a big day for CBS...

I like Strikeforce.

Saying that, this event won't get anything like Elite XC ratings.

The Elite XC event(Kimbo/Thompson) was in May and they started running commercials during March Madness(NCAA basketball).

I watch college and nfl football on cbs every weekend. Yesterday I saw 1 Strikeforce commercial and that was the first one I've seen.

The event is less than a month away.

TheVileOne - 
Mad Xyientist - I know you're trolling, but this guy disagrees:

Gladiator intro > shitty muscle body animations.

That's like a spelling bee between two retarded kids.

PatrickFreitas -

Yet every network has their own inventory of promos that, although sharing the same break space as paid advertising (coke/ford/aflac/etc), are property of the network to push their own programming. This inventory is typically protected from sale. I think it may be more accurate to say that the Strikeforce/Fedor promos are being inserted at the cost of promoting other CBS programs. And I'm sure CBS wants to promote the heck out of Strikeforce, but they also don't want to miss the opportunity to promote their regular shows.

Good info.  I would think they're "home inventory" is still lower during a highly rated broadcast like the NFL, correct?  If they have something that they have a high market for advertisers for, I would guess that they limit how much they claim for themselves, as opposed to steady things like news broadcasts or serial shows.  I'm also guessing that's part of the reason I always Joe Buck or Al Michaels advertising other network properties during the broadcast. 

Who is this Fedor guy everyone is talking about?

TheVileOne - Why is everyone thinking only CBS? CBS isn't the only network in town.

Because network promos via the organizations' (UFC or SF) TV deals make 90% their advertising impact. The UFC would be as nearly invisible as Strikeforce if you imagined them without SpikeTV's huge promo bank, as well as the cable providers' promo support (ie. promo spots that Time Warner runs for UFC programming on other cable networks like ESPN, MTV, VH1, etc). UFC doesn't buy these spots. And as large as that organization is, it couldn't afford to purchase that volume of national advertising. Strikeforce's budget is just a fraction of the UFC's, so there's no way they can buy a volume of national ads either. Like the UFC, they are reliant upon the promos given by the network.
TheVileOne - Someone tell me something? Besides the internet, have you seen ads anywhere at all other than CBS? TV spots are only one facet of marketing.

Because TV promotion is the biggest facet, by a long shot. Keep in mind that the UFC escaped extinction when it landed a TV deal and received the bounty of Spike's network promos. Radio, billboards, and the rest are nice support vehicles, but TV is all that really matters in reaching a major national audience. Does the NFL or NBA or MLB really utilize major radio or billboard ads? No way. They don't even buy advertising...its all network supported promos.

However I would agree with you that Strikeforce should utilize the web more via social networking and other inexpensive guerilla advertising.

Reading some of these comments, it's pretty apparent how Fedor has bankrupt previous promotions. I may be in the minority here, but I'm glad to see Strikeforce sticking with their business model. His first fight on broadcast TV isn't as important as his second, or his third. Until he actually fights under that banner, there's no way that CBS and Strikeforce can effectively hype him to be as much of a draw as Kimbo was to CBS/EXC. Just because it's his first fight on the network does not mean it's his most important, unless you think he loses.

PatrickFreitas - ...Strikeforce should utilize the web more via social networking and other inexpensive guerilla advertising.
Couldn't agree more: Strikeforce is woefully behind the times with respect to both the web and viral marketing.

M-1 should be the one paying to promote Fedor.

^adding on to my last post...

VileOne, I'd also agree with you that billboards and radio make perfect sense for driving local ticket sales in the Chicago market. But as far as promoting the national TV broadcast, these advertising tools aren't nearly as effective as TV.

PatrickFreitas - ^adding on to my last post...

VileOne, I'd also agree with you that billboards and radio make perfect sense for driving local ticket sales in the Chicago market. But as far as promoting the national TV broadcast, these advertising tools aren't nearly as effective as TV.

I frequently see UFC billboards here in LA and this is when we haven't had a UFC here in like 3 years.

UFC advertises their PPV's on the radio as well. Like on The Jungle, they play radio advertisements for UFC events.

So its just to show how far UFC goes to push their shows.

Yes, TV is the main way to market and promote a show. But CBS and Showtime are already failing at that.

What about TV guest spots? Sports talk shows? Jim Rome has UFC and WEC fighters on his shows constantly. Why isn't Brett Rogers going onto Jim Rome? What about guys like Jake Shields and Mayhem? UFC constantly pushes their guys out there and everywhere. Strikeforce has not taken the steps necessary to push their brand and product.

^ agree that Strikeforce should be trying to get Rogers out there since he speaks English.  Carano was everywhere when her fight against Cyborg. 

Zedlepln - 

Reading some of these comments, it's pretty apparent how Fedor has bankrupt previous promotions.

Fedor hasn't bankrupted anyone.  That is a falsehood that has been propogated by far less intelligent and more agenda'ed people than yourself.

Pride got taken of Japanese Network TV and was dead after that.

Bodog was run like a mess from the very beginning and never attracted an audience.

Affliction spent tons of money on their whole card, not just Fedor, and failed to do enough PPV buys to break even.

Fedor didn't do it, the harshness of the MMA promotion business coupled with the unwillingness to work within its constraints bankrupted them.  You could say that Benji Radach bankrupts MMA orgs if you want to make an arguement that flimsy.  Correlation does not imply causation.

You are correct, MX. I ran with the hyperbole simply for emphasis and should not have.

no haha i know that's one of those things that keeps getting repeated so much I fear its going to become conventional wisdom. 

I hate it when the trolls actually win.

Fedor doesn't bankrupt MMA organizations. It just seems to happen where every organization he worked for no longer seems to be promoting MMA. Except M-1 Global of course :D .

"Fedor doesn't bankrupt MMA organizations. It just seems to happen where every organization he worked for no longer seems to be promoting MMA. Except M-1 Global of course :D"

So why do people want to see him in the UFC?!?!?!? He could single-handedly kill the sport if we see him in the octagon.

^ If Fedor does what he supposed to do and win nobody will bankrupt. 

Now that CBS has paid money to get Fedor, they are scared to spend more money on promoting him. It's pretty obvious.

^ I guess they don't want to take the chance of spending money only for not many viewer to watch in the first place.