforce when watching college and nfl on cbs.

Mad Xyientist - I know you're trolling, but this guy disagrees:

Gladiator intro > shitty muscle body animations.

Mad Xyientist - NFL and college football advertising is not cheap, even for the network that owns the time slot.

UFC can saturate Spike Advertising because no one else wants it, and ExTendZ doesn't pay the same advertising rates that Coca Cola and General Motors do during an NFL Broadcast. If the UFC was advertising on CBS you'd see FAR less ads for the same promotional budget. That's why SpikeTV is great for them.

^good point...and that's the best example & definition of 'opportunity cost.'

Yet every network has their own inventory of promos that, although sharing the same break space as paid advertising (coke/ford/aflac/etc), are property of the network to push their own programming. This inventory is typically protected from sale. I think it may be more accurate to say that the Strikeforce/Fedor promos are being inserted at the cost of promoting other CBS programs. And I'm sure CBS wants to promote the heck out of Strikeforce, but they also don't want to miss the opportunity to promote their regular shows.

Like you said, MX, its totally different for Spike & UFC. Spike has almost NOTHING else on its network but the UFC, so it has no problem giving them promo space at every break. Strikeforce just doesn't have this luxury at CBS. At the end of the day, shows like 'Two and a half men' and 'How I met your mother' are of greater promotional priority than some MMA event at CBS.

But I can't help but go back to my point that the limited promo inventory is just another reason why the campaign should've started weeks ago.

Why is everyone thinking only CBS? CBS isn't the only network in town.

Someone tell me something? Besides the internet, have you seen ads anywhere at all other than CBS? TV spots are only one facet of marketing.

This is Strikeforce's biggest and most important show of all time and there is NOTHING out there for it. Nothing on radio. No billboards. No other commercials. There's jack crap.